SaltCritters.com

Ok, I hate nerite snails

wangspeed

Really, my little Biocube 14 has nerite snail eggs all over. At first I thought they were just laying them on the back plastic wall. Nope. If you look at the rocks, they are all over the rocks too. I only have 5 of them too. Even when the eggs get ripped off, open, get eaten, etc, it leaves a ring. I'm much happier with my other snail selections.

Never again will I get another nerite. Looking at getting a 75 gallon, and there won't be a single nerite in it.

good to know, even for a small Evo 8. My tanks only a month old today and I have 2 astreas, which mind you, look big in a small tank like that, 2 stomatellas (but they've spawned like 2x in a week), abt 4 colonistas, and one other little snail which I have yet to name. I don't plan on getting any more but thanks for the warning on nerites.

I hate nerites too but it's because they like to climb out of the tanks every few days and I have to go look around the tank/room and put them back in the tank only to repeat again few days later.

I got my nerites from Reef Cleaners and they are awesome. I especially like the virgin nerites, they are smaller and don't spend as much time at the water line. Even my big ones have not left the tank though (I've had them almost 6 weeks), they sometimes cruise around at the water line but stay inside. Maybe it's because I have a rim on my tank.

Justin_Luke

turbo snails are the absolute best algae eaters, I have 7 in my 40 breeder and they doo an incredible job. Sure they may knock something over now and then, but its hard to argue with the results

I got my nerites from Reef Cleaners and they are awesome. I especially like the virgin nerites, they are smaller and don't spend as much time at the water line. Even my big ones have not left the tank though (I've had them almost 6 weeks), they sometimes cruise around at the water line but stay inside. Maybe it's because I have a rim on my tank.

+1 to reef cleaners nerites. Mine never have any issues. My ceriths, on the other hand, never eat anything worthwhile. The nerites do all the work.

The eggs are annoying though, I agree.

• 2 weeks later...

I got Nerita versicolor from reef cleaners in my nerite order, and they never went below the water line. Recently I picked up some N. fulgurans last month and they've been cruising around all over the tank and laying eggs on stuff too. They've mostly left their eggs on the glass by the back wall though so it hasn't been a problem. A couple of them like to sleep in the sump in the day time.

I recently got Trochus snails for the first time and they are beastly. I have never witnessed a harder working snail.

I find turbo snails to be lazy. Mine will eat sometimes but will often just "sleep" for a day before moving again.

Yup. I really would like to boil my nerites in return for all these eggs and replace 5 of them with just 1 more trochus. My wife would probably protest the act though...

• 1 year later...

I got 5 nerites with my reef cleaner package and I didn't even realize they would breed in your tank until i noticed 3 new small ones (with shells already). I never see any eggs anywhere but I think it is because I have a biocube and I believe they are breeding in one of the back chambers where the water is less salty (I'm always pulling them out of there too..) They seem to be my best snails for cleaning the glass, and I think them breeding in tank is awesome!!

Check your tanks at night; you'll see the nerites chowing down.

I'm quite happy with my Nerites. They can't eat longer hair algae but they seem to live for ever especially compared to ceriths.

I hate my nerites i am getting rid of them..it seems all they do is make a break for my overflow..its been more then 2 times I woke middle of night to burping toilet sounding drain cause big ones go in and clog it and almost overflow tank. I cant even throw in sump cause they have plugged up my skimmer outlet and caused it to overflow in sump as well. POS snails

I hate my nerites i am getting rid of them..it seems all they do is make a break for my overflow..its been more then 2 times I woke middle of night to burping toilet sounding drain cause big ones go in and clog it and almost overflow tank. I cant even throw in sump cause they have plugged up my skimmer outlet and caused it to overflow in sump as well. POS snails

ha, mine have almost flooded me a few times too. A few have ended up as mantis food because of it.

• 1 month later...
thesmallerthebetter

never had much luck with nerites either. these days all i use are ceriths and bumblebees (when i can get them).

My nerites love to ride on my spin nozzle. I have eggs everywhere too. They don't try to escape anymore. (did try once). I think they love the spin nozzle too much to leave now!

GoldenHawk

Ha! Oh nerites....they do an 'ok' job at cleaning the tank, and I can almost tolerate their constant egg laying. But they're suicidal. On my old tank w/ an overflow, they'd get sucked into the back compartment and rattle around...or escape from the tank completely. With my drilled tank, one of them somehow managed to get down into my sump. Mind you, I cover my pipes with netting to prevent that kind of behavior. How that voodoo nerite managed to pass through is beyond me...

• 3 weeks later...

We have nerites and the eggs are all over the place. I counted right at 100 the other day. If they get on the glass I scrape them but haven't messed with the ones on the back wall. The big ones get out about once a week. I think they like cleaning the outside of the tank!

• 1 year later...

I hate my nerites as they lay hundreds of eggs daily. I scrape them off but the fish just ignore the eggs. Seriously considering returning the nerites to the lfs

Archived