Top Shelf Aquatics

I FOUND STAR GRASS!

MeepNand

hypostatic

I ordered from them too recently. Micro stars and sea grass. The first shipment was a disaster. Nothing survived. I guess poor USPS handling? Contacted the vendor and he refunded the order and sent a replacement :) . The micro stars didn't make it once again; both times they were completely torn to shreds. The star grass arrived in a much better condition, although some of it did not survive shipping. Some of the grass that DID survive is already sending up some new shoots, it seems to be a quick growing plant.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How does this stuff grow? I love the way they look but I am afraid to add caulerpas to my display tank, I've made that mistake in the past. I am just wondering if this caulerpa grows rapidly like the more common species of caulerpa. I am using LEDs, around 15k.

Caulerpa isn't a very small genus, some species are oh how to put this delicately, THE DEVILS ####ING SPAWN! However, there are some species that aren't as invasive and some are quite amazing.

Star Grass (Halophila engelmannii) isn't a caulerpa species, it is a species of the genus Halophila. This genus includes some of the smaller seagrass species, I hope they become more popular as they don't get large, their root systems are smaller, and they are very pretty.

If you have some WW, DR, or NW (A few LED's with a higher CRI) I think you'll be fine, maybe try to make the light 10-12K for part of the day.

Does anyone know if the clams can survive in my fuge long term? I thought sticking a few in there would be cool and filter a bit too.

Does anyone know if the clams can survive in my fuge long term? I thought sticking a few in there would be cool and filter a bit too.

I think that clams were not so good because they burrow and are hard to feed. I think they die.

I think that clams were not so good because they burrow and are hard to feed. I think they die.

thank you

oh they are burrowing clams? Like for DSB? hmmm.

Not sure actually. But they might be.

Anyway, John from Florida Pets (not John from Reef Cleaners) contacted me. He said he has been monitoring this thread and is offering me free shipping even though I am in CA due to its traffic! This prompted me to ask my parents about getting another aquarium, and this time they said yes after learning what an awesome deal this was. So I am getting star and shoal grass from him in a month or two!

Anybody else in CA can contact me if they want grasses after I set up the tank.

Let me know when you get the star grass! Been looking for some for s long time! See if he would ship some to los Angeles!

Anyway, John from Florida Pets (not John from Reef Cleaners) contacted me. He said he has been monitoring this thread and is offering me free shipping even though I am in CA due to its traffic! This prompted me to ask my parents about getting another aquarium, and this time they said yes after learning what an awesome deal this was. So I am getting star and shoal grass from him in a month or two!

Let me know when you get the star grass! Been looking for some for s long time! See if he would ship some to los Angeles!

Contact him. If he says no, I will be happy to give you some in a few months.

Just wanted to update that John from Florida Pets offered me 10 free brittle stars and free shipping since my last ones didn't make it.

I ordered some gracilaria, shoal grass, and more star grass.

The brittle stars were all in-tact and wriggling this time, yay! I ordered 1/2 cup of gracilaria and received a cup of two kinds. One thicker branched and bright red and a thinner branched redish-brown kind. I ordered two stems of star grass and got a 6 stemmed one, and I ordered 6 plants of shoal grass and got more like 12.

Definitely got more than my $'s worth.

E-mailed him and will see how it goes. Hope he will ship some of his stuff to me. Sounds like a great guy with great customer service!

Contact him. If he says no, I will be happy to give you some in a few months.

I emailed John as well about shipping to CA and he said he would ship anything that wasn't plants to me for the regular shipping cost. That's fine because I actually wasn't interested in the star grass, but some of the unique snails and the burrowing brittle stars he has on the site. Thanks for posting this thread!

hypostatic

Just wanted to update that John from Florida Pets offered me 10 free brittle stars and free shipping since my last ones didn't make it.

Definitely got more than my $'s worth.

Yeah, the customer service has been ++ for me too.

Shipping's been.... ehh. The replacement package for my first order was very well made with insulation panels and everything. None of the brittle stars made it tho. I really think someone at USPS decides to shake my packages to see if they can guess whats inside....

hypostatic

Oh and a note on the star grass. It seems to be pretty tolerant of tank conditions and it's growing pretty fast for me. But it also seems pretty delicate. Most of the stems that originally came and looked like they were in good condition haven't made it for some reason. BUT, there's new stems to replace the old ones.

Yeah, the customer service has been ++ for me too.

Shipping's been.... ehh. The replacement package for my first order was very well made with insulation panels and everything. None of the brittle stars made it tho. I really think someone at USPS decides to shake my packages to see if they can guess whats inside....

Ya, whenever I received a package that says "fragile", It is like it was an open invitation to play kickball with my package.

I haven't had any star grass die off but it definitely grows like a weed!

Actually. packages marked with "fragile" are 20% more likely to be broken.

Same with "Live fish".

jedimasterben

wait, seriously? is there like a study on this? haha

I worked in shipping for several years. You want your box to be plain and brown, no writing on it, no fancy markings or colors or anything - only a plain brown box with the shipping label. Do anything and everything you can to make it NOT stand out and the chances of it arriving intact are greatly increased.

I ordered some of the star grass after looking at it for a while now lol. Maybe I'll have that spread around my sandbed and have some cactus caulerpa going in the back of the tank, that stuff seems to love my tank for once.

I'll take some in a year or two.

I worked in shipping for several years. You want your box to be plain and brown, no writing on it, no fancy markings or colors or anything - only a plain brown box with the shipping label. Do anything and everything you can to make it NOT stand out and the chances of it arriving intact are greatly increased.

I ordered some of the star grass after looking at it for a while now lol. Maybe I'll have that spread around my sandbed and have some cactus caulerpa going in the back of the tank, that stuff seems to love my tank for once.

Maybe my next reef-cleaner order I'll ask John not to put the fragile sticker on it. My last order they punched a hole in one side and smashed the other side. Snails made it okay though.

I emailed John as well about shipping to CA and he said he would ship anything that wasn't plants to me for the regular shipping cost. That's fine because I actually wasn't interested in the star grass, but some of the unique snails and the burrowing brittle stars he has on the site. Thanks for posting this thread!

I emailed John too. No go on the star grass to california... Anyone have some they'd like to send to me? Let me know....

Archived