ReefCleaners.org

New Hobbyist looking to join a community

Thanos616

Hey everyone, I'm Bobby, I'm 29 years old and live in FL.

I've been keeping freshwater tanks for a few years and finally graduated to the big leagues.

I recently purchased a biocube 29 I got on sale at my LFS for $179 and want to eventually make it into a reef.

Here's a pic

2ikaydy.jpg

It's been Cycling 4 days now, I'm running 2 koralia 425gph powerheads, a mj1200 return pump, inTank Media basket with floss, purigen, and chemi pure elite. I'm running a 100w heater in Chamber 1 currently at 82 degrees to help the cycle. I also have the inTank fuge basket which i plan of stuffing with chaeto once the tank cycles and intank's LED fuge light that attaches to the back. (glass is scraped paint free). So what do you guys think? anything I should know about this setup that may not be available on the internet? I've done countless hours of reading the last few months...

I've got an excellent LFS 2 minutes from my house, I've watched them refuse to sell tangs to guys with fluval edges. I'm using their pre-mixed RO water for the initial fill and changes. That's all I can think to tell you for now... I know I'm going to have a a$$load of question in the coming years so be ready and thanks for reading.

:welcome: lots of Florida reefers on here to trade and swap with, wish some of them were near me. Goodluck, everyone is pretty good about answering questions here too.

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words. Do any of you know any details about this filter floss? I read that it should be changed 1-2 times per week so I just changed mine and got some really cloudy water in the process. Hope I was supposed to do that during the cycle...

Welcome! - good looking tank!

filter floss can be changed once a week give or take a few days.. just don't let it start to break down and become a nitrate factory.. it's really good for polishing your water and getting it nice and clean..

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words. Do any of you know any details about this filter floss? I read that it should be changed 1-2 times per week so I just changed mine and got some really cloudy water in the process. Hope I was supposed to do that during the cycle...

Change it with the water flow off from flowing through it. Pick it up carefully to not knock crap out.

Rock scape looks awesome! Can't wait to see it filled with corals.

Thank you!

I'm stoked as well this is my first attempt at a reef.

I've got probably a month to go before I start adding livestock, I want to get my fish in first, slowly one by one, and in the future upgrade to Steve's LED retrofit kit and do corals.

I'm letting my ol' lady and my kids each pick a fish to go in the tank and I want input on this selection. Compatibility with one another, corals, inverts, and the tank itself

Here's the List so far:

Me: Green Mandarin Dragonet

Wifey: Flame Angel

10 year old son: Dwarf Golden Moray Eel (????)

6 year old son: Sixline Wrasse

3 year old daughter (with Daddy's help): Midnight Clown

So how will that work out? I worry about the Eel, and the size of tank for flame angel.

Thank you!

I'm stoked as well this is my first attempt at a reef.

I've got probably a month to go before I start adding livestock, I want to get my fish in first, slowly one by one, and in the future upgrade to Steve's LED retrofit kit and do corals.

I'm letting my ol' lady and my kids each pick a fish to go in the tank and I want input on this selection. Compatibility with one another, corals, inverts, and the tank itself

Here's the List so far:

Me: Green Mandarin Dragonet

Wifey: Flame Angel

10 year old son: Dwarf Golden Moray Eel (????)

6 year old son: Sixline Wrasse

3 year old daughter (with Daddy's help): Midnight Clown

So how will that work out? I worry about the Eel, and the size of tank for flame angel.

The only fish I recommend from your list for your tank size is the Wrasse and the Clown. The Flame Angel is do-able but you'll have to worry about it developing a taste for your corals that you get in the future.

The mandarin requires an established tank (up and running for years) and a 30 gallon is still too small. The only reason I keep mine in a 30 gallon is because I had him in a 50 Breeder for 8 months eating only pods. He then on his own started eating pellets. This is not normally the case. He will most likely slowly starve in your tank over the course of 3-4 months.

I agree with the above, flame angels are beautiful but sometimes become coral munchers. The mandarin is also a beautiful fish but not easy to keep without an extremely established tank. I know a few members on here are keeping dwarf moray's without issue but i have no idea what their requirements are.

I was planning on buying some copepods and letting them multiply in the fuge with some chaeto for a solid month before adding any fish to my tank. The dragonet would probably be added 3-4 months later. Will that be enough to satisfy the hunger of a mandarin?

How much of a cleanup crew would you guys recommend?

I want to add that in a few weeks and I looked at some of the CUC packages on liveaquaria.com http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=420+2791+1766&pcatid=1766 and that seems like a lot for a 30gal.

Archived