SaltCritters.com

4 gallon inverts

spartan1391

spartan1391

Im looking into getting a 4 gallon IM nuvo and was wondering what I could get in here? I want some corals later but wanted to get inverts first. How much is two much?I was thinking pom pom crab and a shrimp of some kind or a pistol goby pair. I need some ideas as I want to consider all my options. I want to stay with a 4 gallon but might move up to get the 8. Hmmmmm decisions decisions..........

I'm new to this and here so I appreciate all the help!

If you're on the fence just do the 8. It will give you room for the goby-pistol combo and the pom-pom no problem. Can't really wrong with more room anyways.

Islandoftiki

Cleaner shrimp are fun because they will clean your hands.

Goby/Pistol pair could work if you have a good rock for them to build a home under, but that's a fairly high bioload for 5 gallons. You will have to be dedicated to water changes every week with no slacking, and you would want an adequate filter, like an AC70 with a media basket/fuge setup. My goby/pistol shrimp combo in my 10 gallon is so much fun to watch.

Pistol shrimp by themselves are pretty reclusive.

I have a pom pom crab who is really cool when I see him once every week or so, for a couple seconds.

Skip fire shrimp, they hide ALL THE TIME!

I haven't had sexy shrimp, but they're a good option. Maybe a trio.

And get the 8. It's still pretty small, but it gives you a lot more options.

shaneandjohn

I agree, get the IM 8. It is still small, But, Big enough to open up your options a little bit. Shrimp/goby pair for the Bottom of the tank and then maybe a Single Designer Clown for the top! I am not sure if you plan on keeping many corals or not? Peppermint shrimp are cool shrimp,But they will steal food right out of corals. Be aware of that!

I've always heard people often make the mistake of getting too many inverts and when they don't have enough to eat, then they start messing w/ your coral even if they normally wouldn't because they're hungry. Get less and if they're kept busy doing their work, then you don't need more, just like with cucCUC. Agree on the 8. You could live in a 2 bedroom house, but wouldn't you be able to stretch out a little more in a 4 bedroom! Just because you can be "kept" in something, doesn't mean you're comfortable.

spartan1391

sounds like the 8 is the way to go. I was only interseted in inverts because of the small size but if I go up it will be a little easier. Would it be easy to mod the IM 8 rear chambers to have chaeto in the back to help with filtration and keeping nitrogen down? I cant find any mods on the tank yet. I was intersted in the picotope when I read el fabs guide. Im not going to start this tank till may as I wont be home and settled in till then. Im trying to get it all planned out and start purchasing the equipment soon though so I can spread it out

Archived