Top Shelf Aquatics

Razor vs AI Sol Blue power question

flypenfly

If an AI Sol Blue was running at 70% for blue and royal blue and 20% for white what is the 160w Razor equivalent of that tank mounted using the included arms?

The Sol Blue was 4 inches off the water. Depth of the tanks are the same, 20 inches.

I have absolutely no idea o_o Imagine that is a rather difficult question to answer as there are multiple factors involved. Honestly I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer and asking them.

Are you switching over to the razor from the ai? Im starting to looking at light upgrades and it's been down to ai vs maxspect.

Yeah, I am. Love the AI but I would need to run two AI's versus 1 Maxspect for a 48" long system. I won't get full coverage of course but I'm not one to put clams or SPS on the edges of the aquarium either.

Is there manuf produced PAR chart for the 16k 160w razor?

Howard@Maxspect

Answering your questions:

If an AI Sol Blue was running at 70% for blue and royal blue and 20% for white what is the 160w Razor equivalent of that tank mounted using the included arms?

The Sol Blue was 4 inches off the water. Depth of the tanks are the same, 20 inches.

It'll also be around 70% on Channel B (the blue) and 20% on Channel A (the white) because the R420R also uses Cree XP-E blue and XT-E royal blue chips as well as Cree XT-E white chips, I'd expect the color to be approximately the same if the channels were set to the same intensity.

Yeah, I am. Love the AI but I would need to run two AI's versus 1 Maxspect for a 48" long system. I won't get full coverage of course but I'm not one to put clams or SPS on the edges of the aquarium either.

Is there manuf produced PAR chart for the 16k 160w razor?

Please see the attached.

Aren't there three groups of LEDs? I would have though each group would yield three hot spots.

Yes there are 3 groups but they're overlapping each other in terms of coverage, so you won't see 3 hot spots but rather one single large hot spot if you'd call it this way.

Assuming that you had a sol with the stock optics, it has both 70 degree and 40 degree lenses. The Maxspect razor has 90 degree lenses. The Sol is much more efficient and will penetrate deeper with less watts, but the maxspect has fuller, more even light.

My AI Nano was running at about 75% overall = 26 watts
My Razor 20" is running about 50% overall = 60 watts

So, I use 2.3 times more energy with the razor (My power company thanks you maxspect)

So, for the regular AI Sol at 53% overall the equivalent calc would be..

53% of 75 watts = 39 watts
2.30 x 39 watts = 90 watts on the maxspect (or about 56% overall of 160 watts)

Blah. it's late and I think I screwed up the math but about 40% whites and 60% blue seems about right. I'd start lower and ramp up a bit because your corals are going to be shocked by the new full spectrum.

Heheh I don't think you can simply add up the watts like that because in reality it doesn't work like that, the best solution is always to visit a LFS with a demo fixture mounted and check out the different settings.

For my own tank (using Mazarra-P's but it's also about the same), the best color I'd get from it would be setting the white at 70% and blue at 100%, what I usually call a white:blue ratio of 2:3.

post-79278-0-31969300-1363142821_thumb.jpg

Thanks

Is there anything I could do about the bowing of the mounts on a 48" tank besides doing a ceiling mount?

Imagine that is a rather difficult question to answer as there are multiple factors involved. Honestly I'd recommend contacting the manufacturer and asking them.

Told ya :)

Howard@Maxspect

We're going to offer an optional stainless steel rail (sold separately) for users that would want to eliminate the bowing, it should be ready in late April.

Thanks

Is there anything I could do about the bowing of the mounts on a 48" tank besides doing a ceiling mount?

I was planning on ordering one on Apri 1st, the 160w 16000K model.

We're going to offer an optional stainless steel rail (sold separately) for users that would want to eliminate the bowing, it should be ready in late April.

I also have a 48 inch tank and I don't want to deal with having bowed out legs.

Will the current Razors work with that rail, or should I wait to purchase it?

So just to clarify, and or confirm, is the Maxspect essentially the same fixture in terms of color as the AI SOL? At least that's what I got from the previous posts. Same LEDs, maybe different configuration and wattage. ?

eddiecorrea

That layout of LEDs on the Razor still doesn't provide a true full spectrum.

CoralVue Aquarium Products

That layout of LEDs on the Razor still doesn't provide a true full spectrum.

Please let me know what is missing?

The Maxspect Razor Lighting system is designed to provide all ranges of the color spectrum required by corals and plants to enhance their growth rate, improve their coloration and at the same time giving your aquarium the most aesthetically pleasing combination of colors.

Chris

CoralVue

eddiecorrea

Unless I'm missing something I don't see any UVs, reds or greens. You have the actinics but I don't think that covers the UV. Reds and Greens are covered in the actinics but not on a very high level.

Unless I'm missing something I don't see any UVs, reds or greens. You have the actinics but I don't think that covers the UV. Reds and Greens are covered in the actinics but not on a very high level.

The red and green spectrum is covered by the warm white LEDs. If we allotted space for green and red LEDs on the Razor's arrays it would take spots away from the more beneficial PAR producing LEDs.

Chris

CoralVue

eddiecorrea

White is what I meant not the actinics. Any future plans of adding a few UVs in?

White is what I meant not the actinics. Any future plans of adding a few UVs in?

No, it would be a step backwards from our current layout.

Chris

CoralVue

Archived