ReefCleaners.org

What do you place between your stand and tank?

zemuss

Spoiler

I used Wedi Tile Backer setting up a Friends 180 gallon tank. On my 90 gallon after 20 years the Cabinet Stand is shot, because I didn't waterproof it. On my 65 Gallon, the used Stand had some water damage to the plywood, where it would be against the floor. I sanded it down to get rid of where it had delaminated on the plywood. Filled it with wood filler, 50% Shellac, 50% Alcohol, first coat, second coat 75%- 25% third coat 100%. Also I did the top of the Stand at the same time.  BTW., Filling the 180 Gallon was nerve racking, we kept filling, draining and shimming the Stand, to get it level. I used my two meter level. 

• 1 year later...

I went to Home Depot and had them cut me off a piece of flooring laminate.  they had a cheap wood grain that matched my furniture close enough.  It's not water proof, but water resistant and i wipe up spills. 

I could have spent more and found a waterproof material.  I'm guessing kitchen counter top laminate would work too.  My HD didn't have any in stock or I would have gone that route.

• 4 weeks later...

If water getting under is a concern, and I do see it as one, then why not caulk it on the stand?  My tank got nuked in Feb during snowpocalypse.  It gave me no choice but to tear it all down and start from scratch which gave me opportunity to do a few things I wanted to so its not all bad.  It pretty much glued itself to the stand from a couple years of pressure and moisture.  Next time I am doing something about that and caulk seems like a reasonable idea...or a terrible one...cant decide :)