Top Shelf Aquatics

What do you place between your stand and tank?

zemuss

I am wondering what I can put between the tank and the stand so that the wood stand doesn't warp.

Glass / Granite etc.. Which would be best for a 20X20 stand?

I use something similar to this It is by Con-Tact brand and is technically a drawer liner. It is solid though with no little holes. This should be fine if your surface is level and your tank is under 15 gallons. Anything larger, I would probably reccomend a thicker mat. Such as a cheaper yoga mat.

The best thing though, is be careful and avoid spillage.

All the research I found are people using Styrofoam. The Styrofoam will relieve the stress that is cause if the wood is not seated properly on the glass.

So I am looking for other opinions and its greatly appreciated.

If your tank is larger that 15 gallons, I would suggest that or a thicker mat material. Whatever you chose, remember that people have been NOT using mat's for a long time as well. Your main concern should be to have your surface as perfectly level as possible.

My first two fish tanks I used no mats and had no problems. With my new one being rimless, I chose a mat.

I don't think there are really anymore options that what you researched and I presented, but if your tank is larger/heavier I would probably say the peice of styrofoam would be the wisest choice :)

• Like 1

Ok so if I use Styrofoam, do I just cut the piece to fit the tank or should there be some over lap? Meaning tank is 20 X 20, should the foam be 20X20 or 21 X 21?

Thanks,

I never heard of putting anything between a tank and a stand. What's to stop water from getting under whatever is on top of the stand? I would just waterproof the top of the stand.

I never heard of putting anything between a tank and a stand. What's to stop water from getting under whatever is on top of the stand? I would just waterproof the top of the stand.

Its mainly for rimless tanks where the entire bottom pane of the tank sits on the stand. The pad helps reduce shock, keeps water from seeping under the tank, and relieves some minor pressure points that could be present from a not entirely flat/smooth stand surface. I bought the drawer liner stuff for my tank, some people use the big styrafoam sheets from Home Depot. For standard rimmed tanks you dont need a liner as the rim sits on the stand not the bottom pane.

Don't recommend using styrofoam on RC lol. They'll be hunting you down and stringing you to a tree and beating you with tree branches. I still think thick styrofoam is the way to go.

thegambler26

I used a clear plastic drawer liner cut to fit and spray glued to the top of my stand. It looks clean and keeps the water from getting on the wood. Also makes for easy clean up.

Styrofoam or rubber is not going to support a 300 pound tank. Anything that has "give" will simply form to an uneven surface. Soft mats are not strong or hard enough to support a tank. You're just filling in uneven dips with a soft material.

This is an exaggerated example: If you have a large dip in a floor and fill it with styrofoam or rubber, then cover it with wood flooring, it will still sag if you step on it. You would need to fill it with something solid and hard.

The only thing that will prevent a tank from warping would be a solid, flat surface - which all tank manufacturers recommend.

I would use a piece of granite.

• Like 1

the only thing the Styrofoam will do is give some cushion under the tank and take away some of the stress put on the bottom glass. that is if the tank doesn't have a plastic trim ring around the bottom and the tank sits directly on its bottom glass.. it will not make up for any bows or out of level. the stand needs to be level and flat for a tank no matter whats going under it.

under my 240g the tank manufacture recommended the pink Styrofoam under it from the big box stores. my tank had no bottom trim and sat directly on it bottom glass.

the only thing the Styrofoam will do is give some cushion under the tank and take away some of the stress put on the bottom glass. that is if the tank doesn't have a plastic trim ring around the bottom and the tank sits directly on its bottom glass.. it will not make up for any bows or out of level. the stand needs to be level and flat for a tank no matter whats going under it.

under my 240g the tank manufacture recommended the pink Styrofoam under it from the big box stores. my tank had no bottom trim and sat directly on it bottom glass.

How thick is the pink styrofoam?

b] Your main concern should be to have your surface as perfectly level as possible[/b].

This, as others have also mentioned... Styrofoam or whatever isn't going to support the glass.

As far as other materials go, It really depends. Are you planning to use something other than wood for the top of your stand or are you just using another material to try and even out the top of your stand?

Granite would make an excellent flat surface - but it's expensive and would need to be properly supported underneath otherwise it could crack (for example in counter top applications the cabinets need to be very level and the granite shouldn't technically go more than 12" unsupported). Same with glass - it should be well supported underneath by structural members. I'm not sure I would put a tank on a stand with an acrylic top... I would definitely use a piece of plywood under the acrylic and also make sure that's flat because acrylic is flexible enough that it will just conform to whatever it's put on.

I can't comment on the strength of corian, but from what I recall you need a plywood backer - so I would treat it the same as acrylic.

Ultimately I think a good flat piece of plywood - properly supported underneath - will be as good an option as any and a lot cheaper too.

One technique I've used in the past is to actually double up on the top of the stand. First use a piece of plywood (can be less than finish grade) on the top of the stand, then lay down some thin-set, like you would use for laying tiles - lay it thin and with a notched trowel. Quickly before the thin-set sets up lay down another piece of plywood or whatever your top piece is going to be (granite, glass, etc...) and then put the tank down on it but don't fill it or anything, just use some weight inside like maybe a 5g bucket of water. This will allow the tank bottom to spread the thin-set mortar and it should fill in some of the low spots. Thin-set is cement based so once it cures you can put a lot of weight on it. If you use plywood you can just router the edges with a flush-trim bit. If you use another material you'll have to be slightly more careful when placing it on the thin-set. Anyways, just an idea.

If you're only wanting something to seal the base of the tank from water seepage then I think a really small bead of silicone would do the trick, you could easily remove it with a razor blad or something later on.

• Like 1

I am wondering what I can put between the tank and the stand so that the wood stand doesn't warp.

I should have asked this earlier - what does your stand look like and what is it made of? If it's made for your tank to go on top, then I wouldn't worry about putting anything in between.

The stand is made for the Solana 34 which came with the tank when I bought it. Over the last year I have noticed that the wood is pealing. So I am in the process of planning a new stand build and moving the tank to the new stand.

The questions I have are based on the new design which will be skinned with for-mica.

I thought a top finish would look better, but with for-mica i shouldn't need it correct?

Are we talking 20"x20" or 20'x20'? lol Sounds silly but serious question.

Your wood stand should NOT warp if build properly, especially if it is built properly. Are we talking solid wood here?

My Aquapod sits on a solid wood end table. I spill saltwater on it all the time because I put my hands in often spot feeding. No issues here at all!

My new Pico I put on a 1/8" yoga mat. That's right, 1/8". The solid wood stand is perfectly flat but I wanted the mat to protect the bottom and sides of the rimless tank as well as absorb some vibrations from my kids running in the house. I didn't want a thick mat that would compress but I was torn between getting 1/8" or 1/4". I cut it 1/4" larger than the bottom of the tank so essentially it sticks out 1/8" on all sides which I find attractive but I think that is a matter of personal opinion. I considered cutting the mat to fit the entire top of the stand but I wanted to see the wood grain. If I change my mind prior to the final fill I have plenty of mat left to cut or experiment with.

I should have asked this earlier - what does your stand look like and what is it made of? If it's made for your tank to go on top, then I wouldn't worry about putting anything in between.

Hahaha, I think I got away from the original question as well... For whatever reason I had it in my mind that the OP is building a stand and wants to use granite or some other material as the top - instead of plywood or whatever.

The stand is made for the Solana 34 which came with the tank when I bought it. Over the last year I have noticed that the wood is pealing. So I am in the process of planning a new stand build and moving the tank to the new stand.

The questions I have are based on the new design which will be skinned with for-mica.

I thought a top finish would look better, but with for-mica i shouldn't need it correct?

If your dealing with a composite, laminate, or particle board stand they I would be extremely worried about getting it wet.

Formica (laminate), if done properly, should be very water resistant as I understand it... I had counter tops made with the stuff for quite a few years and there was pretty much always something wet on it... The seams need to be really tight though and fit together perfectly. A special router is used to trim the corners.

by wood peeling, do you mean the laminate is coming off? This is usually due to particle board swelling. When you make your new stand make it out of solid wood or plywood and this shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not even sure why anyone makes aquarium stands out of particle board... A bookshelf - fine, but anything that could get wet is asking for trouble IMO.

These are pics of my Elos Midi stand. The tank (still in box) sits on the left and right sides of the stand only. The bottom is lower than the sides, the back is cut out for wiring and plumbing, and the front panel is the door.

The laminate sounds and feels like some sort of plastic. They say it's more water resistant than the original stand. It has a clicking sound if you knock on it. I don't know what's under the laminate.

I find it interesting that the tank just sits on the two sides. The tank is approximately 20" x 20" X 20", give or take an inch or so.

Are we talking 20"x20" or 20'x20'? lol Sounds silly but serious question.

Your wood stand should NOT warp if build properly, especially if it is built properly. Are we talking solid wood here?

My Aquapod sits on a solid wood end table. I spill saltwater on it all the time because I put my hands in often spot feeding. No issues here at all!

My new Pico I put on a 1/8" yoga mat. That's right, 1/8". The solid wood stand is perfectly flat but I wanted the mat to protect the bottom and sides of the rimless tank as well as absorb some vibrations from my kids running in the house. I didn't want a thick mat that would compress but I was torn between getting 1/8" or 1/4". I cut it 1/4" larger than the bottom of the tank so essentially it sticks out 1/8" on all sides which I find attractive but I think that is a matter of personal opinion. I considered cutting the mat to fit the entire top of the stand but I wanted to see the wood grain. If I change my mind prior to the final fill I have plenty of mat left to cut or experiment with.

The tank is 20" X 20".

Hahaha, I think I got away from the original question as well... For whatever reason I had it in my mind that the OP is building a stand and wants to use granite or some other material as the top - instead of plywood or whatever.

I am building a new stand soon, so the question is really about what people use underneath their tank if anything. I think I will go with a simple 1/8" mat, if I can find it and place the tank directly on the laminate when done.

Thanks for the help guys.

"Z"

I use a product that is a drawer liner with a little bit of give. Someone mentioned/posted a link in this thread to one that is almost exactly like what i use. Mine is weaved and adds a little cushioning. This was under a 24g nanocube. I don't use anything under my 55 but it is plexi so I don't worry about the glass. Your point about not damaging the stand is a good thought i should have had. Maybe a yogamat would be good. Of course that's gonna provide a place for water to possibly gather.

• 6 years later...

I think the point is being missed here... Maybe not but in my experience, the mat isnt to create a level surface by supporting the tank or to solely support the tank off of a stand. Its general purpose is to protect the glass. Example being, if there was a small grain of sand or something irregular protruding up from the surface of the stand and therefore causing a pressure point on the glass (rimless tanks where the the glass pane is coming into contact with the surface of the stand), when the tank is filled with water it will cause the glass to crack from that pressure point. The mat is there to absorb the irregularity and create a uniform surface area for the tank to rest, alleviating singular pressure points from the glass. Leveling your surface prior is key and the mat will help in regards to that but only small deviations. The mat will absorb the small protrusions that can shatter or crack the glass, causing a catastrophic event for all the inhabitants. Just my 2 cents! Thanks!

• Like 1