Pod Your Reef

The V1000

jestep

Yeah, it would have a decent footprint in the 2g. Is your sand being blasted by the 606? I though it was too much flow in the 5 without the deflector.

No, the little nozzle is adjustable so I can get turbulent from pretty much everywhere (I hope!). I also used dry crushed coral as a substrate to minimize sand storms in such as small footprint.

It seemed like a decent way to maintain high flow so I can keep some of the hardier SPS corals in my pico.

Going to pick up my media basket now!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the little nozzle is adjustable so I can get turbulent from pretty much everywhere (I hope!). I also used dry crushed coral as a substrate to minimize sand storms in such as small footprint.

It seemed like a decent way to maintain high flow so I can keep some of the hardier SPS corals in my pico.

Going to pick up my media basket now!

Gotcha.

Side note, just noticed your town in your profile. Originally from Crested Butte, CO and raced a bunch so I am pretty good at noticing ski towns. Hopefully you guys have a good winter. I've been wanting to make it out there at some point.

Gotcha.

Side note, just noticed your town in your profile. Originally from Crested Butte, CO and raced a bunch so I am pretty good at noticing ski towns. Hopefully you guys have a good winter. I've been wanting to make it out there at some point.

From this morning...opening day at Diamond Peak here in town.

DP121213003.jpg

• 1 month later...

Crazy, just found this flatworm on the glass. One of the larger ones I've found in a tank. Large enough I saw him from across the room. No fish. No feeding. No additions for months. Amazing what shows up in a tank.

flat-worm.jpg

Damn, just found about 10 more on the glass only. How do you get red flatworms going 6+ months since the last time anything was added to the tank...?

I love the look of the tank! What macro's are those exactly?

Thanks. Most of it is gracilaria hayi. There is a little bit of dragon's breath (halymenia), but it doesn't have a lot of structure so mostly lies flat on the bottom.

Well flatworms exploded into the hundreds or thousands possibly. Added a springer's damsel last night, and 99% are gone this morning. Found 2 or 3 after looking for about 5 minutes. These guys are hardy, peaceful, cheap, look great, and serve a purpose. Love this fish.

• 2 weeks later...

A few picture updates:

The flatworm annihilator!

IMG_0681_1024.jpg

Disco time, Red Discosoma sanctithomae mushroom... Had to remove this guy from my main tank because he kept getting blown into a 10" hammer coral. He's about 1/3 the size of a few months ago but is looking pretty good. Was more like a shriveled a ball of goo for a few days.

IMG_0688_1024.jpg

Interesting red maco that came on one of the original rics that I've added. Very slow growing across the top of the rock. Hoping I don't some day regret letting it survive. Would love for an identification if anyone has one.

IMG_0696_1024.jpg

• 1 month later...

Just pulled the trigger on one of these from http://www.cncreef.com/ as well as about 8 additional LED's and a second driver so I can control blue and white spectrums independently.

asis4x12.jpg

Total LED layout is going to be 4 royal blue, 2 normal blue, 3 cool white, 2 neutral white, 2 warm white, 1 red, and 2 UV.

Most likely going to have to run this at sub 30% but should be a very good spread and mostly customize-able colors. On the bright side running these at this level should give me about 50 years of usable life out of the LED's and I can probably light my 90 gallon with this single fixture if I get bored of the spec.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the damsel is out. With my virtually non existent water change schedule, it was overloading the tank with just a few feedings per week. Having to do some more changes and run some GFO to get the nutrient levels back down. He's happy in the 90 now. Was really amazed that he and the other springer in there don't bother each other a bit. Nothing like the pecking behavior I see with chromis and most other damsels. I'm sure there's exceptions but these guys are much less aggressive than the chromis I used to keep.

Also, had my heater fail on about a week and a half ago. I sized it so it couldn't cook the tank, but it still got up to about 84 for a few days and then temp was all over the place while I was trying to figure out how to keep the tank warm. Zoas are still not happy about it, but the rics are looking good again. May have lost a chalice that I moved from the 90.

Fixture is still in the mail. Chris from CNC said they got some bad product and it needed to be redone so another week or two until I get that in. Will do a full photo build of that project. If I ever take this tank down, the LED layout and number should be good enough for a 20 or 30 gallon pretty easily.

• 1 month later...

Got all my fixture parts in finally. Just put a contract on a house and have been planning and packing like crazy so probably will be after the move before I get any major updates done. Have been so busy the tanks are a bit neglected.

• 5 months later...

Jestep how are you liking this CNC Reef LED light? The led's I have over my sons SpecV are just about done for so I need to get them replaced.

Dat update plz.

Unfortunately it's currently disassembled. Rock, coral, and algae is in the sump of my 90. We just moved into a new house and couldn't find an appropriate place for it. We had a great bar/counter at our old one that was perfect for it, but it just wasn't wasn't working on a kitchen counter. On the bright side, I can set it back up in about 15 minutes when I figure out a new plan for it.

I thought about bringing it to my office, but we don't even have a sink so water changes would be really tedious.

Not dead yet, just on hold for now.

Jestep how are you liking this CNC Reef LED light? The led's I have over my sons SpecV are just about done for so I need to get them replaced.

Super nice fixture.

This has nothing to do with the fixture itself. but it's a bit difficult to mount over the spec, just because you can't bend the mounting arm in a short enough radius that it can be mounted on the tank itself. As long as you have a wall or can figure out something else to mount the arm on and have the tank a few inches from it, or the fixture directly, it's really versatile.

It's also super overkill for this size tank. I think full loaded with 3w LED's, this could easily be used on a 20 - 30 gallon SPS tank if not using lenses.

Too much light then really. All he has is mushrooms and a candy cane. I will just throw a new wavepoint on I guess. Thanks

Since it's a DIY, you could just put 4 or 5 LED's on it and it would be fine. I went a little overboard with 2 channels, blue and white, and I think I could deep fry coral in a 5 gallon tank with that.

We're just down the road, still in Austin. Bought a house in July, so finally no more rentals.

Congrats! Which side of town were you on again?

Archived