Innovative Marine Aquariums

Zia's *INSANE AIO* Contest

Zia

Poll Closed. AIO WINNER is eddiecorrea  

217 members have voted

1. 1. Who has the best concept? Based on there idea and ability to build out this AIO, who deserves it?

• uwwmatt (Team Rally Monkey aka Darkhorse)
    • 6gallon nano reef 101
    • JamesHL88
    • eddiecorrea (Team Lawnman)
    • Evanski9
    • Clownin_around29
    • jbb_00 (Team metroKat)

Even on 10% it would probably be causing perma vortexes and if you put a shield it'll be so bulky inside a small tank.

Hidden MJ with locline would be better.

Yea that's what i had on it. A split return loc line. One pointing left and one pointing right.

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply
eddiecorrea

MP10s for this tank, maybe not. Its way to shallow. At only 5''high and really 4 1/4 waterline it would have to sit all the way at the bottom and would be sucking in the surface water like crazy.

I'll throw one of mine in the AIO tomorrow and snap a pic for illustration purposes.

NO WAY. You noobs don't know how it is done. I could easily run an MP10 in this sucker no problem.

If you wanna sell a tank outright PM me. I want one bad now. haha

qualitycontrol

I am going to try an MP10 on this tank with a shield. I don't think it will be too bulky, remember this thing is 30" long. Putting an MP10 with shield on the opposite side of the overflow will give great results for water movement.

I ended up with the brand new tank, and am going to set this up in my Son's room as a frag tank. He should enjoy it. Maintenance done real easy as well because of its size.

Yea another fellow reefer just PM/schooled me this info. I'm ordering two tomorrow for my display MP10s! Made by Pico Aquariums.

6_zps4596ae47.jpg

7_zps891a673b.jpg

Yeah like Eddie says, if you end up selling lmk. I'd buy outright as well.

Nope, giving it away 100%

couple of small islands

assorted zoas / palys , acans , duncans , few small photo gorgs, red coco worm, asst. macro

rock nem with porcelin crab or nem shrimp (maybe both)

Nice open brain , or plate for the sand

reef cleaners CUC

flaming prawn goby (if available)

yasha goby if above falls through

Lighting : Nano-Box Duo (on hand)

DIY media rack for chamber 1

RKL - SL1 , ALC , PC4, ATO (aqualifter)

25w heater on RKL

FLOW :

option 1 . Maxi-Jet / locline idea

option 2. drill 3rd chamber and run external pump on SCWD for closed loop "wave maker"

Clownin_around29

Is this still going?

This is what I would do with this tank...

Equipment:

AI nano LED light suspended from the ceiling

25 watt heater in the first chamber

Chemi-pure elite in the second chamber

Maxi jet 400 for return in third chamber

I would also cut a piece of acrylic and paint it black to sit on top of the filtration to hide the equipment. ( I have all this equipment on hand from a previous tank shutdown)

Livestock:

Soft corals and some monti caps

Ric garden

Zoa garden

Just recently bought a house( I'm only 22)and have to re finish the basement. Looking for a show piece tank and this would definately be it.

Is this still going?

This is what I would do with this tank...

Equipment:

AI nano LED light suspended from the ceiling

25 watt heater in the first chamber

Chemi-pure elite in the second chamber

Maxi jet 400 for return in third chamber

I would also cut a piece of acrylic and paint it black to sit on top of the filtration to hide the equipment. ( I have all this equipment on hand from a previous tank shutdown)

Livestock:

Soft corals and some monti caps

Ric garden

Zoa garden

Just recently bought a house( I'm only 22)and have to re finish the basement. Looking for a show piece tank and this would definately be it.

Yes it is. Thanks for entering and congratulations on your new home.

Ready to end this beast! Lets get some finalist!!!! :P

8_zps761cb94e.jpg

If we speed it up, than that means i have to clean the AIO asap. Kinda laggin in that department. Guess i know what i'm doing tomorrow. Also pay close attention to picture #1 in OP and notice i already took the liberty of painting the back of the AIO black.

Ok real talk heres my entry.

If I get this tank it will be an axolotle tank! Check out the link bellow if u r unfimilliar.

http://www.axolotl.org/

I would keep the tank barebottom with most likly a sideways flower pot cave and potted java ferns. A floor lamp with a par30 or par38 from lowes would provide ambient shimmer. Filtration would be a maxi jet return with floss and carbon in the back chamber. I want a little monster tank and this would be the perfect tank for an axolotle. I would maintain a tio of minnows or feeder fish as an in tank source of live food. I would document the entire build and life of the tank here on nano reef as well as a thread on caudata.org so I could $#!+ all over their standard ten gallon builds. You know ... show em how us reefers do things. I know its not a reef tank but im planning on doing an axolotle tank anyways and this little shallow tank would be steller as an aquatic salamander playground.

Also if I win u can ship the tank dirty and ill clean it myself ;)

I would run an MP10 on it. The tank would be controlled by an Apex JR with PH and Temp probes. Also a VDM to control the AI Nano light I would use over this. It would be bare bottom completely covered in zoas and rics. Strictly a softy garden with no space other than softies. I have the heater and pumps. I also have an AI Nano I could run over it now. MP10s are easy to get haha.

Wow, that would seriously be overkill.

Have you considered the AI Nano not having enough spread for 30"? You would have to hang it high enough but then the light would bleed way past as the tank is so narrow. It's like lighting a 55g tank with one pendant. I think here you need more then 2 clusters of the Nano. Or drop a 300w MH on top of it. ;) Then the entire water volume would evaporate in a day! lol

I'm surprised your not going put an ATO on it. Even better, drill it and get a sump. Don't forget the chiller!

Seriously, very nice of the OP giving this away and shipping it for free. Hopefully it goes to someone with a little imagination opposed to something just going to toss a bunch of hardware on it and a few frags inside.

I could even run carbon in the overflow and plant terestrial plants in the return section. A small scale version of ornamental pond filtration. I would name the project "MY MEXICAN PICO POND"

Edit:

Im loving this idea more and more. The 5000k par38 led would be pointed at the plants to grow them and the tank would catch indirect shimmer. The display would be pleasing to the eye and the axolotle wouldnt be bothered by too much light.

Polarcollision

I'd add a micro chiller, the original LED lights off my IM Nuvo 8 and turn this into a Pacific Northwest temperate tide pool. Strawberry anemones, orange cup coral, white plumose anemones, and a lumpsucker fish.

I'd add a micro chiller, the original LED lights off my IM Nuvo 8 and turn this into a Pacific Northwest temperate tide pool. Strawberry anemones, orange cup coral, white plumose anemones, and a lumpsucker fish.

That's pretty outside the box. Reminds me of the touchtanks at the Long Beach Aquarium.

4_zps71cc9bcc.jpg

Ok real talk heres my entry.

If I get this tank it will be an axolotle tank! Check out the link bellow if u r unfimilliar.

http://www.axolotl.org/

I would keep the tank barebottom with most likly a sideways flower pot cave and potted java ferns. A floor lamp with a par30 or par38 from lowes would provide ambient shimmer. Filtration would be a maxi jet return with floss and carbon in the back chamber. I want a little monster tank and this would be the perfect tank for an axolotle. I would maintain a tio of minnows or feeder fish as an in tank source of live food. I would document the entire build and life of the tank here on nano reef as well as a thread on caudata.org so I could $#!+ all over their standard ten gallon builds. You know ... show em how us reefers do things. I know its not a reef tank but im planning on doing an axolotle tank anyways and this little shallow tank would be steller as an aquatic salamander playground.

Also if I win u can ship the tank dirty and ill clean it myself ;)

I don't know what to make of these odd little mythical, looking creatures. Arent they serious little poop machines? Lot of waste in such a small tank? What are we even talking about.... Freshwater, huh :P

8_zps352fc138.jpg

They are poop machines but water quality isnt as big of an issue as a reef tank. Basicly it should get the same treatment as a nano reef. Conditioned tap water is all thats required. Weekly 20% water changes are usually enough. Its a lower light invironment as well so algae isnt an issue. Axolotles have been grown to adulthood by scientist in nothing more than a bowl. Thats not my intentions though. I want a tiny pond on my nightstand with plants in and out of it with a little monster in there that I can feed wormies ♡♥♡

I could upload feeding vids and such

I will put in my entry, however I don't have time/money for another tank, but that won't stop me from dreaming.

Lighting:

Custom DIY LED, 120 degree optics, 3 clusters, on an 18" Maker's heatsink, anodized black, with each cluster being 2x 3ups, 1x OCW, 1x 430 TV, 1x 405 TV.

Scape would be ~1/8" of flat stone bottom, custom cut (similar to a bare bottom, but stone, you'll see why later). From that there would be two islands, 1 larger, 1 smaller (following rule of thirds of course). The larger would be kidney shaped and placed on the left side of the tank, only 1.5" tall The smaller would be more circular and taller, at least 3.5" tall (~1" from water line).

Equipment would be an MP10 w/ a shallow shield from pico, I'd plumb it into my Apex (full) and add another Probe module and an energy bar. Also add a dosing and ATO of course.

For live stock, I'd cover the rock bottom completely in zoas. Small zoas so the scale would look right, preferably no polyps larger than 3/8". As much variety as possible. On the left, larger kidney island, I'd cover it with small headed, LPS. The really fine maze brains, acan lords, and favia, all specimens that have very little depth (no back skeleton) . The right rock I'd cover with really fine branched SPS like birds of paradise and such.

I'd fill it with a pair of Sexy shrimp, a mate pair of green clown gobies, and an anemone crab.

Archived