SaltCritters.com

prolly a duh question

dickie52

would this light be any good over any saltwater tank? like even a few softies?

48 LED 3W Aquarium 2 Mode Clip Flexible Lamp White & Blue Light 85-265V

HK372-4h.jpg

LarryMoeCurly

What size tank are you thinking? It likely isn't well built for that price, but the specs seem reasonable to me. Hopefully someone with some expertise will wander in.

I have tanks from 1/2 gallon up to a 110 gallon. I saw this on ebay and had to have it. I was just wondering if it would be enough light for any saltwater life? shrooms, zoos, etc.

You could make that yourself out of a 24v power supply, some plastic with holes in it, and some 5mm leds. Waste of money IMO.

3w is only good for 1-2g.

Brooklynkidd718

You can keep softies with that light depending on tank size and how deep it is, how ever will they thrive/grow is the question. I am currently using a "marine land" double bright LED. They are only 1w Led. I've been running this light for almost one year on my innovative marine 38gallon nuvo. I plan on getting a radion in a few months after I finish my experience with this led. long story short its possible to keep softies with 3w led's.

The point is, the led is TOTAL 3w. Not 3w each (which would overheat anyway in that thing).

I'm also doubtful on running a marineland double bright over a 38g tank and growing corals. Pics please.

thank you for the input

I will pack it as a travel light for my 2 gallon collection tank

it will only be used for me to see the stuff

I have tanks from 1/2 gallon up to a 110 gallon. I saw this on ebay and had to have it. I was just wondering if it would be enough light for any saltwater life? shrooms, zoos, etc.

wait, so it's 3 watts? Then if I use it over my 1/2 gallon, that would give me 6watts per gallon. I think that would be able to support softies!

That over a 1/2g will support anything you will want in there (I.E. not clams or SPS).

EDIT: Looks like it uses 10k leds. Color rendition will be very bad IMO. You could still use it.

Looks like it uses 10k leds.

I have always loved the 10K

everyone with the blue look, kills me. just go buy a pair of blue glasses

I like the 10k color too. I saying that 10k white leds won't look as good as 7k whites with a few extra royal blues.

when I say new breed, I am referring to the newer keepers of nano reef tanks, they all seem to be using way more blue light, then in the tanks of past years. I am wondering if this is better for the coral or is it they think it looks better?

Higher K value looks are better for color but worse for growth. So people use 14k to get a blueish look that makes their corals corlorful but still lets them grow.

Ok

Then if I am going to use it for a collecting tank and don't need or want any growth and love the look of 10K, then I have made a great choice?

If you like how 10k looks, go for it. But keep in mind your corals will veer towards the browner end of the spectrum of color.

I personally love 10k, but I hate the colors on my corals. I'm hoping by going led (again) I might be able to incorporate 420nm violets and have a 10k look with good color.

thanks for the input, here is my 6.6 gallon bookshelf tank, with 10k compact florescent on it. I just like my colors to look normal. call me old school. LOL

gallery_3683_3_1356252521_51441.jpg

Archived