Coral Vue Hydros

mp10: reliability, durability, value?

LarryMoeCurly

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I agree. The outside is ugly. I plan on putting it on the back wall when I get a cube shaped tank to hide it.

This is the only answer for those of us with tanks that are meant to be viewed from 3 sides.

Just gonna leave this here......

Cool video, I do love Tunze products. Can't really say this video was from an unbiased party though.

Cool video, I do love Tunze products. Can't really say this video was from an unbiased party though.

Not to mention this video was produced as a response to an independent study last year that showed that the Tunze output was greatly understated. This was essentially their response to how they achieved their measurements.

Tunze's are great pumps as well, but comparing the 2 like this is completely unfair, simply based on the nozzle design of the 2 pumps. The vortech is obviously going to have a wide flow pattern and thus less velocity when measured at a cooresponding location on the pump output. That doesn't mean that the overall flow volume is lower or higher for either model, it's that the flow pattern is different. If someone wants to argue the flow pattern on the Tunze is better, than that's way out of my league to be arguing on any scientifically measured effect. But, people have great results with both setups, so as I pretty much always suggest, chose whichever one works for you.

You can get tanks with dry compartments in the overflows that are designed to house the dry side so you don't have anything "outside" the tank.

joel sandoman

You can get tanks with dry compartments in the overflows that are designed to house the dry side so you don't have anything "outside" the tank.

true, but then you have even less control over the flow direction since you would have to put it there.

true, but then you have even less control over the flow direction since you would have to put it there.

Major benefit of the Vortechs is they have a VERY wide angle flow pattern compared to a standard power head.

Major benefit of the Vortechs is they have a VERY wide angle flow pattern compared to a standard power head.

This is why it's good to have the Tunze and the Vortech's. If I had a long tank then I could see putting together some cross streams on a semi-reef crest mode and call it good. Since I have a 65 gallon the Vortech fits my needs a lot better. Only downside to the tunze is the pricing for me.

slickwill613

I like my mo10 a lot. The eye opener for me was when I first got it, I usually basted my rocks every other day and always had crud flying around afterwards. When I got my mp10, used eBay wes for 200 shipped, I put it in nutrient transport and the crap that was getting blown around my tank made me embarrassed. I thought I was keeping it clean! Now when I baste my rocks very little crap, so I just keep it in short pulse mode. I've been very happy with it. Even used I'm not having any noise/bearing issues, yet. I can hear it hum, but if the tv is on I never hear it. It's on a BC14 by the way. I feel like it was worth every penny, but like I said I got it used. Knowing how happy I am with it, I would pay full price for a new one if/when I get another. I'm planning an upgrade for later this year and it will include more of vortech's power heads.

I was always kind of hesitant to get one, but I'm glad I did. I think a very large majority of those that have or have had one agree they are the best. It's not required to have a nice reef, but I don't think it's a purchase many regret.

LarryMoeCurly

K. Stop thinking . Just buy it guys... it worth the money... trust me

I appreciate your well-reasoned, thoughtful, and logical argument. :mellow:

I recently got my koralias positioned so that they are creating good flow all over. If I switched to the mp10 it would have to go on the side of the tank facing the frogspawn, soft tree, trumpet, etc. I feel like it would blow them to pieces, especially the frogspawn. I guess I could move some things around. I'm thinking about fragging some stuff this summer though, it's just getting too big; perhaps that will present on opportunity to reposition to accommodate an mp10.

I almost went for the one on here for $185 last night, but it's almost two years old. I would prefer a new one.

Go for the new one..less worry.. about ya coral.. just move them around. Come up with new aquascape put mp10. In... whole new experience... u won't regret it

dvsclownfish1

On my 7ft 240 I run the tunzes on the ends and my mp40 on my back wall between my overflows which works perfectly. I really don't think mp40's on the ends would work as well. That and my 60 gallon sits less than 2" away on the one side so it won't work on that side at all. Each one has it's uses and it's downsides.

I have also a 20 gal long, and also veered more towards sps lately. Gotta say I don't buy to the hype of any equipment. I run t5s because I do personally think LEDs are way overrated and don't keep up with the hype. In this hobby, no equipment is safe to work for many years. Lights, pumps, it all can stop working one day for an unknown reason. Especially if it is something that runs underwater. You have however warranty, upon buying, can register it online, and if you use the rubber rings they supply, you should be fine. Granted, I only have it now for a few months, but I can say my pump is silent and the water flow to the whole tank is much better than the koralias, which I had before. The impeller of the mp's are much bigger and the flow is broader also. Trust me, it's worth the investment. It will make the flow in your tank step up to another level.

Here is a pic of my tank, the sps are doing really well, and as you know flow is vital to those corals.

image_zpse2140125.jpg

LarryMoeCurly

Wow, that tank is amazing, it's so colorful. I would definitley have T5s if the bulbs didn't have to be replaced every year or so.

I have a very noobish off-topic question. I got a small blue acro frag yesterday, I basically told the LFS guy to pick me out a good beginner SPS as sort of a "test run" to see how it would do in my tank. My question is do acros normally show polyp extension? I haven't seen any polyps at all so far. I have read that they sometimes show at night. I think it has good flow and it's about half way up the tank so it should have sufficient light for now I think. I didn't think this issue warranted its own thread, I figured I would sneak it in here. I am hoping that it is just stressed from the move, and not dead/dying.

My mp10 does not bother my frogspawn or hammer on the other end. I think the wide flow is key. I'm running in nutrient transport mode in my 40. Short pulse for 15 minutes or so followed by near steady stream to blow stuff around. I tuned my short pulse to make a nice wave so everything rocks back and forth.

No worries! This is your topic, talk about whatever you wish! I have also blue acros, added some more pieces from when this pic was taken. The blue ones are a bit tougher to keep, as they could discolor if something is not right. When blue sps stay blue in a tank, all parameters are the way it should be. When I started with sps, I tried tough pieces to make sure my tank was ready. Acros are a good starter piece, but I would start with pieces like green slimmers, montis...the good rule of thumb is that when coralline starts growing, it is sps ready. Now back to your question, polyp extension is a sign the coral is adapted to the environment. Some sps can take longer to extend them, but eventually you will start seing them. The fact that you got the frag yesterday means it might be too early for it to show. At night the could come out, but if the coral is not yet " feeling at home" you won't be seeing it at night either. Best thing to do is to leave it alone and observe...make sure temp is stable and Ca+ /alk are correct, and ph is ok...as you stated, light is ok so now is just a matter of time.

LarryMoeCurly

Thanks a lot for your help. I trusted the LFS a little too much I guess. I knew which were easier to keep in general, but I didn't know which variety (color, etc.) to go for. I'll leave it for a while and see what happens. Also, I have plenty of coraline, so that is good.

It was already faded/very light blue when I bought it, BTW.

It will be fine then. I've had some sps pieces that opened within hours after placed in my tank, and others that took days....it's all about the species. Good luck and keep us posted on how things go...

LarryMoeCurly

I almost got a birdnest, but the frag he had was bigger than what I wanted. Figures I would still pick the wrong thing, even with researching prior (not nearly enough research evidently). Oh well, I'll see what happens.

^^^^ nice tank^^^ Led's would make those corals pop even more:)

Lol, I've ran another reef with LEDs( Sols) before, and although got good growth, color was not up to my taste. Since my tank is shallow 12", t5s give me the perfect par for all corals. Trust me however I've seen some really nice led reef tanks...

Archived