inTank Media Baskets

mp10: reliability, durability, value?

LarryMoeCurly

LarryMoeCurly

I wish they made a more expensive smaller model with better bearings.

I wish they made a less expensive model with better everything. For $235 it should be very near flawless IMO.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think about all the features it has, it's a wonder it's only $235. There just aren't other competitors on the market who can compete on that size, power, and features.

I calculated how much it would cost to DIY a simple Vortech, with just a simple interface. It costs a lot. I bet Ecotech had to design every circuit in there with base parts and maybe a few ICs to get it right and yet they still sell them for only $240.

Absolutely not. There is nothing wrong with having nice things.

The cost vs. benefit is not justified though when compared to alternatives that are a fraction of the price. That is the point.

People should not decide to buy an mp10 based on thinking it will be superior in the end result in terms of maintaining a successul reef tank.

The cost vs benefit is the exact reason people buy the vortechs. There really is no alternative to vortechs, unless you consider putting pumps on a wavemaker. Even then your stuck with a big ugly pump in your tank, that you can't sync to multiple powerheads to run at various modes.

This hobby is not based off the happiness of fish and corals. Hobbies are all about personal enjoyment. Equipments like the vortech is what keeps this hobby interesting and innovative.

disaster999

The cost vs benefit is the exact reason people buy the vortechs. There really is no alternative to vortechs, unless you consider putting pumps on a wavemaker. Even then your stuck with a big ugly pump in your tank, that you can't sync to multiple powerheads to run at various modes.

This hobby is not based off the happiness of fish and corals. Hobbies are all about personal enjoyment. Equipments like the vortech is what keeps this hobby interesting and innovative.

ecotech is not the only company that does this.

if you buy equipment to keep yourself happy and not for the fish and corals then please do us and your fish and corals a favor and just quit already

if you buy equipment to keep yourself happy and not for the fish and corals then please do us and your fish and corals a favor and just quit already

You must be retarded.

I feel bad for whoever your representing with "us". But I don't feel bad for you, because your retarded.

That is probably acurate, however I think there is some bias here. Of course those that buy them are going to say they love it. They just spent >$200 on it, they need to/already have convinced themselves that it was a worthwhile and reasonable purchase.

Although, many people in this thread have tried to give an objective evaluation of the mp10, and I appreciate that.

Like I said before I have bought all 4 different sizes and I personaly think I spent money in the insane way possible. I would never recommend them or try to resale them to any one else. If I wasnt happy .. What makes me think some one else will.
disaster999

You must be retarded.

I feel bad for whoever your representing with "us". But I don't feel bad for you, because your retarded.

cute, all you can do to retaliate is resort to immature tactics that even a 13 year old knows its childish

seriously. just get off the internet. the world will thank you

Why do these things always end up in name calling.

If you think a piece of eqpt isn't for you or you balk at the price, don't buy it. The market will decide what it wants and who is delivering value.

I bought a mp10 and I don't regret it because it did what I bought it for. I didn't do it for really any of the reasons posted though. I just wanted more flow to reach dead spots in my tank (was having Cyano appear in those areas) and consolidate on cords. I figured when I upgraded I could continue to use a mp10 since right now I keep it on 40% in my 20L. I would just up the flow.

I don't recommend mp10's to new salt water enthusiasts. If someone had told me I needed a mp10 to be successful when I first made my 12g, I would have just given up right there because there are so many start up costs already.

i can't really say on reliability/durability as I have only had it 6 months.

Off-topic:

I'm not sure why people call each other names over a mp10. Is there a thread somewhere of people calling each other names because someone has a rimless tank and another person is using a petco tank?

I don't really care how people spend their money as long as it is not my bank account they are using :P My husband thinks my fish hobby is silly but I think its silly he spent 50 dollars on a mouse-pad for a mouse that doesn't need one to even work. He bought it for pure aesthetics but computer stuff is important to him and I think it is healthy for people to have hobbies/interests.

I think the in end, everyone can conclude:

You can get regular power heads. Yeah they work. Awesome. You got a power head that pushes water the same way day in and day out. You spent $200 less than us. Kudos to you. (No sarcasm)

You can get Vortech. Yeah they work. Awesome. We spent $200 more but also got randomized flow, lots of power, low heat in tank, various modes, and low foot footprint in the tank. Kudos to you too.

I'm talking about an MP10 and for a nano tank.

I'm not in for the name calling, only the information.

The only other pumps I could find to fit what the MP10 does are the Tunze NanoStream 6055 and 6095. Those then need a separate controller that is $78+. They are aimable as you mentioned which is an advantage. Are there any other pumps I missed?

I'm not in for the name calling, only the information.

The only other pumps I could find to fit what the MP10 does are the Tunze NanoStream 6055 and 6095. Those then need a separate controller that is $100+. They are aimable as you mentioned which is an advantage. Are there any other pumps I missed?

This is what I'm talking about. If you spend around $150 for pumps/controllers it's more efficient and smarter to buy a Vortech.

dvsclownfish1

Ever heard of tunze, they have been doing it for about 15-20 years longer, plus you can run up to 8 of them off 1 controller. Their waveboxes while bulkier do similar to the short/long pulse mode. It all comes down to do you want something in or out of the tank and the noise difference. I run both and like them for different applications. The tunzes I can point and move in a lot more configurations than a vortech is capable of. But the vortech has a lower profile. And as far as control IF you had an apex or reef keeper you can program stufff similar to reef crest and lagoon modes and still be cheaper almost.

I'd probably try out the tunze if i had a massive tank where real estate isn't a factor. The aiming is a big advantage. Then again they look pretty ugly and aesthetics in my tank is a factor. I'm not a coral farmer.

joel sandoman

Am I the only one who doesn't really care for having the motor hanging on the outside? To me it's just as bad as having the whole pump inside. To me this part of it isn't a selling point.

Think I'm gonna look into the tunze for my next build. I feel like having 2 pumps that you can direct flow that have variable flow for less money is more what I am looking for depending on how they're reviewed. Thank you for giving me that info.

What is the problem with buying equipment to make us happy? Isn't your happiness the reason you are in this hobby to begin with? It would be pretty hard to make the argument that you keep fish and corals caged for their betterment, wouldn't it?

Am I the only one who doesn't really care for having the motor hanging on the outside? To me it's just as bad as having the whole pump inside. To me this part of it isn't a selling point.

I think most people are more interested in preserving tank real estate since it more directly affects the layout inside the tank. I typically don't mind a vortech sticking on the side, but I can absolutely see how it can and does detract from a tank.

dvsclownfish1

I'm not a fanboy as I have both and like both but like I said each has it's advantages and disadvantages. I forget that most have tanks to small to put a tunze in but they also make the deco rock for those that want to hide it somewhat( cord is still there). But you cover it with zoas or an encrusting monti and your golden.

Julian_blnc

Put it on the back wall and paint the back black

I like having it on the outside

I think it's cool to see and always impresses non reef people when looking at my tank

Yes, I agree. The outside is ugly. I plan on putting it on the back wall when I get a cube shaped tank to hide it.

Archived