Innovative Marine Aquariums

mp10: reliability, durability, value?

LarryMoeCurly

Haters gonna hate.

There's no hate. Just truth.

I did the same. I bought one based on 2, 3, and 4 when they were new.

It was cool to look at and fun to play with, but it was annoying listening to it in my living room and I saw no difference in my livestock vs. using a cheaper powerhead/wavemaker.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kfmmartin19

There's no hate. Just truth.

I did the same. I bought one based on 2, 3, and 4 when they were new.

It was cool to look at and fun to play with, but it was annoying listening to it in my living room and I saw no difference in my livestock vs. using a cheaper powerhead/wavemaker.

Haha I'm just messing with u man.

Maybe to u it's not worth it but to me it's worth the money to get all the features and get a chord and bulky pump out of my tank. And IMO it's not that loud and has improved the health of my corals. Just my opinion. U can have yours too.

Haters gonna hate.

Not necessarily...

I think a lot of people purchase based on #3. And to a point #1 and 2... It's pretty common here when a beginner asks for advice on what to buy many members here will list a vortech as an important piece of equipment - I can link at least 5 or 6 threads where this is suggested to a beginner. It's easier when starting out to just buy something that is popular and people like rather than going through the steps of researching how to create the proper flow using regular pumps - convenience helps offset the cost.

So yeah I agree a lot of people buy them because they're popular and it's easier to use one than going through the steps of re-designing my tank for better flow. Hell I may even get one because they look so damn nice. That being said... I don't have one.

I see no reason why you couldn't create equal or better flow using standard pumps. The catch is that you may have to do some redesigning of your rock work and/or buy multiple pumps. I still doubt you would even come close to the cost of the MP10 even buying several pumps, but there are other benefits as well such as the aesthetics, which is important to some tanks (like mine being in the dining room) but less important for some basement tanks/frag tanks.

Good luck with your MP10 ;)

TeflonTomDosh

Lol, to dang funny. Great marketing angle :)

I love mine and like many said wouldent set up a future build with out them.

I especially appreciate the night mode. So my clowns can get a little break.

funny you say that. I just put my mp40s into night mode tonight. I had never used that when I had mp10s. Things seem to be a bit more subtle this evening, lol

When I first bought one after i had a pair of 20's pair of 60's and a pair of 40's figured my edge would love it boy was it a pita to get the noise and sand down. Besides the price its a good pump. Funny how people swear up and down that the water stays cooler couse of powerhead is outside and woopty woo is bull$#¥+ the glass is hot around the power head and heat transfers back in thru glass.

I had a pair of 60's on the 370gallon but took them out not enought flow in any setting 100% so havent thought of what else to se to get some motion in tank yet. My half circle in the avatar was one of the very first tanks to sport the 40's and they are still in the tank. I had issues with them everything whent wrong with them same thing my buddy whent thru with her 40's I cant really count on both hands how manny times we both sent in the 40's couse they would quit working they were pisses of caca , but they would replace them every time.

I think its a fad my 10's a pair of them are in a box in closet maybe one day ill setup a fresh water tank and use them.

Never touched my mp10esw or mp20 in 2+ years besides plugging them into an outlet. Sold the mp20 with no issues, still have the mp10

Funny how people swear up and down that the water stays cooler couse of powerhead is outside and woopty woo is bull$#¥+ the glass is hot around the power head and heat transfers back in thru glass.

I completely agree. My Mp40 will kick my chiller on after running for about 20 - 30 minutes at 60% or more.

Think this has convinced me to not get one. If I'm dropping that much money on something when the next comparable product is like a fraction of the cost, it should be worry free.

Reasons why people buy MP10's:

1) Because everyone else has one (33%)

2) Status - If you don't have this fad technology, your tank is crap (33%)

3) Aesthetics/Tech guru - For the clean look or because it's features give you a geekgasm (33%)

4) Because you ignorantly believe it will make your coral and livestock happier than a regular powerhead (100%)

In reality, #4 is just how you justify spending that much money to fulfill reason 1, 2, and/or 3.

I've owned an MP10 and sold it. Based purely on benefit to livestock, the price does not justify the cost in my opinion. People have been keeping gorgeous thriving tanks for years with $15-50 maxijet and aquaclear powerheads. A $20-50 Koralia works just fine too.

If you want to buy it based on reason 1-3, that's cool...it's your money. Personally I'd rather spend the extra money on quality live rock and coral.

Does it make you mad that other people have nice things?

Does it make you mad that other people have nice things?

Absolutely not. There is nothing wrong with having nice things.

The cost vs. benefit is not justified though when compared to alternatives that are a fraction of the price. That is the point.

People should not decide to buy an mp10 based on thinking it will be superior in the end result in terms of maintaining a successul reef tank.

LarryMoeCurly

The cost vs. benefit is not justified though when compared to alternatives that are a fraction of the price. That is the point.

This is the main reason I made this thread. I couldn't justify that expense myself, so I hoped others would put my mind at ease and tell me how it's a great piece of equipment well worth every penny. Let me put it this way, if I were to tell my parents (that know nothing of the hobby) that I spent $235 on something to move the water around, I cannot even imagine the reacton I would get; they would just be flabergasted. I guess that probably goes for a lot of things in this hobby though. :lol:

There are a lot of people that have only great things to say about the mp10. However, there are still those that are skeptical and deem it unworthy of the price. I thought that the mp10 would have been out long enough for the community to have come to some solid conclusions regarding its value and performance. It appears I was wrong. Good discussion here though.

If you spend $50 dollars on power heads, get a wave maker for them you're looking at around $100. You're already in the hundred dollar range so why not go a bit more and get a superior, better, awesome-er product? :P

This is the main reason I made this thread. I couldn't justify that expense myself, so I hoped others would put my mind at ease and tell me how it's a great piece of equipment well worth every penny. Let me put it this way, if I were to tell my parents (that know nothing of the hobby) that I spent $235 on something to move the water around, I cannot even imagine the reacton I would get; they would just be flabergasted. I guess that probably goes for a lot of things in this hobby though. :lol:

There are a lot of people that have only great things to say about the mp10. However, there are still those that are skeptical and deem it unworthy of the price. I thought that the mp10 would have been out long enough for the community to have come to some solid conclusions regarding its value and performance. It appears I was wrong. Good discussion here though.

The community has come to the conclusion as follows:

For the 99% of those who buy them, they love them and find them amazing.

For the 99% of those who don't buy them, they think they are overpriced snake oil.

What I like most about the vortech is the ability for it to give random flow. It doesn't matter if you run pumps in a wave maker or constant on, you end up with dominating flow patterns with very little variability. Randomly changing the intensity creates that random flow that you just don't get otherwise. It's also why you'll find most people NOT running their MP-x0s to make waves, but on one of the random flow settings.

I can't compare it to much as it is the only pump I have ever had. :P It has been working great as far as I can tell. It's really what you are willing to spend. I really like the fact that the Vortech has different modes including feed mode etc.. that doesn't require me to unplug anything or stick my hands in the tank.

It's a gadget really. It's like women that spend $300 on shoes. Can they have shoes that are $50? Sure. Do they look as nice? Probably not. Except with a Vortech instead of just style we also get some fancy shchmancy modes to occupy our time :

I can't compare it to much as it is the only pump I have ever had. :P It has been working great as far as I can tell. It's really what you are willing to spend. I really like the fact that the Vortech has different modes including feed mode etc.. that doesn't require me to unplug anything or stick my hands in the tank.

It's a gadget really. It's like women that spend $300 on shoes. Can they have shoes that are $50? Sure. Do they looks as nice? Probably not. Except with a Vortech instead of just style we also get some fancy shchmancy modes to occupy our tiome :

The person who got me into this hobby thought I was crazy for buying an RKL.

LarryMoeCurly

The community has come to the conclusion as follows:

For the 99% of those who buy them, they love them and find them amazing.

For the 99% of those who don't buy them, they think they are overpriced snake oil.

That is probably acurate, however I think there is some bias here. Of course those that buy them are going to say they love it. They just spent >$200 on it, they need to/already have convinced themselves that it was a worthwhile and reasonable purchase.

Although, many people in this thread have tried to give an objective evaluation of the mp10, and I appreciate that.

That is probably acurate, however I think there is some bias here. Of course those that buy them are going to say they love it. They just spent >$200 on it, they need to/already have convinced themselves that it was a worthwhile and reasonable purchase.

I'm not sure I'd agree with that. There are a lot of products that aren't cheap that people rip on here. Just go take a look at some of the reviews of high end tanks that didn't meet people's expectations.

If I could find a pump that keeps cords out of my tank, gives me controllable and random flow, has a small profile for the work it does, and is cheaper then the MP10 I would of bought it. I did not find such a pump, so I bought an MP10. I also expect it to work for 2+ years. If it doesn't I will come back to these forums to whine and cry, and then I would buy another MP10.

disaster999

the only thing that have the vortech pumps going for them is the fact that it has a minimal footprint in the tank making it a clean look.

for anything else other powerheads in the market can do the same and better.

the only thing that have the vortech pumps going for them is the fact that it has a minimal footprint in the tank making it a clean look.

for anything else other powerheads in the market can do the same and better.

Please elaborate.

disaster999

the thing the vortech lacks is the ability to adjust the direction of the flow. this will happen when you design it to sit flush against the wall of the tank. you have to design your scape around the vortech , making sure nothing sits infront of the pump. others have adjustable flow direction which allows for better flow management and directing the flow when it needs to go.

also you will spend most of your time moving the motor assembly ever so slightly so the magnets are perfectly aligned to get rid of the humming noise. not to mention the infamous bearing issue with you may or may not get. the excellent customer service over at ecotech will happily sell you a new dry side assembly at full retail price, or you can replace the bearings yourself, which without the right tools might damage the motor housing/magnets/etc.

other functions like the wave maker or current generator, there are other companys like tunze, koralia, redsea etc that makes similar controllers. hell even some electronic reef monitors like reef angel, reef keeper, GHL can control pumps. all the other solutions only have one controller that controls multiple pumps where as ecotech makes you buy the whole pump+ controller. initial cost might not differ much. but once you start adding more pumps, vortechs will add up quick.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I've had my mp10 for nearly two years now.

Beneficial to tank environment by replicating natural ocean flow, no electrical current in tank, no motor (less heat) in tank... Great controllability. Which is what it's all about isn't it!

The MP10 is actually very good value.

Look at how much it would cost to buy a system that lets you control power levels on a randomization schedule as well as support a night mode with that level of max flow.

I wish they made a more expensive smaller model with better bearings.

Archived