Pod Your Reef

mp10: reliability, durability, value?

LarryMoeCurly

LarryMoeCurly

I've done some mp10 bashing lately, but if it really is a purchase worth making, then I would gladly buy one. Money is not really an issue, but I like to get what I pay for and don't like to buy things simply because they are the fad at the moment.

I am not particularly interested in individual opinions here, I am more interested in a general summation of opinions, a conglomerate pro and con list if you will. So many people own an mp10 that the community as a whole surely has come to some conclusions regarding it's durability (longevity), reliability, and overall value; I am interested to here what those conclusions are.

I have read that they can be rather loud, but I have also read that they can be nearly silent. I have also read of pumps lasting less than 2 years (this would be unacceptable).

I have a 20g long, with an AC70, koralia nano 240, and koralia nano 425. I would replace the koralias with the mp10. I plan to get into SPS, which is why I am considering the upgrade.

I am not trying to start and arguement. I realize that these are very popular, so they must be good. However, $240 is quite a bit for a powerhead. I just want to know that it will last a long time, perform as it's advertised to, be beneficial to my tank, and be worth the money.

I look foreward to any input you may have. Some suggestions as to the best (cheapest?) places to get a new one would be helpful as well.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
xerophyte_nyc

I have 2 MP10s, coming up on a 2-yr anniversary. The only noise issues I've ever experienced were when my tanks were first set up, and this is because some sand gets into the motor during the initial sandstorms of a new setup. You can hear the ceramic grinding the sand like a scratching noise. The remedy is easy - take apart the pump and clean it with some water and a sponge. Other than that, the motor does hum and it is audible at full power but if you run it at a random mode the humming is sporadic not constant.

I have not had any other issues. They work as advertised, as long as they are maintained. Like any other reef equipment, a periodic cleaning and weak acid bath is needed.

I don't think anyone can argue that MP10 provides superior flow compared to other powerheads. The only argument is whether or not you believe that the superior flow is important to the health of the tank.

I bashed the MP10 as overpriced for what it does. I was wrong, the thing is incredible and one major benefit, for me anyway, was it cooled my tank by 2F since the motor is on the outside. I think the biggest benefit is the ability to set it in a mode, like reef crest, where much of the time the flow is low to moderate and then a big blast that the SPS like and the LPS can tolerate.

All of this from one pump in my 40 instead of two large bulky pumps.

For the longest time I would not crave to the mp-10 craze,

Now I can't imagine not having one

Although I can not comment on longevity

Once I put the mp-10 on my tank all of my corals opened up more

Especially my once finicky acans

The pump is nearly silent on my tank because I have it lined up well and it on about 50% of full speed

When you have it on full blast the hum is more noticable

However full blast will blow the water out of the tank on a 20l

I have 2 MP10's and an MP40. 1 MP10 is about 4 or 5 years old, blue box upgraded to a ESW, and the other an ecosmart about 2 years old. Aesthetic-wise and overall water movement capabilities, there's nothing even close. They're very reliable and should outlast most internal powerheads. I don't think any of this is really debatable. You'll find some stories of bearings blowing out (which can be replaced for about $30), but otherwise I don't think there's a more reliable pump for small tanks.

Cons for me:

They're a noisy pump if they're run on high. The noise is a whirring on spin-up and on high volume modes, such as running at > 50% or so. I run all of mine on Nutrient transfer mode 100% of the time, at about 75%. Funny enough, my old blue box one is way higher quality than the newer one. Dry side is thicker than the newer version. Produces less heat and is quieter on the same settings. But, regardless of which version, you couldn't buy one for me to use in a tank where silence is required, like a bedroom.

They're also expensive, no question, especially considering you can run a successful tank with normal powerheads just fine. Since you can successfully keep a tank with other pump configurations, the value in one of these is going to be specific to any individual aquarium keeper. They look good, but iun the end water movement is water movement. Is it worth it for you to spend 4 times what you could spend on 2 koralias and a JBJ 2 way wavemaker?

Cheapest option is to buy one used. You wont need the wireless option which reduces the cost by $50 or so. Even a blue box version is an upgrade in movement options from the koralias and you can upgrade to the ecosmart later if you want to.

As far as essentials, a good ATO is #1 on my list. If you don't have that, then I would hold off on the vortechs for now.

I bought one and don't regret it.

If you want to know if they make a difference or not, take a look at ToTM winners and see how many have a MP-X. Or better yet find out how many don't have a vortech for their pump.

You can get a used, non wireless one for around 180, or new for around 235.

I've had mine for two years. Best money I've spent. It's only noisy if it the wetside is slightly off center, which is easily adjusted. My only complaint about it is the price.

LarryMoeCurly

Thanks for all of the input. I am hopeful that this will be a helpful resource for those in a similar postion as me.

Just for some more context: I am trying to "revamp" my tank; it gets neglected for weeks at a time while I am in school. As such, both the hardware and livestock are lacking; I would like to remedy this. The big hardware purchases/upgrades on my list are RO/DI unit, ATO, mp10, and possibly lighting. I will likely get the RO/DI from BRS. I was planning on a tunze nano ATO, but Begow said that they don't work well on rimmed tanks.

Thanks again everyone for participating in this discussion; I appreciate the thoroughness and thoughfullness with which you approach it. I look foreward to hearing from others.

LarryMoeCurly

I would personally recommend the spectrapure Rodi over the brs

Even the 90 gpd refurb is leaps and bounds better

Yes, I will consider that. I have read AZdesertrat's "rants" on this topic. (I mean that in a nice way BTW)

Thanks for the advice.

I would personally recommend the spectrapure Rodi over the brs

Even the 90 gpd refurb is leaps and bounds better

Yes, I will consider that. I have read AZdesertrat's "rants" on this topic. (I mean that in a nice way BTW)

Thanks for the advice.

Their customer service sucks balls though, if you ever have any issues...

I'm using a 5 stage BRS Chloramines unit, and have had nothing but 0 TDS water. A lot of your choice should depend on your source water quality.

BTW, I have been running my MP10es for a bit now and have to say it's a pretty darn great wavemaker. Initially the whirring noise was annoying as hell, but it has since quieted down after running a few weeks. When you get between 80-100% it can be a bit loud IMO, but i'm running it around 50% and can barely hear it :)

LarryMoeCurly

If I did order form BRS I would probably get this unit. I am going to get a TDS meter from amazon first to see what my tap water is like (and because that RO/DI does not have an inline TDS).

Anyway, back on topic. It is good to hear from other people who were origianlly very skeptical about buying one; I hope it speaks to the quality of the mp10 that skeptics have become believers.

Also, some have mentioned the noise issue. From what I am reading it only occurs at the higher output levels; considering mine would be in a 20 long, it would likely be at a relatively low output level.

If I did order form BRS I would probably get this unit. I am going to get a TDS meter from amazon first to see what my tap water is like (and because that RO/DI does not have an inline TDS).

Anyway, back on topic. It is good to hear from other people who were origianlly very skeptical about buying one; I hope it speaks to the quality of the mp10 that skeptics have become believers.

Also, some have mentioned the noise issue. From what I am reading it only occurs at the higher output levels; considering mine would be in a 20 long, it would likely be at a relatively low output level.

I have the BRS 75 GPD RO/DI unit, and so far it's great.. I've put about 100 gallons through it, the in-line TDS meter and my handheld meter give me consistent readings at 0.

I love my MP10, such a great invention. The only downside is they can be a bit noisy. Keep in mind my fish tank is in my living room which is pretty tiny. I'm also pretty sensitive to hearing and smells, so anything small can drive me crazy. Once mine ramps up to around 50% it gets my attention.

shaneandjohn

I love my MP-10. Customer service did leave a bit of a bad taste in my mouth though. 1week out of warranty my Wet- side began to Howl. I contacted Eco Tech and they said, Nothing we can do, It's out of Warranty. Frustrated, I did buy a new Wetside. I just thought I would have gotten a little better treatment is all. Would I buy another one if I set up another tank. YES.

jnguyen5820

My question is, when are they coming out with a new version? Cause I don't want to buy one now and for them to come out with a new one 3 months down the road.

I like my Vortech MP-10 a lot. It can get loud if you don't properly align it or the occasional snail will go through the crack and make a really surprising sound, but once aligned well, it's pretty quiet. I think it's a good buy. You don't need it though, but it's great. I use it in my 20 gallon long, and I feel keeping SPS with it will be nice. I've had my MP10 for 3-4 months now. Still running great.

Reasons why people buy MP10's:

1) Because everyone else has one (33%)

2) Status - If you don't have this fad technology, your tank is crap (33%)

3) Aesthetics/Tech guru - For the clean look or because it's features give you a geekgasm (33%)

4) Because you ignorantly believe it will make your coral and livestock happier than a regular powerhead (100%)

In reality, #4 is just how you justify spending that much money to fulfill reason 1, 2, and/or 3.

I've owned an MP10 and sold it. Based purely on benefit to livestock, the price does not justify the cost in my opinion. People have been keeping gorgeous thriving tanks for years with $15-50 maxijet and aquaclear powerheads. A $20-50 Koralia works just fine too.

If you want to buy it based on reason 1-3, that's cool...it's your money. Personally I'd rather spend the extra money on quality live rock and coral.

Kfmmartin19
Reasons why people buy MP10's:

1) Because everyone else has one (33%)

2) Status - If you don't have this fad technology, your tank is crap (33%)

3) Aesthetics/Tech guru - For the clean look or because it's features give you a geekgasm (33%)

4) Because you ignorantly believe it will make your coral and livestock happier than a regular powerhead (100%)

In reality, #4 is just how you justify spending that much money to fulfill reason 1, 2, and/or 3.

I've owned an MP10 and sold it. Based purely on benefit to livestock, the price does not justify the cost in my opinion. People have been keeping gorgeous thriving tanks for years with $15-50 maxijet and aquaclear powerheads. A $20-50 Koralia works just fine too.

If you want to buy it based on reason 1-3, that's cool...it's your money. Personally I'd rather spend the extra money on quality live rock and coral.

Haters gonna hate.

Archived