Pod Your Reef

nuvo 16

telcodave

My nuvo 16 arrives tomorrow! Here is my question, although it seems ridiculous to ask but remember reading something about it somewhere: is there a technique to filling it? Fill display first? Filter compartment? Or evenly fill both?

Thanks is advance for comments on my ridiculous question...... Just getting back into the hobby after an 8 year absence...

I would fill it from the display first and leave the sump empty, then test the seams overnight. I've had mine set up for a month or so, and when I did my first water change I noticed a leak.

There is no "right" way to fill it up. Just fill up the display first and check for leaking in the sump compartment. Check all the silicone work on the panel that separates the sump area from the display. That is were most people have had issues with leaking. If there is a leak, contact Innovative Marine right away and they will take care of you.

Thanks, I'll fill the display first...... Was never even close to an expert, but, used to have 3 ref tanks up and flourishing. They were much larger, 2 72`s and a 26. My how things have changed in the past 8-10 years, this little task has me a bit intimidated...

There is a wrong way to fill it. Don't fill the back part first. The earlier tanks had the black acrylic panel siliconed to the glass partitions and would pop loose if you filled the back first. The newer tanks have a glass pane siliconed to the partitions and then the black acrylic siliconed to it. Either way, just fill the display first. I just got my replacement tank this week.

There is a wrong way to fill it. Don't fill the back part first. The earlier tanks had the black acrylic panel siliconed to the glass partitions and would pop loose if you filled the back first. The newer tanks have a glass pane siliconed to the partitions and then the black acrylic siliconed to it. Either way, just fill the display first. I just got my replacement tank this week.

was your original tank the older or newer model?

Gotta say at this point I'm pretty concerned over all these leaking tank reports.....in my past life in the hobby I had countless tanks, mainly AGA & Oceanic, and never had one leak.....

The first one was the old style. The tank never leaked, the back partition popped loose is all. The only effect on performance this had was that sometimes it would let some of the sugar sand come through the bottom and it would blow it back out of the returns. The tank never leaked though. Steve at IM was awesome about it though and I had a replacement tak the day after I called.

I had a nuvo 16, and the way I recommend filling it the way I did it. First fill the display right up to the overflows but not enough that water actually starts overflowing. Then put your rocks and sand in. The reason being, they will displace water, but the water will flow into the back. Once you are done aquascaping, fill up the display until the rear area is full. Then turn on your pump. Check you level and add water if necessary.

Doing it this way you can avoid having to remove any water. If you fill up the display and the rear chambers and then put in your rocks and sand you will probably end up with a water line that is way too high or even possibly spill over the sides.

Archived