Coral Vue Hydros

Hexadron's Nitoralis [Retired]

Hexadron

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats amazing. Please tell me more about your two overflow boxes

Well this tank is an AIO, but I didn't want a false back wall due to the reduced display area. A sump was not an option with this tank, so I needed to figure something out that would hide the equipment, and also provide sufficient surface skimming ability.

A toothless overflow will provide more substantial surface skimming, and Chris was able to make it with glossy black acrylic and bent corners, which looks really nice.

In each overflow is an Eheim Compact 300 pump just to move water, each is rated at 80gph and I have them turned up all the way. The MP10 is for the flow in the tank. I went with the Eheim as review stated it was dead silent, and I can confirm it is! I am very sensitive to noise, so what is quiet for most will sound like a turbo jet engine to me, and this is barely audible.

One overflow will have filtration (TBD), and the other will hold the Neo-Therm 75w heater and any other gadgets I get along the way. :)

Tank looks amazing, I like the custom filtration you have going on.

Thanks, I took a lot into consideration, but it's pretty simple :P

I'm REALLY looking forward to this setup. Great tank!

I can't wait to get some corals!

Awesome concept and build... chris really did a amazing job. Cant wait to see this filled.

I agree. Chris does great work.

Oooohh, even the empty tank looks sweeetttt!!....and some good photography skills too!

Haha thanks :P I'm still a major noob when it comes to Photography though. I luck out every now and then with a good shot. :happy:

very cool filtration idea, i've considered similar but with all the crap i have in the back of my tank I am glad i wen't with a full back. On a smaller tank like your's i bet you can keep the plugged in in tank crap minimized.

very cool filtration idea, i've considered similar but with all the crap i have in the back of my tank I am glad i wen't with a full back. On a smaller tank like your's i bet you can keep the plugged in in tank crap minimized.

Thanks. Luckily I had a good idea of what equipment was going in the back chambers, so I was able to measure the volume of the equipment to make sure it fit with the possibility for upgrades/additions for the future. Since the tank is smaller, I can get away with smaller pumps/heaters etc.

Right now I am using 5 plugs for equipment.

1. Eheim Compact 300 (1)
  2. Eheim Compact 300 (2)
  3. Ecotech Vortech MP10
  4. Cobalt Neo-Therm 75w Heater
  5. Maxspect Razor 120w 16k

I'm pretty satisfied with total power output as well. Since the Razor won't be outputting at 100%, it is still super energy efficient vs output, and each Eheim Compact 300 only uses 4 watts at full power! The Ecotech MP10 of course varies depending on settings, but mostly will not be run past 50% and the heater is barely on, as my ambient room temperature is pretty solid (testing temp with no heater while leak testing proved the heater will almost never come on) Maybe only in the evening with my window open.

Love this build! Thanks for sharing it with us. :)

My pleasure B)

Aquascape! As with so many people, the aquascape was difficult to figure out. I ended up using a hammer and screwdriver to break apart the massive (soccer ball sized) pieces of BRS "Reef Saver" rock.

I decided on using Two Little Fishies AquaStik Underwater Epoxy Putty (Grey) and Extra Thick Super Glue to secure the rockscape. The Epoxy smelt like butt, but I got used to it pretty quick LOL. I spent the entire morning reviewing pictures I previously saved from other reefers aquaecapes and checking out various forums for other people's favourite aquascapes.

I tried emulating a few rock-scapes, but ended up deciding to just "go for it" and create something from scratch that I could call my own. I ended up incorporating a cave-like structure, with overhang and "roots" three things which I like very much. :happy: I am quite pleased with the result. Here are some "studio" pics of the scape. First one is the front, and the next is the back.

2czr4zq.jpg

a5ixyd.jpg

Nice man looks great.....dont hate me for saying this.... I think you got the pictures mixed up...lol the back looks like it should be the front :D

Kinda reminds me of my scape I just did in the 80 :)

20130213_192341-1_zps1c5889f4.jpg

Your tank is gonna look fantastic man. Im sure you are super excited like I am for mine that just started cycling yesterday

naw the first pic is def the front, you have way more negative space in the aquarium with it and will lend it to a much cleaner look.

I really like the thin arch, any thicker and it looks clunky, the back is more that look than the front for sure.

Also as for placement, since I am not sure of the scale of that thing, if it is at all possible to put the right side of the big arch in front of your mp10/wire it will make for an amazing cover up.

Looks really great man, it will definitely take advantage of the space in the tank.

Thank you! I'll try to post some more pics either later tonight or tomorrow in the tank.

Somehow missed this one. But...... wow this little baby is off to a great start.

Thanks for the compliment. Slow and steady...

Nice man looks great.....dont hate me for saying this.... I think you got the pictures mixed up...lol the back looks like it should be the front :D

Kinda reminds me of my scape I just did in the 80 :)

Your tank is gonna look fantastic man. Im sure you are super excited like I am for mine that just started cycling yesterday

Your scape looks wonderful! If only I had more room! It is a bit hard to tell from the pics, but you'll see once I post pics of it in the tank :)

naw the first pic is def the front, you have way more negative space in the aquarium with it and will lend it to a much cleaner look.

I really like the thin arch, any thicker and it looks clunky, the back is more that look than the front for sure.

Also as for placement, since I am not sure of the scale of that thing, if it is at all possible to put the right side of the big arch in front of your mp10/wire it will make for an amazing cover up.

That's exactly what I was trying to acheive hey! the arch was actually pretty hard to acheive. The arch alone probably consited of 5 or 6 pieces of rock!

Depending on placement of the MP10, the top of the arch will cover it about 75% which hides it well and dispurses the flow nicely. Hopefully it works out. :)

Mr. Microscope

v8lxdh.jpg

Holy cow! Nice build by Pico, but even better photograph by you! Amazingly clean. :bowdown: PicoAquariums should hire you to image their tanks.

Aslo..

This is one well planned tank. Can't wait to see more of this one. Subscribed!

Your right lol ill trust your judgement...you've done right thus far

Haha, it does look pretty cool from the back :P It will look even better from the front when it's wet - you'll see... ;)

Holy cow! Nice build by Pico, but even better photograph by you! Amazingly clean. :bowdown: PicoAquariums should hire you to image their tanks.

Aslo..

This is one well planned tank. Can't wait to see more of this one. Subscribed!

I am so amazed at the quality. It's so funny because right after receiving the tank, I went to my LFS to take a look around and get some extra supplies and the standard tanks there looked like poo. :P Haha, I'd definitely work for Chris as Photographer! I think the distance thing is a bit of an issue though, Hear that Chris, you can fly me out anytime. Maybe you could write it off :lol:

If my tank can be anything remotely close to yours I will be one happy camper!

Haha, it does look pretty cool from the back :P It will look even better from the front when it's wet - you'll see... ;)

I am so amazed at the quality. It's so funny because right after receiving the tank, I went to my LFS to take a look around and get some extra supplies and the standard tanks there looked like poo. :P Haha, I'd definitely work for Chris as Photographer! I think the distance thing is a bit of an issue though, Hear that Chris, you can fly me out anytime. Maybe you could write it off :lol:

If my tank can be anything remotely close to yours I will be one happy camper!

I think everyone that has gotten a pic0 I have seen has been throughly impressed with the seam and alignment quality. I am a pretty harsh critic even to compare it to my ada tank and am impressed.

Mr. Microscope

Haha, I'd definitely work for Chris as Photographer! I think the distance thing is a bit of an issue though, Hear that Chris, you can fly me out anytime. Maybe you could write it off :lol:

Pfft, he doesn't need to fly you out. He should just send you a bunch of his tanks for free. That'd be the easy way ;)

Archived