SaltCritters.com

Surfer D's 5.5g 'I'm topless!'

lnglostsurfer

I hate when GSP randomly doesn't open....always makes me think sh*t is hitting the fan.

LOL i know what you mean!, "shit i better do some tests!"

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply
lnglostsurfer

Well, I tested everything yesterday, it was fine...still did a 40% water change (since it was that time of week). It looks like there is a very tiny aptasia growing just under/beside the edge of the GSP. I'm assuming this would cause it to not open at all. Should I move the gsp to try and kill it? It's already attached itself to the rock...

Granted while aiptasia could well be the cause. Sometimes gsp does sulk for a few days. Nothing wrong with the water or anything, it just sulks. :) Then it's fine again. They also liked to be cleaned of debris once in a while.

L

When we had apstasia, I took the rock out, got a syringe and needle (you can buy from a pet spply or livestock feed store) and stuck it with lemon juice. Never came back.

Granted while aiptasia could well be the cause. Sometimes gsp does sulk for a few days. Nothing wrong with the water or anything, it just sulks. :) Then it's fine again. They also liked to be cleaned of debris once in a while.

L

Sorrry for hijacking but how would you clean some of the debris off that like stuck? With a toothbrush?

lnglostsurfer

Best way to clean debris off is with a turkey baster...just blow water across it (and across all of your rock) right before you do a water change. Which I did yesterday, and today it's open again. I love GSP but it can be so darn frustrating!! It looks like it might just grow right over the aptasia? Can GSP overtake aptasia? I'd rather not peel it off the rock if I don't have to...we'll see what happens, experiements are fun, right? I just wish I could see my tank with lights on, been working 12-14 hour days the last few and I don't want to adjust my light cycle at all.

lnglostsurfer

So GSP is up and everything is good again. Now it's just an endless wait for more money to waste on my tank...Although these last couple weeks have been about 60 hr work weeks for me so hopefully a good chunk of the overtime pay can buy new goodies!

lnglostsurfer

So, I have seen quite a few different things in the 3 tanks that I've had over the years but this is a new one for me. I noticed one about a week ago and now there are a few more roaming around the tank. Not really sure what they are, I'm assuming some sort of pod or harmless critter. If anyone knows specifically feel free to chime in. If not, I know there's like 1000's of different little bugs that can be in aquariums so no big loss.

Edit: These guys can move somewhat quick too (as in I can actually watch them crawl across the glass)

IMG_20130403_100704_262.jpg

lnglostsurfer

Hm...ok well how bad are flatworms and what do they do? And how do I get rid of them? I know they are bad but I don't know towards what. GAH I'm never using liverock again.......only dry rock from now on.

• 3 weeks later...
lnglostsurfer

So, I've been a bit busy with work lately and short on cash but I'm finally starting to catch up on things. Tank hasn't changed much yet, other than a few new aptasia and flatworms....SOOOOOOO I think I'm going to kind of do a switcheroo. I'm going to transfer everything in this tank to a 5 gallon (petco $1 per gallon sale right now!) And get some dry rock and sand and re-cycle this tank. Then I'll transfer the few corals I have back to the aqueon. Or maybe I'll just setup a 5 gallon full time and skip the evolve? This could turn a few different directions but should be fun.

Anyone know the guy that makes the false wall inserts for the 5 gallon tanks? Can't remember off the top of my head...

lnglostsurfer

Alright well I got everything I need. Working on taking the top rim off the 5.5 gallon right now. So my plan is to transfer the rock to the 5.5, completely dump the sand, and deep clean the evolve. Then setup the evolve with new sand and new dry rock. My question is, what is the best way to seed the new live rock so that I KNOW there won't be any aptasia or flatworms? I really want to start getting coralline algae and pods preferably but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. There is a very good chance that this 5.5 gallon will be a permanent tank though, even if just for quarantine/frags.

lnglostsurfer

So I started playing around with the dry rocks....kind of basic shapes but should make for a pretty sweet scape. Going to build it dry out of the JB waterweld. There shall be shelves and overhangs and caves.....as much as I can do in a 4 gallon tank. The 5.5 is water testing in the bathtub for the time being. I didn't realize how much of a pain it was to take the rim off of these things!! Debating on using an old power filter from a 55 gallon on the 5.5 or just using a power head. Don't think the light would fit if I did the power filter though so we shall see...

lnglostsurfer

I'm really debating now on which one to set up as my display tank...I miss all of my other glass aquariums, this has been my first acrylic and I'm not a huge fan of it. But I would just want to spend more money on an AC filter for this guy so I'm kind of up in the air. And I would have to find another place to put it since it wouldn't fit on my desk. And the woman is already warning me about having 2 tanks in the house. Grrrr decisions!!

lnglostsurfer

Here's a brief preview of the rockwork I've been working on (I'm really starting to love dry-rock)

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20130423_140950_829.jpg.html'>IMG_20130423_140950_829.jpg

And here is the 5.5 with the rim off. Heating up the water now so after work I can start transferring over the rock and corals. My LFS said she would let me borrow some flatworm exit since I would only need a little bit. Hopefully we can at least nip that problem in the booty.

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20130423_141036_662.jpg.html'>IMG_20130423_141036_662.jpg

And I had to take some time to go hiking with the pup today

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/2013-02-06_15-53-49_441-1.jpg.html'>2013-02-06_15-53-49_441-1.jpg

lnglostsurfer

Deciding to go for the 5.5 gallon as my main display, so things are going to be switched up a bit. It's my day off so hopefully lots of reefy goodness will take place today.

lnglostsurfer

Alright, so the "5.5 peninsula" is up and running. Will be getting the flatworm exit from my lfs this afternoon to treat the evolve. So far the 5.5 is looking good though, I went with a hang on back power filter for a 30g. Pushing about 200 gph from the end of the tank. It was the biggest one I could squeeze on the end of this little 5.5, there is literally no clearance at all.

Got most of my rock structure in there (my cat knocked it off the table last night and busted off one of the rocks) Should still have plenty of room for a few small chunks of live rock from my other tank once I clean them up a little bit. Hopefully it won't take long to cycle....

The 5.5

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20130424_160540_424.jpg.html'>IMG_20130424_160540_424.jpg

Both tanks on either side of the computer

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/lnglostsurfer/media/IMG_20130424_160612_835.jpg.html'>IMG_20130424_160612_835.jpg

hhaha nice upgrade! :P if you can get a piece of live rock in there asap i would say its 4 week cycle period with dry rock. but time will pass by quickly, look at me my tank been up for 1 month already LOL

lnglostsurfer

Once I can get some live rock from the other tank free of aptasia and my flatworm problem taken care of I will transfer a few chunks over. I really don't want to wait for another cycle but I still have the other tank setup until then to keep me happy. Actually picked up another zoa frag today while I was at the LFS....bright pink with blue center and blue fringe....pretty excited about it. I'll post some pictures up whenever things open up in the morning.

lnglostsurfer

Well, it came out halfway decent on my cellphone but doesn't quite show the true fluorescents of the pink. This thing glows when the lights are off I swear.

IMG_20130425_085706_929.jpg

lnglostsurfer

So I gotta figure out how to deal with my new problem. I guess the sand is the perfect size to where it fits through the intake tube of the new power filter but ends up jamming up the impeller. I guess I'll put a foam pad around it or something. Once the sand settles though I don't think I will have a problem. It jammed up in the middle of last night and since I have my heater in the power filter, the whole thing was sitting at about 70 degrees when I woke up this morning. No biggie since there's nothing in there yet but we can't be having that once things get stocked.

lnglostsurfer

So I'm back on again after working about 40 hours in the past 3 days...I have the filter situation figured out but now I'm battling evaporation. I'm trying to decide between building a hood for this thing or trying to do some sort of cover. The power filter has a ton of flow all at the surface of the water so I think 2 days I evaporated about a quart of water. An ATO will be down the road a bit but I want to have something to help now.

Any good links on a custom hood? I have a general idea how to put one together, that way I could mount my LED light in there and make it a bit less ghetto too. Just not sure about what materials I want to use and how I want to make it.

Archived