Cultivated Reef

Moving from a 29 to a 40 Breeder. Any equipment missing?

jm82792

My tank has been ignored for a while(10% WCs every month, although 0 for everything you want to be 0). I upgraded a year ago to 36 watts of Rebel ES lighting from MH, and later found my drivers were at 1300 ma. So a month ago after finding that out I turned them down, the algae is disapearing, and the colony of 25 zoas left(as they stopped growing and slowly declined) are growing. So the algae starved them, and everything was bad news to say the least.

I want to start fresh, I don't want a sump like I have on my current setup(I have siblings that could "supposedly" get into a sump plus electricity is expensive, and 40 watts running 24/7 adds up), and all that other random stuff.

So I bought a new 40 Breeder and a metal stand (I wanted to do a Ipe stand since Ipe is like teak, but that would take a month) for $150 from the LFS, not bad for Hawaii pricing :) I am doing the regular array of Zoas and Palys, maybe Octocoral which loves cleaner water. Maybe the mystical leather if I can find it.

I have a Remora, a larger AquaClear, the 36 watt LED light, and a Koralia Nano.

Other then upgrading to an Evolution 550 is there anything else?

I think the skimmer is good right? Also tangs, I know it's borderline, but what about a tang or something else other then my tomato clown and Bicolor Blenny? I know, lame questions, but I've been seperated from reefing land for ages.

Anyways thanks for bearing with my dull questions,

Josh

They will say 55 to 75 gallons.

I guess a wrasse or such would be nice.

A heater?!? I think not.

It never gets cold here (It hit 59F outside and I was shocked), and if it hits a chilly 70F inside the house, the pumps keep things warm :)

Well I guess I'm sane enough and have enough equipment to continue on....

Need to find zoas and ask some locals on where they are to be found, I only know of 2 sites of where they grow.

A tomato clown is a pretty big fish, I wouldn't add another large fish to that sized tank (plus all the other reasons for not keeping a tang in that sized tank), The skimmer should be fine with a reasonable fish load. How about a six-line wrasse and a pair of tank bred cardinalfish instead?

I assume that you will be using both of the Koralia pumps and the AquaClear to provide enough flow. The skimmer won't add enough flow to even count it. I'd probably use another Evolution instead of the Nano (along with the power filter).

If the house does get down to 70 degrees, your tank would benefit from a heater (if you don't have one). Temperature stability at around 78 degrees will help.

I agree that you will need to just make sure you can maintain a steady temperature.... it should only fluctuate a max of +-2 degrees in a day.

I'm sure you can do your own research on Tangs. A 36 inch tank is really not enough swimming room for such an active swimmer, and keep in mind a fish rapidly darting around a smaller tank can cause other fish to stress. No simple answer. :)

I use an AC110 for any media and a little extra flow, plus an MP10 for flow. I used to use two 750 GPH pumps, but I was doing SPS. I would think about adding a smaller circulation pump low and aimed behind any rockwork to help keep water quality up and detritus blowing around.

You might want to think of a larger skimmer, but for what you are wanting it might not be needed. Heck, if you;re doing decent size weekly water changes you might not need a skimmer at all.

Water changes have been hit or miss for a long time. My parameters are good (then again less light might change that), but I know things are probably lacking. 15% a month isn't a enough, I think :/ I'm close to a place I can get water, I'll get there more often, and go from there. For temperature I've left it alone, and the temps do fluctuate. Although things seem to do well. But if you go to the shorline, and go tidepooling (The thing I have not done much of in years.) you won't find anything unless it always gets some flow, or the tide if very low. Thus that example alone should tell me that stability wins. I have some Ic2 temp sensors, some relays, and so forth. Might as well get a uber basic temp controller together since I've had bad experinces with heaters getting stuck.

That's a simple enough setup I can't screw it up.

I've used the Eshopps HOB skimmers on larger systems for a hospital (cyano cesspoll from hell), and I was impressed. Although I've owned one skimmer for almost 5 years so what do I know :lol:

Anyways I've sanded with 600 grit, primed, and painted the black metal sand from deathco.

Next I'm going to put silicone into all the joints because I can, since it's steel, not aluminum.

Then to order a few things, an evolution or two (must buy two and fight the jewish in me), and maybe something to remove the algae instead of the magfloat my siblings always mess with. Only if amazon would ship pails of salt, that would be sweet, as all they have here is junk I won't use. That reminds me of my refractrometer, I should calibrate it against some NSW....

Thanks for the input, I usually ask my reefing forum but I started here, and I really like it here.

That reminds me of my refractrometer, I should calibrate it against some NSW

I would either use calibration fluid (which is a precise known value), or distilled or RO/DI water. Local NSW can sometimes vary in salinity.

I have RO DI I'll use then :)

For the Koralia could I just go with the one that does 1050 GPH and the nano, or should I go with the two that give 550 GPH?

For the Koralia could I just go with the one that does 1050 GPH and the nano, or should I go with the two that give 550 GPH?

You could probably just use the 1050gph power head; with the AquaClear filter, that should be enough flow. However, you might be able to direct the flow to particular areas better with two power heads.

I would choose the two 550s, but less equipment usually looks better. So it's a tough call. You could go either way.

In my experience 2 smaller powerheads is better than 1 big one. 2 big ones are better than 2 little ones though!

You'll love the 40b, amazing sized tank.

My tank is a mess right now since it's being moved :)

I found a black birttle star during the move, and it's 4 inches across. Should I keep it or will it eat my fish?

I'll keep it sequestered somewhere until I get a reply..

mandarin_goby

In my 40 breeder (upgraded from a 12 long), I have 2 Koralia 750s, one on each side and a Koralia nano in the center, along with a CPR bak pak skimmer and an aquaclear 70 with Chemical-pure. I also have a marineland breeder box modded into a fuge with a small 50 gph pump.

Agreed about the heater - I've read it should be about 5 watts per gallon.

Loving the dimensions so far!

I really like the size of the tank!

Moving was easy sinve I had everything feet apart.

I just had to heat up the 25 gallons of NSW since it was cold at Laupahoehoe point and it's set.

Now to find a bigger heater and order the koralias.

TrollDoll what I've had before is all 0's and my Zoas would melt and my palys woudl grow.

I see palys grow next to SPS, usually more on the shore though. From waht I've heard they can grow in clean water, Zoas supposedly melt...

Keep using the NSW and see what happens. You have access to the best water on the planet. no excuse not to due water changes. Don't you have to have a permit to collect from the wild there? While I was on Oahu all of the zoos I saw were in 20' plus. There was nothing near shore.

• 4 months later...

I know this is late to the game, but the tide pools down Hilo side to puna are probably a good bet. I know that's super far, but those are the places I know have decent tide pools, not sure about zoas though. Ask someone where to find lime make and they might know.

You get NSW from laupahoehoe? Personally or do they pump? Yeah you probably need a heater for Big Island. It gets pretty cool sometimes.

Archived