Innovative Marine Aquariums

The mad house

Psychosis

I actually went to this particular LFS with the intent of purchasing a nice little Crocea, but when I got there it seemed they all had pinched mantle. I've never owned a clam, so it could have been my untrained eye, but it looked very apparent on at least half of them. I all most bought a Carpenter Wrasse as well, but again, not until the new set up is complete. I know exactly how you feel Veng, and that was all in one trip.

I imagine owning a hump back would be akin to a 70 ton mandarin...#### that.

Thanks Brawler. It was a good day. Technically it was yesterday, but eh.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to remember about clams, is the small ones (1-2") will have a ~50% mortality rate in the wild. Not saying not to get one, but just don't expect a 100% success rate even if you do everything "right" with it.

Oh I wouldn't dare get a 2" clam. When I say "little crocea," I was thinking along the lines of 3.5-5". Maybe that's considered mid range, but it seems small compared to a fully grown Crocea. I've also been knocking around the idea of getting a Squamosa, something a bit hardier, but I honestly can't I.D a Tridacna as any thing other than a Tridacna at this stage.

I must be thinking of something else. In case I haven't made it abundantly clear, I'm clueless about clams. I never found them entertaining until I finally thought I'd like one about a week ago. Worst case, I'll eat that sum bitch. Thought they hit 12" full size.

Wait, is it Maxima that hit 12"? I know it's one of the two, Squamosa and Derasa get tig ol bittie size.

Sweet. So the several Maxima* clams I was looking at seemed to have PM. I learned more about the diesease and general care than the clams themselves, maybe I should reverse that order in future researching endeavors.

Oh, and I've been misspelling it. Tridacnid, not Tridacna. My ego remains intact.

Oh dude, it's killer. I have 7.5 sq ft to play with in this b. My only regret is not making it just a hair taller (16" or so.)

No real updates. I'm having trouble getting the 20x20x10 I'm using as a refugium off of its current stand, I think the bulk heads where glued down with something crazy. I also found a 24x24x10 frag tank for $35 I'm considering grabbing as a replacement, so progress on the stand has ground to a halt until I decide what to do. It's in the works though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hahaha!! I finally got those damned bulkheads to let loose. Oh, we're getting places...yes sir...

20130409_235753_zpsbe4e85d6.jpg

Just picture the small tank to the right with a sincle, large piece of LR dead center. On top of this piece of LR, I'll have my two trusty red mangroves growing staight up. Around that, das macrohimenstuckah (macro's.) Oh yea, this B is on the road. Next stop, sump land! Some where in between, I'll consider finishing the stand. You know, if the moon and Venus are in appropriate alignment.

Edited to add: That's not the tanks final location. My "work space" is a roughly 8' by 8' den. I have a large roll top desk on the right wall that will be switched to the left wall when I drain the 16" cube and add the contents to the big 'un.

Unfortunately, that would lead to some very wet flooring at the moment. It's just around the bend, though. I'm going to work on the stand some more tommorow, and probably work out a sump. Plus that worthless piece of eurobracing sagging across the back could use some attention.

Well, it's doomsday for my current crap tank. A local builder (Custom Aquariums by Kyle) is currently constructing the new build, which should be in the apartment before March 1st.

I'm taking an all new approach to this build. My general MO, as made evident in my previous thread, is that the equipment and over all look of a build is entirely secondary to the contents. I realized recently that the inhabitants appearance can actually be detracted by crap hanging off of, in to, or around the tank. Don't ask why it took me so long, but staring at a broken euro brace for a year finally wore on me.

20130215_155306_zpsd818a848.jpg

Outside of the terrible, terrible picture quality, you can see how my tank looks like a trash can with SW stuff thrown in to it. Looks better in person, sure, but a slightly more attractive turd doesn't inspire confidence. Another thing that's all ways pissed me off, I have 5 acan colonies and 2 plates on the sand next to the duncan, as well as multiple Rhodactis and Discomussa varieties. Wheres Waldo? Behind 3" of wood. ####ER!

So, back to the drawing board. This tank kept me going, which was its only intended function, I just drew it out for about 6 months longer than I was planning. Now, actually putting effort in to it, my first well thought out and clean tank.

Custom4_zps84dcf738.jpg

custom3_zps3ade122d.jpg

I said new clean tank, not clean sketchup. No, those dims. aren't exact. The CL system is fo real though.

Also, Angus. Smartest dog under 40lbs I've ever seen.

20130128_132020_zpsa1463eaa.jpg

To be continued...

DSCN1441_zps86470ec1.jpg

I'm not flippant enough to bib mine, but cool dog bro.

im not either but whatever keeps the my lady from bitching about money spent on tanks lol

And thank you, tanks looking great man

im not either but whatever keeps the my lady from bitching about money spent on tanks lol

And thank you, tanks looking great man

Trust me, I just moved my current tank 4" to the left after draining most of it. I'll trade you for the bib I guess.

Not half bad for an empty box on a half built stand, any way.

Trust me, I just moved my current tank 4" to the left after draining most of it. I'll trade you for the bib I guess.

Not half bad for an empty box on a half built stand, any way.

haha

Its "under construction" and still looks good coming along

I'm in an apartment, relegated to a 24" Crosscut saw. I just made a cut to ply the back of my stand, and that shit took me all most an hour. Waiting on some power tool time for legit construction.

He is waiting on your framing skills to help finish it.

I could whip one out in a couple hours. ive been know to fire up some saws in the garage around 12-1 am.lol

I'm in an apartment, relegated to a 24" Crosscut saw...

some saws in the garage around 12-1 am.lol

"One of these things is not like the other..."

I'm in an apartment, relegated to a 24" Crosscut saw. I just made a cut to ply the back of my stand, and that shit took me all most an hour. Waiting on some power tool time for legit construction.

I used to live in a trailer. its kind of like an apartment. you could hear everything going on next door. all projects had to be done outside or on the kitchen table.

"One of these things is not like the other..."

lol

Archived