inTank Media Baskets

The mad house

Psychosis

Sorry, no notable updates at this exact moment. I'm still trying to decide on how best to construct the stand with both a platform for a refugium on one side, and a work station/power station/ reef angel holster on the other.

100% Angus is doing great. Char broiled, really.

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All right, so I think I've run in to a few design complications I'd like to run across any one fool enough to wander in to this desolate thread.

1) The top of my stand is not very level.

20130321_202806_zps211bcc4a.jpg

2) I may not have enough drain for my CL. I have the 1.5" with a strainer, but I was really looking to get around 2500-3000 gph through the system. That one drain will probably handle 1500 with out any cavitation issues. It looks huge on the back of my tank as is, I really hand't thought I'd need more. I might have to drill it out to accept a 2".

3)I can't seem to decide on a sump. I want as large as possible, with the understanding that it will be a true sump (refugium will be handled by the 20x20x10.) I'm also having trouble deciding how to move water in to the refugium. It only has a 3/4" drain, so I can't just run one of the main drain lines to it. I could T off of the return, but then I'd need something larger than a Rio 1700.

I just wanted to bitch. Racking my brain on these issues lately.

FishBrawler

All right, so I think I've run in to a few design complications I'd like to run across any one fool enough to wander in to this desolate thread.

1) The top of my stand is not very level.

20130321_202806_zps211bcc4a.jpg

2) I may not have enough drain for my CL. I have the 1.5" with a strainer, but I was really looking to get around 2500-3000 gph through the system. That one drain will probably handle 1500 with out any cavitation issues. It looks huge on the back of my tank as is, I really hand't thought I'd need more. I might have to drill it out to accept a 2".

3)I can't seem to decide on a sump. I want as large as possible, with the understanding that it will be a true sump (refugium will be handled by the 20x20x10.) I'm also having trouble deciding how to move water in to the refugium. It only has a 3/4" drain, so I can't just run one of the main drain lines to it. I could T off of the return, but then I'd need something larger than a Rio 1700.

I just wanted to bitch. Racking my brain on these issues lately.

Tough choices!

First, I'd put leveling feet on it and possibly a mat to combat the the whole level issue. Secondly, as for the flow, have you thought about using ventri pipes or using a power head? As for the refugium have you thought, if space is an issue, of building a little platform for the refugium to go on abovr the sump and then having a pump pump it up there and drill a hole in the side would allow for the water to flow back into the sump from the refugium? I can draw a picture if you don't get the ideas I'm trying to project. :)

I hear ya Brawler. The refugium is going to be displayed separately on an add on to the stand, I have a sketch up on the first page about it. It will sit so that the lip of the tank sits level to the bottom of the main display, and its stand will house my ATO reservoir. The problem I'm having us how best to get water in to this display refugium (it will drain in to the return of the main sump.) So far as powerheads, I'm doing my best to avoid them with this closed loop. With the announcement of the new externally controllable waveline 12000 return, I have renewed confidence it's possible. I'm going to try to shim the top piece if plywood, since that's what is out of line (the base is perfectly square). The gap pictured us unfortunately too severe to simply use foam. Thanks for the feedback though, the wheels can all ways use a spin.

FishBrawler

I hear ya Brawler. The refugium is going to be displayed separately on an add on to the stand, I have a sketch up on the first page about it. It will sit so that the lip of the tank sits level to the bottom of the main display, and its stand will house my ATO reservoir. The problem I'm having us how best to get water in to this display refugium (it will drain in to the return of the main sump.) So far as powerheads, I'm doing my best to avoid them with this closed loop. With the announcement of the new externally controllable waveline 12000 return, I have renewed confidence it's possible. I'm going to try to shim the top piece if plywood, since that's what is out of line (the base is perfectly square). The gap pictured us unfortunately too severe to simply use foam. Thanks for the feedback though, the wheels can all ways use a spin.

How about the same concept though? Have the display drain to the refugium and refugium to sump. You can control water flow in the refugium, BUT with the venturi, you can use that to help add flow without adding to the drain so the refugium would have less flow. Venturis can also be controlled with the ball or gate valve to help get a desired amount of flow. Have you thought of the ocean motion thing for your closed loop?

Probably not the best Photo-op of me, but eh. I'm 6', 180 or 190 depending on how I eat that week. I make up for it with a winning attitude and a huge...ego.

I could all ways use more soft headed groupies. That huge ego needs a boost every now and then, especially since I've done nothing to earn it.

That is to say, hey thanks pat.

Those are sweet dimensions. I went all out for the foot print with mine, I just wish it was 16" tall some times.

So, per your signature, how would you stock this tank? I've been bounceing ideas around, everything from a Filamented Flasher Wrasse harem to a Tomini tang. Then I thought I'd keep it all 3" or less.

20130326_220623_zps2b307518.jpg

Psychosis,

You can get a self-leveling epoxy resin to take care of the gap issue. Just form around the sides of your stand with strips of wood. Before attaching the wood strips wipe them down with turtle wax or lay down some duct tape over them as a bond breaker. Then mix and pour the resin to desired depth. Let it cure and pull away the forms.

You'll have a clear, level, waterproof top. Different brands let you pour to different depths. I'd look for one that you can go deeper with so you can be done in one application.

One brand is "Bar-Cote" I think...check the spelling. Cheap at $15 bucks. Sold at Depot, Lowes, and the like.

Psychosis, You can get a self-leveling epoxy resin to take care of the gap issue. Just form around the sides of your stand with strips of wood. Before attaching the wood strips wipe them down with turtle wax or lay down some duct tape over them as a bond breaker. Then mix and pour the resin to desired depth. Let it cure and pull away the forms. You'll have a clear, level, waterproof top. Different brands let you pour to different depths. I'd look for one that you can go deeper with so you can be done in one application. One brand is "Bar-Cote" I think...check the spelling. Cheap at $15 bucks. Sold at Depot, Lowes, and the like.

Awh damn it jack. I just spent an hour installing composite shims. Your idea would have been waaay better. I hadn't even considered it for some reason.

20130326_224009_zps20d03400.jpg

That works too! I actually planned on coating my stand with the stuff just for a water barrier. Got ahead of myself and ....... well, I have a box of the stuff just sitting around. Oh well, next time.

Oh I'm not actually going to get a tang, it was just under consideration. I'd even considered some of the thin body "dwarf" Anthias, I can't remember any of the species names. I worry the tank may be too restrictive for a trio of Flasher wrasse, given how active they are. I'm kind of all over the map, so any stocking list you'd consider would help the cog turn.

That's actually a great idea jack, I just might steal it.

Birthday coral.

20130327_195624_zps16594fe9.jpg

Nothing too special, but I'm happy. The frogspawn is actually about 6" behind the torch, for frame of reference.

The only thing in range is a tiny frag of Dragon Soul favia that has kind of just...existed, for the last year. I've all ways wanted a torch, and staring at frog spawn for the last 6 years finally prompted me to buy one. This one individual head of spawn is huge...it has a mouth the size of my 6" Fungia.

Speaking of, they had a beautiful (to me) 7.5" plate for $50 I was going to snag, but in the current Nano it would have taken a complete rescape to even consider placing it properly :(. I can't wait to get this new tank functional.

Their have been quite a few specimens of both corals, clams, and fish, that I would have gladly payed the asking price (or more) but would have never fit into my tank. However, I think this is true no matter how big of a tank you have. Let's face it, that hump back whale would look amazing in your 400,000 gallon if only you had a 4,000,000 gallon tank.

Archived