Innovative Marine Aquariums

Biocube 14 build.(and so it begins)New pics 2/10/2014 pg9

DVaDeR77

Finished setting up my new tank last nite. Got about 20-23 lbs of dry rock from reef cleaners, inTank media rack hydor 425, mj 900 return. Got a little over a half lbs of LR rubble that has some purple and red alge on it hoping that will start the cycle. Salinity is 1.024, temp holding at 80.04 lights on 80.02 lights of moon light only( I keep my house at 73 ). PH is 8.0, ammonia is .25 to .50, nitrite is 0 and nitrate is 0. Here is a pic.

Feb. 11, 2013

20130210_165631_zpsc28772d5.jpg

April 12, 2013

20130412_192551_zpsc66b4cdf.jpg

July 11, 2013

IMAG0225_zps001da92e.jpg

Dec. 5,2013

20131205_132904_zps2defdec9.jpg

Feb. 10, 201420140210_195753_zpsidsgrk6g.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice. Sounds like you've done some research and made some nice upgrades.

I didn't read that you got a heater. I'd get one if you don't have one, and set it at 80 to 81 degrees (for stability).

It's probably good that that little piece of live rock is putting out so much ammonia. It will help the bacteria colonize the dry rock. Give everything extra time since there is so much dry rock.

Once ammonia becomes undetectable, give it two more weeks before adding a cleanup crew. Wait another couple of weeks before adding a fish, and wait another couple of weeks before adding anything else.

Eventually the dry rock will become fully live and will support as heavy of a bio load as regular live rock.

• Like 1

Looks nice.Nice upgrades.

I bet with an ammonia result of 25 you have an api test kit.

+1 on the heater suggestion.Check your water temp in the middle of the night when your lights have been off for hours.

I suggest adding a raw cocktail shrimp wrapped in filter floss in order to get some good ammonia and bacteria going.

KristinNoelle87

Nice, I will be setting up the exact same tank later this week. I'm also using dry rock and seeding it with a live rock. (Still waiting for the rock to arrive in the mail). Nice aquascaping, it looks good!

Thanks for the replies, yes I have a heater in chamber 1 jager 75 watt. So you think I should still add a piece of shrimp. My temp this morning is 79.02 and yes its an a pi test kit.

I would not add a dead shrimp to your display. You can check your ammonia test against RO water to see if it is indeed giving you an elevated reading.

I'm not sure that you need one; however if you want to add an ammonia source to help make the dry rock live, I'd remove it to a separate container and use ammonium chloride (like Dr Tim's) and a bacteria product (like Stability). It is a cleaner and more controllable ammonia source than rotting shrimp in your display. Add a power head for flow (to aerate the water).

I said use a separate container so you don't unnecessarily expose the live rock to ammonia. However, you could use ammonium chloride in your display if you really wanted to. A bacteria product can also be added directly to your display. Out of the two, I'd add bacteria over the ammonia (simply for the life that might be on the live rock).

Personally, I would probably just give it time and let nature take its course. The more time you take, the more opportunity life will have to inhabit the dry rock.

KristinNoelle87

I would not add a dead shrimp to your display. You can check your ammonia test against RO water to see if it is indeed giving you an elevated reading.

I'm not sure that you need one; however if you want to add an ammonia source to help make the dry rock live, I'd remove it to a separate container and use ammonium chloride (like Dr Tim's) and a bacteria product (like Stability). It is a cleaner and more controllable ammonia source than rotting shrimp in your display. Add a power head for flow (to aerate the water).

I said use a separate container so you don't unnecessarily expose the live rock to ammonia. However, you could use ammonium chloride in your display if you really wanted to. A bacteria product can also be added directly to your display. Out of the two, I'd add bacteria over the ammonia (simply for the life that might be on the live rock).

Personally, I would probably just give it time and let nature take its course. The more time you take, the more opportunity life will have to inhabit the dry rock.

Hi, just had a quick question. I pretty much am setting up the same tank set up as DVaDeR77. I am also doing the dry rock seeded with a live rock. How long do you expect it would take for the cry rock to become live?

Hey now no hijacking (hahaha just kidding) I was thinking the same thing read somewhere else it all depends on a number of factors size of tank lbs of rock, but should not impact when to add live stock just do it slowly and give it time. I won't add anything till the end of the month and only if my test are dead on then it will only be a CUC, some snails and some crabs, I like crabs think they are cool.

Hi, just had a quick question. I pretty much am setting up the same tank set up as DVaDeR77. I am also doing the dry rock seeded with a live rock. How long do you expect it would take for the cry rock to become live?

Well, that's hard to say because we are not measuring bacteria populations, just ammonia. Bacteria populations will stabilize based on the bioload (ammonia source). With a small bioload, the bacteria population will be relatively small and it will support only small increases before ammonia levels start to rise.

The bioload has to be increased very slowly in these type of setups. After a few weeks on no ammonia, you could add a small cleanup crew. After a couple more weeks, maybe a small fish.

The more live rock you use, the larger the initial bioload your tank will be able to handle. A few years ago it was common to use a 1:1 ratio of dry rock to live rock; but today, more people are using a larger percentage of dry rock (which is fine, but it just takes longer).

• Like 1
KristinNoelle87

Well, that's hard to say because we are not measuring bacteria populations, just ammonia. Bacteria populations will stabilize based on the bioload (ammonia source). With a small bioload, the bacteria population will be relatively small and it will support only small increases before ammonia levels start to rise.

The bioload has to be increased very slowly in these type of setups. After a few weeks on no ammonia, you could add a small cleanup crew. After a couple more weeks, maybe a small fish.

The more live rock you use, the larger the initial bioload your tank will be able to handle. A few years ago it was common to use a 1:1 ratio of dry rock to live rock; but today, more people are using a larger percentage of dry rock (which is fine, but it just takes longer).

I understand that...I know I won't be adding any fish for months. I didn't know if there was any definitive way to tell when the rock became live. After how many weeks of no ammonia would you add the CAC?

Also, would you suggest for people who use dry rock to add the bottled bacteria along with the live rock to supplement?

There is no definitive time line that I'm aware of. You'll see it start to color up (which is an indicator). It might get some diatoms on it and then micro algae will probably give it some more color.

Obviously a cleanup crew should have something to feed on. This color will help you determine when you can some snails. You could even add a small hardy fish before your cleanup crew if there doesn't appear to be anything for a cuc to eat.

After how many weeks of no ammonia would you add the CAC?

I would wait at least two weeks after ammonia becomes undetectable before adding anything.

Since some people are now using 100% dry rock, it is becoming more trendy to use ammonium chloride and bottled bacteria to prep the dry rock before you use it. This way it will support a larger initial bioload.

I have traditionally been against bottled bacteria, because the bacteria will adjust and stabilize based on the existing load. However, I'm starting to come around in certain scenarios. One is when you are prepping dry rock.

Also, would you suggest for people who use dry rock to add the bottled bacteria along with the live rock to supplement?

Without livestock, I would say it is safe to use bottled bacteria to help get things going.

KristinNoelle87

There is no definitive time line that I'm aware of. You'll see it start to color up (which is an indicator). It might get some diatoms on it and then micro algae will probably give it some more color.

Obviously a cleanup crew should have something to feed on. This color will help you determine when you can some snails. You could even add a small hardy fish before your cleanup crew if there doesn't appear to be anything for a cuc to eat.

I would wait at least two weeks after ammonia becomes undetectable before adding anything.

Since some people are now using 100% dry rock, it is becoming more trendy to use ammonium chloride and bottled bacteria to prep the dry rock before you use it. This way it will support a larger initial bioload.

I have traditionally been against bottled bacteria, because the bacteria will adjust and stabilize based on the existing load. However, I'm starting to come around in certain scenarios. One is when you are prepping dry rock.

Without livestock, I would say it is safe to use bottled bacteria to help get things going.

Thanks for your response. I did not know about prepping dry rock with ammonium chloride. Is that mandatory?

Nope, not needed. It's used so that the rock has established bacteria populations to support more livestock up front. However, if you seed the dry rock with a piece of live rock, and add things slow enough, you should be fine.

• Like 1

OK so my temp at 5 was 81.07, pH 8.2, ammonia .25, nitrite 0 and nitrate 0. Are these normal readings. Salinity is still 1.024.

Here is a pic of my test.

20130211_173157_zps4b96a78a.jpg

Yep, everything looks good. Do an ammonia test against plain RO/DI water and see if you still get an elevated reading. Some people have been complaining that their API ammonia tests are reading high.

Chris, if you want to come by and bring a small container, I can give you some ammonium chloride. There's no way I'll ever use all of this. In fact, I'm pretty much done cycling.

I'm one of those that prefer to drop in a bottle of nitrifying bacteria, and dose up with ammonia. I had significant nitrates by day 3.

I'll have to check my RO tomorrow since its at work didn't bring any home. I might have to take you up on that offer just got to find the time I only work in manassa live in dale city. The only way would be during the day. Might also stop by the cozy clown and get some sand from one of there tanks might even grab a piece of rubble.

Getting some ammonia from wangspeed Friday morning thinking about adding in some bio spira this evening as well. My temps held steady all night at 81.5 , I'm still at work so not sure what my temp is till I get home it peeked at 82 yesterday evenings with lights on. I'll check my water when I get home to see if there was any change before adding the bio spira.

Things really took off today recent test today at 5:00 and new tank shot. I think the rock has a little discoloration or is it just me.

20130213_171707_zpsde3edd18.jpg

20130213_172544_zpsfe324cc8.jpg

Archived