Pod Your Reef

Help with algae. Pictures inside :)

polyps222

Raise ~100 per day and I prefer to split the dose up several times / day. Use this calculator.

http://reef.diesyst.com/flashcalc/flashcalc.html

I am using Tech M for a Bryopsis battle Right now as well. I tried peroxide and while it did kill it off for a while, it came back after just 1 month. I used Brightwell Magnesium and kept my level at 1900 for 3 weeks and it worked, for more than 6 months I was Bryopsis free. While doing my water change last Saturday I Realized that it was coming back. I purchased the Tech M and over the last 6 days I have raised my level to 1900. I will hold this level for Atleast 5 weeks . This is a Battle I have been fighting for well over a year and a half.

The tank I am treating is a 34 gallon tank. What I have learned for my tank is that 50 ml of Tech M which is about 2 Measured Tablespoons will raise my mag level 100.

I would do a mag Test and get your base line reading. For an 8 gallon tank which is prolly only 6 gallons of water I would dose 25 ml of Tech M. I would wait about an hour and then test again and see how much the 25 ml raises it. Then you can determine how much you will have to dose daily to raise it 100 a day to get to 1900. I have a notebook that I record all of my dosing in,kinda like a fish Diary. Lol.

I am not sure what test kit you are using? I am using the Elos kit. The Sailfert kit only went to like 1500 and while you can refill the syringe and keep going I wasn't sure of how accurate that would be.

As stated above, it does take a lot of Tech M to do this treatment. I hope this helps. I have subscribed to this thread, so if you have any other questions just ask!

Good luck. Shane

Edit, use the Calculator in the above post!!

Thank you guys a lot for your help. I will test my magnesium levels tomorrow and start treating my tank. I will update the thread in a month or so to see if my tank improves. :D

I feel I am a pretty Meticulous Reefer. I am Devoted to the Husbandry of my tank. I, however, did allow this algae into my system. I always dip and inspect any and all corals before they go into my tank. My tank was started with Dry Rock and Sand ,so I know It was my Fault. I missed a strand of Bryopsis somewhere on a frag. I tried a method of crabs and snails.Snails didn't touch it and the Emeralds did enjoy eating it, Untill they realized that Zoanthids taste better!

My next step was the Peroxide method. I had to do the Full tank treatment because the Bryopsis had spread to the live rock and the sand substrate. The Bryopsis began to grow on the Back Wall of the Solana. This treatment worked for me, But, after about a month the Bryopsis began to grow again. There is not much literature about The extended use of Peroxide which mad me nervous.

My next step was elevated Mag levels. I had the Brightwell on hand so that was what I chose to use. I elevated it for 3 weeks and it had appeared that the Bryopsis had all been destroyed. I felt I had finally won the Battle. 6 months had past with out a sign.

Saturday Morning while doing my normal Maintenance I realized I had won the battle, but not the war. I will now do an elevated Mag treatment and will hold this for 5 weeks. I am Using the Tech M after hearing that it might not be the Mag but the Binding agent that is what destroys the Algae.

I know everyone said use Tech M, however, no one ever elaborated on the steps that it takes to be successful. I can only share my experiences and the process that I am using and hopefully share my Success story!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I have been adding the magnesium for the past 4 days. I tested the magnesium levels and it is at about 1850. What should I do now. Not add magnesium for a couple of days and test it again?

Thanks

My local reef club seems to think that gradual dosing leads to resistant bryopsis, and uses a shock method instead.

Both scare me, but the gradual method sure didn't work for mine. I raised 100ppm every other day to 1850, and while the bryopsis started to die off at about 1700, it came back and flourished, through several weeks at that level. My tank is a jungle right now.

I'm pretty disheartened, to be honest. My zoos are engulfed, my clam is engulfed, my duncans are buried, my trumpets are starting to get overwhelmed, as are the birdsnests. The mushroom and monti cap are the only corals holding their own. I haven't seen my dracula goby/pistol pair in well over a month after they had been coming out at every feeding time for weeks. Most of my CUC looks like mobile forests, especially the fuzzy chiton. The only truly happy occupant is my lettuce slug which continually looks plump and overfed.

:(

Yeah, you'll want to keep it at around that level for a few weeks. So if you do a water change during this time, you'll have to boost the magnesium level.

I was boosting my WC water before adding to ensure the levels didn't drop, the only explanation I can figure for the failure was the gradual increase. I'm going to shock the tank this week.

I'm using Salifert and although you can refill the syringe and keep going I question it's accuracy over 1500.

Use as your sample 50% DI water and 50% aquarium sample and then double your results.

My local reef club seems to think that gradual dosing leads to resistant bryopsis, and uses a shock method instead.

Both scare me, but the gradual method sure didn't work for mine. I raised 100ppm every other day to 1850, and while the bryopsis started to die off at about 1700, it came back and flourished, through several weeks at that level. My tank is a jungle right now.

I'm pretty disheartened, to be honest. My zoos are engulfed, my clam is engulfed, my duncans are buried, my trumpets are starting to get overwhelmed, as are the birdsnests. The mushroom and monti cap are the only corals holding their own. I haven't seen my dracula goby/pistol pair in well over a month after they had been coming out at every feeding time for weeks. Most of my CUC looks like mobile forests, especially the fuzzy chiton. The only truly happy occupant is my lettuce slug which continually looks plump and overfed.

:(

I kept mine high for weeks and it kept bryopsis in check but it wasn't until I dropped it for 2 weeks and jacked it back up before it completely died off. I'm not saying it won't come back in my tank though. ;) Do you help out with manual removal? Get out your tweezers and tooth brush at least once a week.

Use as your sample 50% DI water and 50% aquarium sample and then double your results.

You might be able to make a more accurate sample by mixing a cup of tank and a cup of DI (and taking your sample from that); instead of trying to accurately measure half the sample bottle.

Ok it's been like 2 weeks since I boosted my magnesium and the bryopsis seems to be dying off I have a lot less now but my sps are turning white. What should I do? I was think of doing a huge water change but I don't know I don't want them to die

Magnesium is currently at around 1800

shaneandjohn

I feel you . I am at about the same time frame as you are. I am still doing weekly water changes with matched Mag Levels at 1950. I raised mine 100 daily and am now thinking I should have done the shock treatment. While it is turning white in some areas, there is New growth in others. If you are having good die off, I would do water changes to make sure the die off doesn't foul out your water. I only have a few SPS, and I have seen no ill effects from my elevated Mag levels. Maybe the dying Bryopsis is polluting your water? Idk, just a thought!

shaneandjohn
Beat bryopsis with Mg levels around 2600 with no ill effects. :)

Can you elaborate a little bit? How fast did you elevate your levels? How long did you hold them? How did you decrease them?

What do you have for livestock? What size tank? This is all helpful information for us who are trying to beat it ourselves :)

I raised mine 100 daily and am now thinking I should have done the shock treatment.

I've read that a couple of different times. Out of curiosity, how quickly are people raising levels; all at once, 200ppm per day, or what?

Beat bryopsis with Mg levels around 2600 with no ill effects. :)

Besides your other livestock, did you have any other algae in the tank before treatment (micro algae on the glass, hair algae, decorative macros, Chaeto)? I'm interested in how other types of algae respond to extreme elevated levels.

I read through this and didn't see anything about elevated salt levels caused by dosing a bunch of mg, maybe I missed it. Just keep an eye on your salinity. I beat bryopsis about a year ago with tech m, mg level at 2000 (raised over the course of a day) for about 2 months, along with weekly manual removal. Had to remove tank water and replace with fw almost daily to keep the salinity in check.

Can you elaborate a little bit? How fast did you elevate your levels? How long did you hold them? How did you decrease them? What do you have for livestock? What size tank? This is all helpful information for us who are trying to beat it ourselves :)

Filled up a 3 ML syringe and applied it locally to the bryopsis. I went pretty liberally through the Kent M tech bottles. Just shut off all the flow and blast them with the M tech. You can put the pumps back on right after application.

33 gallon system with about 4-6 passive fish (clowns firefish chromis etc.) I had no sps. I had only lps, two clams, and zoas. Like I said I had no ill effects and raised about 100ml per day. Kept it at 2600 for about 6 - 8 weeks. Local application is key, no braodcast dosing.

shaneandjohn

Filled up a 3 ML syringe and applied it locally to the bryopsis. I went pretty liberally through the Kent M tech bottles. Just shut off all the flow and blast them with the M tech. You can put the pumps back on right after application.

33 gallon system with about 4-6 passive fish (clowns firefish chromis etc.) I had no sps. I had only lps, two clams, and zoas. Like I said I had no ill effects and raised about 100ml per day. Kept it at 2600 for about 6 - 8 weeks. Local application is key, no braodcast dosing.

Thank you!! There are so many ways of doing things in this hobby. What works for some often doesn't work for others. I am very appreciative of quick response. :)

i been using hydrogen peroxide however a little has been coming back

I've been doing the same thing on frags that come in with bryopsis. I take about 50% tank water and 50% hydrogen peroxide (the 3% solution) and sit the frags in the water for about 2 minutes. I shake it around in the water as well as try to remove as much as I can with tweezers. Then I put them back in the tank. If you get bubbles on your frag forming that means it's working. I would not try this with SPS or sensitive LPS. I've successfully done this on zoas, palys, and acans. Bryopsis usually goes away after 1 or 2 treatments.

• 2 weeks later...
Well here's an update. The bryopsis came back and all my montis are dead..... I dont know what to do anymore

Are you pulling out all the bryopsis you can get to?

Archived