SaltCritters.com

Neowind's 4 Gallon Pico Evolve

neowind712

Wow, that's some awesome growth on the frogspawn. Do you dose or feed anything? Really great tank.

I feed the tank baby brine shrimp and cyclopeez about twice a month. I do not dose any though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
mad.scientist.2012

I have a question for you. Your tank is FANTASTIC, and this thread has been extremely helpful to me, so I'm going to pick your brain a bit. I've done saltwater before, but definitely focused more on the livestock than on corals, though I did have a few low maintenance corals. I now want to set up a pico like yours...largely corals, maybe a shrimp for interest. I currently have an Evolve 8 set up as a planted freshwater (seriously love these little tanks!), and I have an unopened Evolve 4 that I just picked up and was going to use for the pico. In your personal opinion, for a pico reef, should I use the evo 4, or should I go exchange it for another 8? I LOVE yours, and I just want to make sure I have enough room for stuff to grow, as I don't currently have a larger SW tank set up that I could move things that have outgrown it to. Also, thanks for the suggestions about upgrades. I will definitely be getting the beamworks light you have....looks fantastic. I'll have to check out the filter issues as well. Great thread....definitely keep us posted on yours!

On a side note, I'm from Knoxville as well, so it's cracking me up to see you guys talking about Aquarium. I used to get all my FW stuff there ;) I'm in Houston now and we have a similar store but they tend to be better at SW than FW.

I have a question for you. Your tank is FANTASTIC, and this thread has been extremely helpful to me, so I'm going to pick your brain a bit. I've done saltwater before, but definitely focused more on the livestock than on corals, though I did have a few low maintenance corals. I now want to set up a pico like yours...largely corals, maybe a shrimp for interest. I currently have an Evolve 8 set up as a planted freshwater (seriously love these little tanks!), and I have an unopened Evolve 4 that I just picked up and was going to use for the pico. In your personal opinion, for a pico reef, should I use the evo 4, or should I go exchange it for another 8? I LOVE yours, and I just want to make sure I have enough room for stuff to grow, as I don't currently have a larger SW tank set up that I could move things that have outgrown it to. Also, thanks for the suggestions about upgrades. I will definitely be getting the beamworks light you have....looks fantastic. I'll have to check out the filter issues as well. Great thread....definitely keep us posted on yours!

On a side note, I'm from Knoxville as well, so it's cracking me up to see you guys talking about Aquarium. I used to get all my FW stuff there ;) I'm in Houston now and we have a similar store but they tend to be better at SW than FW.

Honestly it comes down to how much room do you have. If you have room for the 8 I would go for it as it will be easier and more room. If you do not have much room then go with the 4. The hardest thing about the 4 gallon is evaporation and space. The 8 gallon would be easier on both those levels. I love the Evolve tanks and I love PICO because it is so much easier to do water changes. I wish you all the luck. Make sure and get a good light it makes or breaks the tank. I highly recommend the Beamswork that I have. Also make sure and get some ChemiPure Elite and a Phosphate bag and put in the first chamber it will help a ton.

So I had an accident in the tank a few nights ago. I was trying to move my red/blue brain to a different spot because people keep saying that the skeleton is showing and when I was trying to move it I had a crash of my rock scape. Corals went flying and the rocks came tumbling down. Not a good night. The bad thing about it is that my tank looked the best I think it had when this happened. I was unable to get the rock scape back in the right order without hurting my goby and shrimp so I had to compromise. How bad do you think it turned out?????

newfront.JPG

newside.JPG

mad.scientist.2012

What is your perspective on the beamswork you have (9x1w) vs the other one they have that is 6x3w? Is the higher wattage even NECESSARY? I've read some complaints from people that the 6x3w produces a blue line in the middle because the blues aren't spread out, so I am leaning towards the one you have, but I was just wondering about whether the higher wattage of the 6x3w would make it worth having?

I think the 3 watt LED will cause heat issues in the tank. People who have used the 6x3 on picos have complained. I am getting great growth out of the 9x1 even in my sps.

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't had an update in a while so here it goes. The new brain coral I had did not like swapping over to LED from the old VHO that the LFS had. It also got into a fight with some mushrooms in my tank. It seems to be recovering, but is not extending its feeders at night so not sure if it will pull through or not. My pistol shrimp has also disappeared for about a week now. Not sure if he is just hiding or what but I have not seen him. Everything else is doing great. My montipora is growing extremely fast which makes me happy. Here is a updated shot. Tank is about 6 months old now.

rightsidesmall.JPG

• 2 months later...

Its been forever since I have posted an update. I will try and get some new pictures as soon as I can. Tank is still doing great. Getting good growth out of most of the corals.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Happy one year anniversary to the aquarium!!!! Its been a long time since I have posted an update. Things are going great still for the aquarium. My candy cane has went from 3 heads to 7. My monti has doubled in size. So has my brain coral. I have added another Purple Monti with blue extensions. Hope you enjoy the update.

fulltank.JPG

monti1.JPG

monti2.JPG

I am having issues with my ricordea though. It seems to be shrinking away. I am going to try and move it and see what happens when I can.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...

The tank is still around, but I no longer own it. I moved and sold the entire setup to a friend. I am hoping to setup a new one soon, but haven't got it off the ground yet.

Archived