ReefCleaners.org

Neowind's 4 Gallon Pico Evolve

neowind712

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank looks great. I think I actually know you Neowind. I'm pretty sure you came to my house and got frags before. I used to have a Tacoma with chameleon flames on it.

Tank looks great. I think I actually know you Neowind. I'm pretty sure you came to my house and got frags before. I used to have a Tacoma with chameleon flames on it.

Yea man that's me. Small world WOW. You still running your reef?

Thats awesome. I am down to 4 gallons man :) But I love the little tank. I plan on doing a bigger tank in a few years. Send me a PM or something if you ever have frags or small pieces you want to sell.

Oh that's cool haha. What store? My friend has been taking me to coral reef and aquatic marine. I used to go to aquarium for my freshwater stuff, but i've heard they aren't so hot for saltwater.

Shaddow you are at the right places. I made a two hour drive there a few days ago just to pickup a few things.

lnglostsurfer

Did you ever end up upgrading the pump on this? I was looking at the Hydor pico evolution pump, the 400 I believe. Has 110gph and is adjustable. Just wanted to see what you upgraded to and what difference if any that it made. I know there's not a lot of room back there for different options...

So I am still having a few issues with diatoms. Hopefully this will go away soon. I do not get much suction out of my overflow/built-in-skimmer (not sure what it is called). And my rock had quite a bit of stuff come off of it once the tank cycled and I am having a hard time getting it out of my tank. I am hoping that is the cause for the diatoms. But here is an updated picture as I have moved some things around. All coral seem to be doing good. I am really interested in seeing if Evolve users are using the stock filter media that came with the tank or have put something else in the filter area. I just feel like I am not getting much out of the stock filter. I would like to use something different in its place. Anyone tried anything else?

pic34small.JPG

lnglostsurfer

I'm in the process of switching my filter over. Going to run a bag of chemipure elite and already have a bag of purigen. Ditching the stock carbon filter and using a sheet of the blue filter foam stuff. Might try making a media rack in the first chamber, but the way the flow is I'm not sure if it will work very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Does that light have a moonlight setting?

Yes it does have a moonlight or all blue setting.

So I have some awesome news today. I bought a very small Yellow Watchmen Goby a few days ago and went to my LFS and they had a Pistol Shrimp so I picked it up in hopes that one day they might pair up. I put the pistol shrimp in the tank and 30 seconds later the Watchmen and the Pistol Shrimp had paired and have not left each other since. The pistol has spent all day rearranging my sand with tons of tunnels. I am going to try and get a good picture of them together. Here is a bad picture but shows them together. I got an awesome video of them making their first tunnel, but not sure where I can host it yet.

shrimpgoby.jpg

xxShaddowxx

Yes it does have a moonlight or all blue setting.

So I have some awesome news today. I bought a very small Yellow Watchmen Goby a few days ago and went to my LFS and they had a Pistol Shrimp so I picked it up in hopes that one day they might pair up. I put the pistol shrimp in the tank and 30 seconds later the Watchmen and the Pistol Shrimp had paired and have not left each other since. The pistol has spent all day rearranging my sand with tons of tunnels. I am going to try and get a good picture of them together. Here is a bad picture but shows them together. I got an awesome video of them making their first tunnel, but not sure where I can host it yet.

shrimpgoby.jpg

Jealous.... Majorly insanely jealous.....

I haven't had an update in a bit so I figured I would post the rearranging my pistol has done with my sand. He has piled almost all the back sand up front. I could not believe how much sand he moved over night was crazy. Everyday he just moves the sand somewhere else. Kinda helps keep my sand nice and clean though. My corals have really started acclimating to the LED lighting and opening big now. Here is a shot of the sand and corals. Oh yea I took the stock filter out and installed some Purigen and ChemiPure Elite with some filter floss. WOW what a difference in water clearness it made in 1 day. Can't believe I waited so long to change it.

coral.JPGsand.JPG

watchman.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

SOOOOO I still haven't became brave enough to drill my chamber 1 yet. But I am still trying to get up the guts. I did however pickup a super awesome brain coral yesterday that was very tiny. I got an awesome shot of it also this morning when the lights turned on. I also picked up a blue/purple mushroom and did some rearranging.

brain.JPG

fulltankfront.JPG

shrimp.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Looking good man! I have the same tank and I ordered the Beamswork but I wasn't sure about it, but looking at yours put my mind to rest.

So do you have 2 gobies in here? How are they doing I have a green clown goby and was thinking of putting a neon in maybe but not sure about it.

neowind712

No the first clown goby I had jumped out after 2 days or so. The watchman goby I got when spooked dives into the caves the pistol shrimp builds instead of jumping. As for the beamsworks I love mine. Haven't seen a light I like better. The evo is an awesome tank. First thing you need to do is remove the stick filter and put some purigen and chemical pure elite in with some filter floss. Made a huge difference in my tank.

lnglostsurfer

Just a heads up the flesh on that open brain looks pretty thin. You can kind of see the skeleton, is that how it was when you got it? I would be sure to feed it pretty regular to try and get it back to normal. It was definitely one of my favorite corals whenever I had one in my 55 gallon. Shouldn't take long for it to rebound though, especially looking at the feeders on that thing, looks hungry!

I like the beamswork on mine too. Not too sure about filter floss in chamber 1, whenever i change it out all the junk goes back into the display. I'm thinking about putting a HOB filter on the back of chamber one.

Looking good man! I have the same tank and I ordered the Beamswork but I wasn't sure about it, but looking at yours put my mind to rest.

So do you have 2 gobies in here? How are they doing I have a green clown goby and was thinking of putting a neon in maybe but not sure about it.

Where did you purchase your beamswork from? I've been waiting for Aquatraders to get them back in but when I checked the website, it was down.

neowind712
Just a heads up the flesh on that open brain looks pretty thin. You can kind of see the skeleton, is that how it was when you got it? I would be sure to feed it pretty regular to try and get it back to normal. It was definitely one of my favorite corals whenever I had one in my 55 gallon. Shouldn't take long for it to rebound though, especially looking at the feeders on that thing, looks hungry!

The picture was taken about 6 hours after I brought it home from LFS. I am hoping it pulls through. It was under VHO and now LED so it may be adjusting. I added a few things to the tank yesterday. Figured I would try some SPS. I added the following:

Red Montipora

Green SPS not sure what it is

Ricordia

Trumpet Coral

I will try and post some pictures once everything has acclimated and happy.

neowind712

I am having some issues taking pictures of the SPS since it is so high in the tank and the glare from the lighting is causing me to not be able to get a good picture. I will keep trying tomorrow. But here is two new pics. As you can see my frogspawn is growing like crazy. It has already grew another head since I put it in.

mushroom.JPG

tankfar.JPG

Archived