Top Shelf Aquatics

What happened to my feather duster??

KuyaLes

A wierd thing happend to me yesterday....i was watching my feather duster before i went to bed and it seemed like he wanted to get out of his outer layer and explore the tank....i have a emporer 330 hanging on the back of my 10 gallon....so when i wake up he is completely out of his outer layer....and is getting sucked in through the filter....what do i do?? so i try to put him back into his shell and he goes....takes him a while but he is back in....then i leave for work where i am now....why did this happen?? should i be scared?? any thoughts??

I've heard of this happening before, and the general consensus was "they do that sometimes," but that it's okay.   It could be triggered by an unhappiness with water parameters, so make sure they're good and stable.

However, I would be a little concerned about injury from the powerhead.  Hopefully it's okay, though.  These guys don't die easily (well, it's pretty easy to starve them to death, but it takes a long time), so just keep the water good and add some plankton for it, and all should be well.

Matthew

if you put some sort of sponge attachmet that they use on power heads then it should prevent the feather duster from getting sucked in the sponges are like $5 and they have them at petsmart good luck and hope it gets better,Chris:)

Thanx for all the help guys.....but i think he is trying to go to a better place now....he is still in my tank....but now the "crown" or feathers are falling off.... and half of the "head" attached to the "crown" is ripped off of the body because of the filter it was under....but im still going to try to keep him alive....i hope all goes well...thanx for the help...if there is anything else you guys can help me with that would be great....thank you....Les

If part of the actual body of the worm is coming off, then the worm will most likely die. You need to watch this and remove the animal as soon as you are sure it is dead. If ONLY the feathers (crown) have come off, then don't worry, that part will regrow.

Good luck.....

you want to avoid sponges in reef tank, especally nanos. They collect detrituts and plankton that decompose and reduce your water quality.

Archived