Coral Vue Hydros

Best placement for Acan Coral...?

Begow

I have a 20g long, with 18 3-Watt LED's above the tank. Where would be good placement? Low, high, sandbed?

Also, how often should I target feed?

Sand bed or low I feed mine once a day but you only need to do it once a week or so The more you feed the faster they grow

So sand bed is cool then? I just read something saying if sand gets in their polyps they can die.. Obviously not true?

I feed mine once or twice a week and growth has exploded. Also under LEDs in a 40b. Mine seem to like it about mid to lower 1/4 of the tank. Mild to low flow.

Not trying to hijack, but I have the same question? I just moved a bleached Acan to the sand bed in my BC14 with stock lights. It was half way up the rock.

It's about 6-8 heads on a wedge of rock. Should I put some other pieces of rock around or under it or will it be ok in the sand?

Start off low and move them up after a while if u want. They can tolerate different lighting quite well as long as you acclimatize them properly

It really depends on the specific piece, but sand bed would be the place for your tank. If you get a "rainbow" Acan, place it in a shaded or subdued spot, they tend to turn solid orange under brighter lighting.

• Like 1
Mr. Microscope

I've heard acans really need lower light in the 100-150 PAR range to get the best colors. I have mine on the sandbed under 18 inches of water with LED's nine inches above the waterline and they look great!

+1 to feeding them and awesome growth.

It really depends on the specific piece, but sand bed would be the place for your tank. If you get a "rainbow" Acan, place it in a shaded or subdued spot, they tend to turn solid orange under brighter lighting.

+1 about the brightness and the colour. It's also important to note that depending on the spectrum of your lighting, they may colour up pretty differently than how they were when purchased--at least, that's been my experience.

• 3 weeks later...
ultimate sps only

Not trying to hijack, but I have the same question? I just moved a bleached Acan to the sand bed in my BC14 with stock lights. It was half way up the rock.

It's about 6-8 heads on a wedge of rock. Should I put some other pieces of rock around or under it or will it be ok in the sand?

when we had acan problems at my reef store we found what works best for slow nerosis is put higher in tank lower the led output and medium to high flow saved every single coral after this method i was in alaska had to figure out how to take a coral that took 3 days to ship and make it thrive again

btw not direct flow but yes high flow

Archived