inTank Media Baskets

Macro algae for main tank(s)?

d0lph1n

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks great. How big is the sump?

The sump tank is an AGA 20G but I split it into three sections so the refugium ended up around 12"x15"x9" minus a 3" sandbed

Kat,

When I magnified the picture to assist with identification of your red fern, the sensitivity was awkward to handle on touch screen. And then covering my whole screen was this rabbit. I thought the virus was in my apple. I almost dropped my Jamerson.

Patrick

You know that I tore it down on Saturday to move my tank right? Then I raised the baffles and so now I have more volume for my macro chamber. It's going to look different!

I have no doubt it will be amazing!

"My cat likes to sump watch with me". Cats are so intouch to get into that. During the winter time, when cold outside, I let my black lab, Myles into the house. With more than 500 gallons of lighted tanks, he just wants to be rubbed and talked to.

You are an accomplished reefer. Very nice set up. Your hyper links are very stylish. I think we both know Chip.

Patrick

Thank you. Yes, I have sargassum, one of my favorite macros. I had padina one time but it did not last, I've been wanting to try it again along with blue scroll but I inevitable forget to order it during season.

My hyper links were made by Chipp.

Thank you. Yes, I have sargassum, one of my favorite macros. I had padina one time but it did not last, I've been wanting to try it again along with blue scroll but I inevitable forget to order it during season.

My hyper links were made by Chipp.

These guys have 2 in stock

Honestly I have no clue to either of those questions, but you could ask you lfs if they can order some. My lfs has some for their seahorse tanks but they don't sell it. I have only ever kept gracillara and scroll algae. The scroll stuff looks pretty cool, almost like a plating montipora

This past summer, Austin Reef Club had a field day/beach party at Corpus Christie. As the old salty dog I lead several pretty lady's to collect at the jetties near Aransas Pass. Mostly at night for Peppermint Shrimp. When collecting during daylight, I was amazed at the amount of Scroll Algae. It was very cool looking. There were square yards of it all over the large 2 ton boulders. At low tide, it was exposed to direct sunlight. I did not have enough light to support it. Is it still growing for you?

Patrick

Thank you. Yes, I have sargassum, one of my favorite macros. I had padina one time but it did not last, I've been wanting to try it again along with blue scroll but I inevitable forget to order it during season. My hyper links were made by Chipp.

Please describe your success with Sargassom. The one I tried was attached to GOM uncured live rock. It looked like it was getting thin and tall. In land plants, that means it needs more light. I have another start under 1000W MH at 350 PAR. It is thin and tall also.

Sometimes, I just drink a Jamerson and rub Myles. It works for me.

Patrick

...Sometimes, I just drink a Jamerson and rub Myles. It works for me. Patrick

I couldn't stop this comment: I hope Myles is a real cat dog otherwise I wonder what another 20+ years of reefing could do to me too.

I couldn't stop this comment: I hope Myles is a real cat otherwise I wonder what another 20+ years of reefing could do to me too.

Myles is an 80 lb Black Lab. We have been friends for 15 years. I used to have a black and white cat that was adopted 15 years ago. We named her Orphan Annie. Annie stuck. I an allergic to cats. I would rub Annie with my toes to prevent the allergy reaction. Annie got eaten by coyotes last year. During the same night, the coyotes killed and eat a deer in my front yard. It took Myles several months to get over that tramae. I now keep a .243 locked and loaded at my bed. It has night vision sights and at 300 yards, I will honor Annie. We no longer have coyotes near Bear Creek.

Patrick

Myles is an 80 lb Black Lab. We have been friends for 15 years. I used to have a black and white cat that was adopted 15 years ago. We named her Orphan Annie. Annie stuck. I an allergic to cats. I would rub Annie with my toes to prevent the allergy reaction. Annie got eaten by coyotes last year. During the same night, the coyotes killed and eat a deer in my front yard. It took Myles several months to get over that tramae. I now keep a .243 locked and loaded at my bed. It has night vision sights and at 300 yards, I will honor Annie. We no longer have coyotes near Bear Creek. Patrick

Sorry to hear about your cat. What kind of rifle and scope do you have? I don't have a gun or a need for it but I was looking for a .17hmr Anschutz or a Glock 34 just for fun.

I also dropped you a msg in the nitrate export thread. Let me know. Thanks.

The sump tank is an AGA 20G but I split it into three sections so the refugium ended up around 12"x15"x9" minus a 3" sandbed

All the signatures have been disabled for sanity reasons, I hope you don't mind if I ask how big is your tank? Do you have a tank's thread?

Thanks! !

I'm looking fwd to see your new refugium.

Haha no problem, the display is about 8.5 gallons. I'm still putting together a good overview of my system in the first post, but you can ask a question for more details on my thread.

I like it, great photos, awesome built. How is the cat dealing with the 3 little fish?

Remington model 700 bolt action ,243 with a Leupold scope. The scope cosy three times the rifle. I choose Leupold optics over Nikon, they are both good.

Patrick

I have little knowledge on pistols, but I use Glock for personnel protection.

I had a jet black pistol. A pistol shrimp that is. I named him Remington. He lived in my pico for about 6 months.

Sargassum is very hard to keep for me for some reason, it disintegrates. The ones from John Maloney last a whole lot longer than the batches from live-plants. I did not get any as HH on my rock from Dan.

I had a jet black pistol. A pistol shrimp that is. I named him Remington. He lived in my pico for about 6 months.

Sargassum is very hard to keep for me for some reason, it disintegrates. The ones from John Maloney last a whole lot longer than the batches from live-plants. I did not get any as HH on my rock from Dan.

Does John collect in GOM? Gulf Coast Eco systems or live plants is located south of Tampa Bay. Russ also goes south into the Keys. I have not had success with an of it. One reef keeper on ARC was very successful with some uncured live rock that he got from Tampa Bay Saltwater. Richard is a very good example of sustainable maraculture. He has personally moved 7 million pounds of dry Bimini limestone onto his reefs 20 miles west of Tampa Bay. In dealing with these sources, I find all of them to represent environmental responsible positions.

One consistent theme with GOM conditions is the high nutrient conditions thru out the complete Eco systems. From Florida to Brownsville, Tx are the most prolific estuary nursery systems that contributes more than 60% of seafood sold in America until the late 1980's. we now eat fresh delicacies, the same day they were harvested half way across the world.

I like it, great photos, awesome built. How is the cat dealing with the 3 little fish?

Thanks buddy! She loves to watch them surf in the mp-10's current. She does try to paw at them every once in a while but quickly rememberes how she doesn't like to get her paws wet :lol:

The hair algae from the glass is dying off and disappearing but the all 3 macro algae

- Halymenia Floresia

- Halipton Sp.

- Nemastoma Sp

show growth, especially Halipton Sp. who has a bunch of small new leaves. Now, the main Halipton is dark red and the new leaves are more of an orange, a visible difference. is it from too much light or some ingredient is missing from my soup?

The hair algae from the glass is dying off and disappearing but the all 3 macro algae

- Halymenia Floresia

- Halipton Sp.

- Nemastoma Sp

show growth, especially Halipton Sp. who has a bunch of small new leaves. Now, the main Halipton is dark red and the new leaves are more of an orange, a visible difference. is it from too much light or some ingredient is missing from my soup?

Lighter color at tips, means new growth. I would say, your soup is seasoned. Patrick

• 3 weeks later...

Any pics?

I have recently reduced my lighting a tad on my fuge and have seen a definite improvement in coloration of my Dragon's Breath and Ochtodes.

Any pics?

I have recently reduced my lighting a tad on my fuge and have seen a definite improvement in coloration of my Dragon's Breath and Ochtodes.

"Definite improvement" is very subjective. With almost all Red Macro, I have found that color under subdued lighting conditions produce darker burgundy, as opposed to yellow/orange.

Patrick

I can say for sure that my Ochtodes has gone from grayish to vibrant purple and the Dragon's Breath has become darker in color which is more visually appealing to me. Also I have noticed the green macros that I have also appear a deeper green. Not sure if it changes anything healthwise in the plants but they do look better to me.

Archived