Top Shelf Aquatics

Macro algae for main tank(s)?

d0lph1n

For now, I got the following red macroalgae from my LFS:

- Halymenia Floresia

- Halipton Sp.

- another one that looks like Red Dictyota or Nemastoma Sp. For me, it's too small to tell the difference.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

It looks like the 3rd red macro is Nemastoma. I'll post a picture soon.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have some Nemastoma on a live rock, that I got from Gulfview. I had it isolated for 60 days in outside grow out tanks. After being in my display grow out tank for thirty days, I noticed emerging Red Macro. It now has short compact bushes of three different red macros. For sure one of the other red macro is Halymenia Floridana.post-77197-0-67692600-1361969942_thumb.jpgpost-77197-0-67692600-1361969942_thumb.jpg

Red dictyota is supremely invasive. It is a plague and only a fox face fish will eat it. Peroxide does not work on it either. Don't ever put it in your tank.

I'm positive it looks like this but it's too small and too far from the glass to take a proper macro photo.

nemastoma2.jpg

The photo is from marineplantbook.com

I have some Nemastoma on a live rock, that I got from Gulfview. I had it isolated for 60 days in outside grow out tanks. After being in my display grow out tank for thirty days, I noticed emerging Red Macro. It now has short compact bushes of three different red macros. For sure one of the other red macro is Halymenia Floridana.attachicon.gifimage.jpgattachicon.gifimage.jpg

I'm assuming Gulfview is a beach or diving location, what depth did you collect the rocks from?

Do any of view have Botryocladia sp.?

p-80766-Grape-kelp.jpg

I'd be putting money towards a good algae scraper...

When I asked for algae I wasn't very specific ;) I'm not intending to scrap it, I kinda like it for now. It was a lot more...and that's why I have a cleaning crew, otherwise I'd fire everybody and do it myself.

I've been also experimenting with dosing bee pollen...very small amounts, once a week. This might be the cause or the over feeding. 1-2 years ago when I experimented with bee pollen I had huge massive foot long green algae all over a 40G tank but few other things were wrong with that system. Now I have a little more experience, I think I could manage the green algae without scrapping it. Lets see.

I have red grape macro.

Is it invasive as the green one or is it a dif. animal?

I'm positive it looks like this but it's too small and too far from the glass to take a proper macro photo.

nemastoma2.jpg

The photo is from marineplantbook.com

I'm assuming Gulfview is a beach or diving location, what depth did you collect the rocks from?

p-80766-Grape-kelp.jpg

http://www.gulf-view.com/

Dale Barger is my competition and my friend. He is diver/owner of GulfView. His reefs are 15 miles further out than Tampa Bay Saltwater. Thirty miles out west of Tampa Bay in 30' of water. I use his aquacultured rock and isolate and curate for 60 days. In many cases, the macro is completely removed to allow developement of life forms on the rock. I have many growout vats to process different things in different ways.

Patrick

I have Red Grape but will not sell it for 2 months.

Both Red Grape and Dragons Breath are often prolific on GOM live rock. I had some go sexual in my 75G DT. Three years after removing the rocks, both sprouted in a low light tank using PC lighting at 2W per gallon. In my desire to develop this cultivare, I may have nuked it with too much light. The 1000W MH at 6500 kelvin illuminates this vat tank at 350 PAR.

A point of reference on full spectrum lighting, one month earlier I used this same fixture but with a 3000 kelvin rating lamp I knew that the photons used in photosynthesis would be concentrated in this lower range, more bang for the buck. PAR values went over 900.

Some things are best not pushed too hard.

Patrick

post-77197-0-48391000-1362001424_thumb.jpg

Green grape? I think you mean caulerpa, different "plant".

This is my red grape on the right

which looked like this when it had room to grow taller

It looks beautiful. This will be my next macro.

Kat,

Your tank is gorgeous. Spectacular Red Grape. What is the more compact Red Macro in center back. It looks very nice with the red fern like branches. What is it? I like the lighting affect. It is very natural looking and for certain your macros excell. What is your lighting?

Patrick

Kat, Your tank is gorgeous. Spectacular Red Grape. What is the more compact Red Macro in center back. It looks very nice with the red fern like branches. What is it? I like the lighting affect. It is very natural looking and for certain your macros excell. What is your lighting? Patrick

Thank you Patrick, I got mentioned on Reef Builders for the fuge which is pictured above. My tank has only halimeda from Dans Gulf rock. I started both my tanks with uncured rock.

The red macro in the center back of that picture is Halimenia. It has very few orange tips in that picture as it was under exposed to light. At the time of that picture I had LEDs on the fuge. 2 Ecoxotic panorama pros. My T5 light is still being constructed.

Thank you Patrick, I got mentioned on Reef Builders for the fuge which is pictured above. My tank has only halimeda from Dans Gulf rock. I started both my tanks with uncured rock.

The red macro in the center back of that picture is Halimenia. It has very few orange tips in that picture as it was under exposed to light. At the time of that picture I had LEDs on the fuge. 2 Ecoxotic panorama pros. My T5 light is still being constructed.

Please share your thoughts on T5 bulbs. While I use horticulture fixtures and bulbs for maraculture, display tank lighting has always intrigued me with the subtle effects that can be accomplished.

Patrick

Kat's display fuge was a big inspiration for my current build in progress. :wub:

You know that I tore it down on Saturday to move my tank right? Then I raised the baffles and so now I have more volume for my macro chamber. It's going to look different!

You know that I tore it down on Saturday to move my tank right? Then I raised the baffles and so now I have more volume for my macro chamber. It's going to look different!

What about the bunny?!!!

Please share your thoughts on T5 bulbs. While I use horticulture fixtures and bulbs for maraculture, display tank lighting has always intrigued me with the subtle effects that can be accomplished. Patrick

I won't use anything other than T5s if I can help it. My corals came back from the dead under this light. It is also good for macros but I can't test that for myself till I get my light. The ATI T5 lights with their multitude of spectrum offerings are the best out there from the little that I know.

What about the bunny?!!!

And the cat and the mouse? I don't know if I'll keep the house either. We shall see how it comes about.

Sure, thanks a lot. Let me know.

I'll PM you to work out the details

p-80766-Grape-kelp.jpg

This is the red grape like what I inted to give you

Is it invasive as the green one or is it a dif. animal?

Not the same, but it will pop up all over the tank if you break off the "grapes" and they pop/settle somewhere new. I'ts easy enough to remove though since its not that fast of a grower

Not the same, but it will pop up all over the tank if you break off the "grapes" and they pop/settle somewhere new. I'ts easy enough to remove though since its not that fast of a grower

I saw only a house and a bunny, the house can go but the bunny was nice :)

interesting. Will do. Thanks.

Heres a shot of the grape when it was first added to my fuge

iLkMtzp.jpg

It does look great with a tall tank to grow out in

I won't use anything other than T5s if I can help it. My corals came back from the dead under this light. It is also good for macros but I can't test that for myself till I get my light. The ATI T5 lights with their multitude of spectrum offerings are the best out there from the little that I know.

my ATI T5's are growing little bits of macro really well in my display. :)

Cat and mouse?

Aha. Now I see. I still prefer the bunny....and the kat.

I bet you could do great with freshwater planted aquariums.

Heres a shot of the grape when it was first added to my fuge

It does look great with a tall tank to grow out in

my ATI T5's are growing little bits of macro really well in my display. :)

It looks great. How big is the sump?

Archived