Pod Your Reef

Macro algae for main tank(s)?

d0lph1n

What kind of non invasive & California legal macro algae would you put in these 2x7.2Gal nano?

- substrate <1 inch.

- current: medium-strong

- light spectrum: white(5xLED), blue(7xLED) & red (1xLED)

- PAR sand: 50-180

- PAR top rock: 400-600

January 15

• Like 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have not tried it myself but a seagrass would look cool in the left tank and since it would grow in the substrate you could easily control it.

I like your idea. Something that doesn't grow too high. In that area, there is a strong current and 50-200PAR.

Any idea where can I get it pests free or can i use TLF reVive (plant extracts) to treat the algae or it's too powerful?

Honestly I have no clue to either of those questions, but you could ask you lfs if they can order some. My lfs has some for their seahorse tanks but they don't sell it. I have only ever kept gracillara and scroll algae. The scroll stuff looks pretty cool, almost like a plating montipora

• Like 1

Seagrasses are true marine plants. Not suited for such shallow substrate.

http://marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookseagrass.htm

No need to add nutrients to encourage macro algae. It will assist in removing nitrates, phosphates and iron as well as any heavy metals. Many use utilitarian macro in a regugium for this purpose.

The above link is on the home page for Gulf Coast Eco-Systems. They can load you up with macro info as well as quality producet. Tell Russ that I sent you. I also cultivate utilitarian and display quality macro.

Patrick

Seagrasses are true marine plants. Not suited for such shallow substrate.

http://marineplantbook.com/marineplantbookseagrass.htm

No need to add nutrients to encourage macro algae. It will assist in removing nitrates, phosphates and iron as well as any heavy metals. Many use utilitarian macro in a regugium for this purpose.

The above link is on the home page for Gulf Coast Eco-Systems. They can load you up with macro info as well as quality producet. Tell Russ that I sent you. I also cultivate utilitarian and display quality macro.

Patrick

Thanks Patrick. The site looks very promising.

I'm interested in purchasing these, what do you think?

- Red Sampler Pack

- Halimeda Sampler

- Shoal Grass

- Reef Pods

Everything you choose is good except for the Shoal Grass. You will find that true marine plants are much more difficult than macro. Plus, they require extensive substrate. Often more than 6".

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

Everything you choose is good except for the Shoal Grass. You will find that true marine plants are much more difficult than macro. Plus, they require extensive substrate. Often more than 6".

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

I picked Shoal Grass because the site's description:

"A thin flat bladed sea grass that is commonly found in shallow water on the edge of turtle grass beds. It forms thin runners under sand and mud sediment to form shallow water meadows. This is an ideal specimen for the refugium because of it's shallow root system. A hardy plant that is often observed completely exposed at low tide."

live plants is a good site. Your choices are good.

Thanks kat. Your refugium is one of the best I've seen not to mention your tank.

Yesterday I watched a

that blew my mind and got me to rethink the filtration and the general look of my subpar tanks.
  • Like 1

"A thin flat bladed sea grass that is commonly found in shallow water on the edge of turtle grass beds. It forms thin runners under sand and mud sediment to form shallow water meadows. This is an ideal specimen for the refugium because of it's shallow root system. A hardy plant that is often observed completely exposed at low tide."

I have never used it. Go for it. I like Caulerpa Prolifera. It resembles Oar Grass and is very pretty in my opiniuon. The blades are a little wider than Shoal Grass. It is readily eaten by fish. I have dehydrated and added seasoning to eat it as a sea veggie chip.

La bonne temps roulee,

Patrick

it's out of stock anyway.

I'm trying to stay away from Caulerpa Prolifera. It's banned in the San Diego County which is no far from me. Maybe they know something that my county doesn't know it yet.

Caulerpa Prolifers will survive the cold waters off the coast of California. Taxifolia and Prolifera are the only two macros that needed to be banned in California.

As far as I understand from their site, the Triton tanks (the store in the video) use LED for corals - 3 x special version of CREE - and T5 for refugiums.

Shoal grass would do fine in shallower substrates. I would try for ~3" of sand depth, give or take. Your best bet to get it would be to ask around and see if other aquarists have some to spare. I don't have any to spare, as I'm in the process of getting a new system. It will largly focus on turtle grass instead of the others, but will have some shoal grass.

• 4 weeks later...

For now, I got the following red macroalgae from my LFS:

- Halymenia Floresia

- Halipton Sp.

- another one that looks like Red Dictyota or Nemastoma Sp. For me, it's too small to tell the difference.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

Buy as many macros as possible. They are awesome.

Dragon's breath and other halymenia are good though; those and blue ochtodes.

I have very limited space but I'll do my best.

In the red tank, I put the Halipton Sp. on the top left of the big rock in a medium-high light area. and the D's Breath I ziptied it (loosly) to a small rock and put in a shadow-low light area under Xenia. The unidentified 3rd macro is in the 2nd tank, under a net...

Today

February 26

For the past month I cleaned only the front glass plus some over feedings produced some hair algae but I think it's under control. The coraline made a huge progress since last month:
1 month ago

Archived