Top Shelf Aquatics

Oceanarium Imaginarium 80's Slurricane Wonderventure

Deckoz2302

You really don't want compaction, that's actually bad - there should be plenty of microfauna pushing it around. The compaction is what leads to nutrient storage and then eventual release. It's why a lot of people that do carbon dosing that also have sandbeds don't notice any drop in nitrate or phosphate immediately, it takes a few weeks to pull crap from the sandbed.

Earlier you mentioned that you were going to put all of your rocks on piping to get them off the sandbed - what's the plan to hide the piping? I'm interested in doing this, as well, but I don't think it will look right on such a short tank.

We are talking about 3/4 to and inch stilts basically. You wont see them :) meh I will probably be doing sand bed replacement every 2 months. I ordered 80 lbs...planning on using 60. The other 20 is so I can remove and replace. Rinse in fluidized bed reactor I made out of a 5 gallon bucker then reuse it again in 2 months when it has cycled. Make sense?

Hey... good looking build and nice plans, can't wait to see it up and running! Noticed you are in Raleigh, I'm in Knightdale. What lfs do you use? Are you going out to The Reef Farm tomorrow for the frag swap (11-4) or did you decide to go out of town?

-Aaron

Actually I had no clue about the frag swap I just moved here 3 months ago. I bought the tank and stand from reef keepers aquariums in clayton. I havent bought any stock from them as of yet so I cannot comment....all of my livestock for the most part is from pacific east aquaculture in mardela springs md....15 minutes from my old home.

Lol do you need any tanks? I have 2 deep blue pro 12 inch cubes? Lol

Love the dimensions.

Word.. I do too haha

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

We are talking about 3/4 to and inch stilts basically. You wont see them :) meh I will probably be doing sand bed replacement every 2 months. I ordered 80 lbs...planning on using 60. The other 20 is so I can remove and replace. Rinse in fluidized bed reactor I made out of a 5 gallon bucker then reuse it again in 2 months when it has cycled. Make sense?

The stilts will be that tiny? Gotcha. I may have to do that to mine. (or just glue a tiny chunk of rock to the bottom of them, that could work, too)

Good idea with the sand. Or you could just stir it up every few months like I plan on. Put a 1 micron filter sock in the sump and throw the MP10s to NTM for a day or so and it'll collect more poop than... uhm... well, a lotta poop lol

Yea haha they will be that small here is an qui

The stilts will be that tiny? Gotcha. I may have to do that to mine. (or just glue a tiny chunk of rock to the bottom of them, that could work, too)

Good idea with the sand. Or you could just stir it up every few months like I plan on. Put a 1 micron filter sock in the sump and throw the MP10s to NTM for a day or so and it'll collect more poop than... uhm... well, a lotta poop lol

Here is a illustration fron my galaxy note 2 of the concept the oregon reefer used.

Ideanote_20130201_143120_01-1_zps44c6c61

As far as that goes...I could do that but I like the idea of siphoning the sand this way nothing can ever truely build up.. we will see. I do what you suggested currently. But figure I will try something new

There are several here in north Carolina that do as well as some in suffolk and norfolk va. Find another store girl ;)

Whaaaaaaa. I really do need to find a different store. I need to pm you to find out what stores you are talking about.

all of my livestock for the most part is from pacific east aquaculture in mardela springs md....15 minutes from my old home.

That's right!!!! I bet you miss that convenience!!!! Why'd you move? omgomgomg Just kidding ;):D
That's right!!!! I bet you miss that convenience!!!! Why'd you move? omgomgomg Just kidding ;):D

Work...which as of today im regretting. Why do employers always give you shitty news before the weekend...oh I know so your weekend sucks and you don't go postal

• Like 1
krackerjacksna

How are you going to light the cheato tumbler, I am curious, the way your mind works with a reef makes me want to think outside the box

How are you going to light the cheato tumbler, I am curious, the way your mind works with a reef makes me want to think outside the box

Thanks. I've always tried to be a little outside of the box, I don't typically follow the "rules" when it comes to a reef lol. But amyway the cheato tumbler box will be lit by a 13inch 18w cpr aquafuge light :)

And for shits and giggles...morning in the tank

20130202_075422_zpsb43fceb2.jpg

jedimasterben

But amyway the cheato tumbler box will be lit by a 13inch 18w cpr aquafuge light

What? DIY that shit, you're better than that! :lol:

What? DIY that shit, you're better than that! :lol:

Why I have one that was free bro. Came with the free aqueon 15gallon column. Woman was giving shit out and I snatched them up. Lol

jedimasterben

Why I have one that was free bro. Came with the free aqueon 15gallon column. Woman was giving shit out and I snatched them up. Lol

:lol:

A 6" makers with four deep red and one royal blue will give out around eight times the amount of (usable) light as one of those PC bulbs does.

A 6" makers with four deep red and one royal blue will give out around eight times the amount of (usable) light as one of those PC bulbs does.

You buying? I like free haha....I mean come on bro I got like 5 grand on this build between this one and the last one and your gonna shit on me for a cpr fuge lught I got for free lollllll

jedimasterben

You buying? I like free haha....I mean come on bro I got like 5 grand on this build between this one and the last one and your gonna shit on me for a cpr fuge lught I got for free lollllll

I'm just messin with ya. But in the future, I'd better see some magic happening in there. ;)

I'm just messin with ya. But in the future, I'd better see some magic happening in there. ;)

Lol magic is happening. Its all in the mail. Except lights lol trying to finalize my plan as far as wiring before I order it all...

jedimasterben

Lol magic is happening. Its all in the mail. Except lights lol trying to finalize my plan as far as wiring before I order it all...

Lucky. I'm waiting on my Luxeon Ms. I don't know when they'll arrive. :/

So im thinking about cycling the tank..and adding a liter each of 4 different types of pods to the display and fuge...thinking before I transfer or get any new fish have a mandarin establish its territory. Thoughts?

It will be by itself so it may be easier to train it

jedimasterben

So im thinking about cycling the tank..and adding a liter each of 4 different types of pods to the display and fuge...thinking before I transfer or get any new fish have a mandarin establish its territory. Thoughts?

It will be by itself so it may be easier to train it

I can go and get a clump of macro from the ocean for you - it will have far more diversity and sheer numbers of pods (and a ton of good bacteria to add some biodiversity).

• Like 1
I can go and get a clump of macro from the ocean for you - it will have far more diversity and sheer numbers of pods (and a ton of good bacteria to add some biodiversity).

Duh....im just talking about a starter population lol

Archived