Innovative Marine Aquariums

Oceanarium Imaginarium 80's Slurricane Wonderventure

Deckoz2302

Hey Brad, just saw this! Knowing you, this is gonna be killer.

Hey Mark lol. Im trying to be killer..like all of you folks :)

If I had a sump and a refugium, that's exactly what I would get. I love it! I can't wait to see your chaeto tumbler in action...so cool!!!! How much was that?

I paid 79 for it and 17 in shipping. There are 4 different sizes and they all have lids to prevent salt creep. Theyre supposed to be an add on fuge or mud filter but I just wanted it for cheato with a hydro nano powerhead at the bottom and the flow at the top on the inlet to make it spin. Wanted to keep it separate from the display fuge because im probably gonna basically make a nps and colorful macro column with a 3 inch mud bed. So keeping cheato separate was a big one for me this time

The different sizes are. L x W X H

5x15x18

10x9.75x18

10x15x18

23x15x18

• Like 1
  • Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ebay for 25 bucks each for the 5 liter ones...compared to 80 bucks for bubble magus or vertex 5 liters that are not scaled and basically require removal from under the tank to fill them up. These I can mix my doses in jugs flip the top and pour in lol

Ps everything for the tank as far as equipment has been ordered except for the lights

So I think ill be ordering some pukani and tonga from brs and and start building my scape. Im going to hover all of the rocks over the sand bed with pvc similar to the guy that did the 800 gallon tank. Im also going to use a saw and cut all the bottoms of the rocks completelt flat like scortched ice did with his office pico, except for my current rock that my pistol and goby burrow under. This way I can minimize detritus that collects under rocks.

Need to find me 60-80lbs of figi pink. Im going to grind half of it down to sugar sand to lay down first so I can gwt a little bit of a denitric zone aside from the 3 inches of mud in the fuge

• Like 1

Ebay for 25 bucks each for the 5 liter ones...compared to 80 bucks for bubble magus or vertex 5 liters that are not scaled and basically require removal from under the tank to fill them up. These I can mix my doses in jugs flip the top and pour in lol

Ps everything for the tank as far as equipment has been ordered except for the lights

So I think ill be ordering some pukani and tonga from brs and and start building my scape. Im going to hover all of the rocks over the sand bed with pvc similar to the guy that did the 800 gallon tank. Im also going to use a saw and cut all the bottoms of the rocks completelt flat like scortched ice did with his office pico, except for my current rock that my pistol and goby burrow under. This way I can minimize detritus that collects under rocks.

Need to find me 60-80lbs of figi pink. Im going to grind half of it down to sugar sand to lay down first so I can gwt a little bit of a denitric zone aside from the 3 inches of mud in the fuge

Thanks Brad. I'd really like to see this scape!!!

Thanks Brad. I'd really like to see this scape!!!

This is the 800 gallon oregon reef I got the floating rock idea from...basically there is no sand under the rocks...only in the valleys so it is bare bottom under the hovering rocks

p_005_l.jpg

• Like 1

I've seen this tank before, its beautiful, but I didn't know the structures were off the bed. I like the theory of keeping the structure off the sand bed. Not sure how the sand know how to stay in the valley.......

Algae turf scrubber.

ATS = algae turf scrubber, although few actually grow turf algae, usually just hair algaes.

Im also thinking about pickung up a coupke of these acrylic Algae Turf Scrubbers. They have a pivot screw so you can angle then or mount them horizontal. They are 3 inches wide and extend upto 15 inches long... I haven't really decided if I want to follow through with biopellets so this may be another random option to add onT1c3qoXgleXXab2DQ9_104702_zps02844818.jp

I've seen this tank before, its beautiful, but I didn't know the structures were off the bed. I like the theory of keeping the structure off the sand bed. Not sure how the sand know how to stay in the valley.......

He siphons it out and uses a squeege to pull it from under the rocks on a regular basis
  • Like 1

Wow, this tank is going to be awesome. Who made this tank, and where did you get it? I have been considering one of these as an upgrade :-D I can't wait to see your scape.

Edit: deep blue? Still would like to know where though :-)

jedimasterben

I would look at this sand instead of Fiji Pink: http://www.aquariumguys.com/samoa-pink-gravel-2-20lb.html

I know it says 'gravel', but it is really just sand, 1.5-2mm in size. It is far, far better looking than Fiji Pink. I have a comparison to Special Grade from Caribsea somewhere, I'll have to find the pics (Seaflor is the same color as Fiji Pink, despite what Caribsea has in their pics on their site). The Samoa Pink sand is just flat-out gorgeous.

Im also thinking about pickung up a coupke of these acrylic Algae Turf Scrubbers. They have a pivot screw so you can angle then or mount them horizontal. They are 3 inches wide and extend upto 15 inches long... I haven't really decided if I want to follow through with biopellets so this may be another random option to add onT1c3qoXgleXXab2DQ9_104702_zps02844818.jp

I don't know how well it would work, honestly. I mean yeah, it will probably do something, but it may not be efficient enough to be worth it to keep it running. The most efficient scrubbers are waterfall style, just a PVC pipe sticking up out of the water with a slit cut in it that has the cross-stitch mesh, the water flows over it and down the mesh. This way, the algae gets to pull CO2 from the air and will never be limited in that regard. Then give it basic LED lighting on one or both sides (check out the growth this dude gets from four red LEDs and one blue: http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?1873-Kerrys-40G-LED-build , it is wicked) and BAM! I have LEDs on one side and a warm white CFL on the other, and it's almost not worth it to run the CFL - the LED side has algae growing so thick and long it seems like it is trying its damndest to touch the light lol.

With flat-style scrubbers like that one you need a lot more light and flow. That algae scrubber forum above has a ginormous amount of information about them and lots of build threads.

Wow, this tank is going to be awesome. Who made this tank, and where did you get it? I have been considering one of these as an upgrade :-D I can't wait to see your scape.

Pretty much any and all LFS sell Deep Blue Pro tanks.

• Like 1

Thanks man im trying to be more of a perfectionist this time even though I thought I was last time haha. This time all wiring is getting loomed. Hoses will have hose clips to navigate them through the stand. The only thing that will be difficult to access is the cheato tumbler... which is why its gettinf only cheato in it and also I only trim it once a month lol. I took a big cue from urbaneks with his clean setup and im hoping to do the same. Clean tucked and labeled equipment lanel and plugs etc etc

Deep blue yep. I picked up the tank and stand for 450 bucks from a local shop that had had it for a while. Unfortunately the stand was ####ed and deep blue warranty replaced it. So I got a new stand and tank for cheap. Everywhere I saw this combo befpre was in the 850-900 range.

I would look at this sand instead of Fiji Pink: http://www.aquariumguys.com/samoa-pink-gravel-2-20lb.html]http://www.aquariumguys.com/samoa-pink-gravel-2-20lb.html[/url]

I know it says 'gravel', but it is really just sand, 1.5-2mm in size. It is far, far better looking than Fiji Pink. I have a comparison to Special Grade from Caribsea somewhere, I'll have to find the pics (Seaflor is the same color as Fiji Pink, despite what Caribsea has in their pics on their site). The Samoa Pink sand is just flat-out gorgeous.

I don't know how well it would work, honestly. I mean yeah, it will probably do something, but it may not be efficient enough to be worth it to keep it running. The most efficient scrubbers are waterfall style, just a PVC pipe sticking up out of the water with a slit cut in it that has the cross-stitch mesh, the water flows over it and down the mesh. This way, the algae gets to pull CO2 from the air and will never be limited in that regard. Then give it basic LED lighting on one or both sides (check out the growth this dude gets from four red LEDs and one blue: http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?1873-Kerrys-40G-LED-build]http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?1873-Kerrys-40G-LED-build[/url] , it is wicked) and BAM! I have LEDs on one side and a warm white CFL on the other, and it's almost not worth it to run the CFL - the LED side has algae growing so thick and long it seems like it is trying its damndest to touch the light lol.

With flat-style scrubbers like that one you need a lot more light and flow. That algae scrubber forum above has a ginormous amount of information about them and lots of build threads.

Pretty much any and all LFS sell Deep Blue Pro tanks.

I looked at that sand....awesome thanks man. And like I said vefore really isnt enough room for an ats. There are picturea of the one I posted workig but not sure how long it took to get that much algae and also it was just an idea lol. Double fugin :)

Except mine :-/

There are several here in north Carolina that do as well as some in suffolk and norfolk va. Find another store girl ;)

jedimasterben

Thanks man im trying to be more of a perfectionist this time even though I thought I was last time haha. This time all wiring is getting loomed. Hoses will have hose clips to navigate them through the stand. The only thing that will be difficult to access is the cheato tumbler... which is why its gettinf only cheato in it and also I only trim it once a month lol. I took a big cue from urbaneks with his clean setup and im hoping to do the same. Clean tucked and labeled equipment lanel and plugs etc etc

Let me know when you've got everything set up and I'll send you some of my 'ultra' chaeto.

Deep blue yep. I picked up the tank and stand for 450 bucks from a local shop that had had it for a while. Unfortunately the stand was ####ed and deep blue warranty replaced it. So I got a new stand and tank for cheap. Everywhere I saw this combo befpre was in the 850-900 range.

I paid about $200 for my tank. :happydance:

I looked at that sand....awesome thanks man. And like I said vefore really isnt enough room for an ats. There are picturea of the one I posted workig but not sure how long it took to get that much algae and also it was just an idea lol. Double fugin :)

Best part about that sand is that it ships for free. I paid ~$95 shipped for five 20lb bags of it.

Double fugin' all the way across the sky! Yeah, yeeeaahhaaaaaaaahhhh, so intense!

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Damn no free shipping for me Screenshot_2013-02-01-11-08-05_zps04b1aa

Hmm, maybe I did pay for shipping. I don't remember.

EDIT: Yep, it was $8.99 shipping, I forgot. Still, $95 shipped for 100lbs of really nice sand isn't bad. :)

Hmm, maybe I did pay for shipping. I don't remember.

EDIT: Yep, it was $8.99 shipping, I forgot. Still, $95 shipped for 100lbs of really nice sand isn't bad. :)

Oh and you clocked gravel...they. had sand.....I ordered the sand lol

jedimasterben

The #0 sand you ordered is going to be too fine, IMHO, the particle size on #0 is 0.5-1.5, with it mostly being less than 1.0. When I had three MP10 on the tank, my TMS was blown all over the place, it's a bit better now that I only have two, but not so much, still gets blown a little bit.

Dentrification isn't going to happen to a greater extent than with a larger particle sand. It seems like it would be that way, but it is not going to make a significant difference, IMHO.

Sugar is what I wanted. I had sugar in my tank before the one I have now...aka two tanks before this one and the sandbed did work on the nirates. Where as my grained sand of 2 inches doesnt do a thing lol....no nitrogen bubbles and very very loose...

jedimasterben

Sugar is what I wanted. I had sugar in my tank before the one I have now...aka two tanks before this one and the sandbed did work on the nirates. Where as my grained sand of 2 inches doesnt do a thing lol....no nitrogen bubbles and very very loose...

You really don't want compaction, that's actually bad - there should be plenty of microfauna pushing it around. The compaction is what leads to nutrient storage and then eventual release. It's why a lot of people that do carbon dosing that also have sandbeds don't notice any drop in nitrate or phosphate immediately, it takes a few weeks to pull crap from the sandbed.

Earlier you mentioned that you were going to put all of your rocks on piping to get them off the sandbed - what's the plan to hide the piping? I'm interested in doing this, as well, but I don't think it will look right on such a short tank.

SeahawkReefer

Hey... good looking build and nice plans, can't wait to see it up and running! Noticed you are in Raleigh, I'm in Knightdale. What lfs do you use? Are you going out to The Reef Farm tomorrow for the frag swap (11-4) or did you decide to go out of town?

-Aaron

Archived