ReefCleaners.org

Chew's 30 gallon fun box --- OCCY HOSTING THE SEBAE!

Chew_Magna

The tank is running well so far since the move. I ordered a new bulb from OCReef because LEDTRIC was on back order until the 26th of this month. OCReef was out of stock even though the site did not say. So here I am, a couple days shy of two weeks after paying, and I still have no bulb. I'm a little po'd about that.

But anyway. I'm thinking of changing my direction with this tank. Literally. I think I want to go the peninsula route. I have a place to put the tank, I'll have to completely rearrange the office that I just finished moving everything in to, but I think it'll be worth it.

I would REALLY like to do an AIO mod with the tank, but I just won't have the time to get something like that done.

So I think the plan will be to get an AC70 on the "back" with a Badfish surface skimmer mod and run that sucker full blast. I wish I could fit an AC110 there but the tank is only 12" wide and the AC110 is just over 13". I'll need a more powerful powerhead than what I have now to mount on that side to get some movement at the front of the tank. The two 240's I have right now just won't cut it (although they work surprisingly well in the tank's current configuration). I think I'll be able to shove my Oceanic skimmer inside the AC70 so I can get it out of the tank.

I'm planning on ordering some more rock from KP Aquatics, probably just 15lbs to save myself some shipping costs. After moving into this 30 gallon the tank kinda looks like a ghost town. I need to fill 'er up. Should I go cured or un-cured? I almost want to go un-cured just to see what all kinds of goodies I get with it. Then again, I could potentially crash my tank due to the die off in that much rock in a tank this size.

I need to plan it out some more but you get the idea.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still waiting on my light... la di da. But I did get an email from OCReef stating that the bulbs were back in stock and shipping.

But check these out.

FXHlyo7.jpg

MHJFed5.jpg

The acro (I'm assuming that's what it is) is a little browned out but I'm hoping that I can get it colored up. This is my first sps and I know I'm taking a chance with it since I have a clown goby in the tank.

Speaking of that little clown goby. It's still alive, but I've never ever seen it eat. Never once when I'm feeding, whether it's flakes: formula 2, reef flakes, brine flakes, or if it's frozen: brine, mysis and formula 1 and cyclops. He's chowing down on something though.

I also bought some lace rock today but I'm a little hesitant to put it in the tank. I already have one piece in there, but it came from a previous reef tank. This stuff has a very... earthy... smell to it. It had a bit of dirt on it that I sprayed off with an industrial spray thinger, then I dunked it/shook it/spin cycled it in a bucket of RODI. I think I may end up putting it in a bucket with a pump and cycle it before putting it in my tank. It is cool looking though. I have some big plans for it along with some coral putty.

My light is finally here! AND ITS FRIGGIN BUILT INCORRECTLY. It's supposed to have 4 whites and one red, but it had 3 reds and 2 whites. WTF. I waited three weeks on this thing and I'm going to have to return it.

RAGE!!!!

LETDsUe.jpg

Seriously, what the hell. This isn't what I ordered.

I plugged it up and put it side by side with my LEDTRIC light and this one is very red/purple, while my other is definitely on the bluer side. It's not going to cut it.

So upset right now...

Im sure they will fix the issue.Heck hey may even tell you to keep the bulb and send you a new one.

Possibly since most people don't need 3 red leds on a single bulb.

Pics of it over the tank!

Actually I'm kinda digging this light now. With the optics on both bulbs there was an obvious difference between the two. I took the optics off both and placed them closer to each other and it actually blends pretty well. I also added some of the new rock I have. I still have one piece to squeeze in, but it has some old bubble algae on it that I need to get off.

yPXup4H.jpg

D2vMZgG.jpg

As you can see a lot of the coral is sitting on the sand. I haven't gotten around to placing everything in it's final location because I'm still torn on the idea of turning this thing into a peninsula

Small picture dump.

qOsxbgs.jpg

I've seen this referred to as Hellboy favia?

bC5Ffie.jpg

New bird's nest, just after being put in the tank. It's green and pink without the polyps out, the pic just didn't pick up any of the green (all these were taken at low ISO, 200).

NAPZxSE.jpg

Milli? Branching monti? A positive id on this would be nice.

zbsyoYF.jpg

Cabbage leather up-skirt shot. :rolleyes:

RLngmIt.jpg

Humbug photobombing.

LzvKUVz.jpg

PVphypj.jpg

Blue xenia, non-pulsing.

I have the next couple days off, so I plan on actually getting my coral off the sand and onto the rocks.

New stuffs!

Skunk cleaner shrimp:

xSNdl2u.jpg

Skunk cleaner cleaning purple dottyback!

Literally 2 minutes after being put in the tank.

AKHt2Nh.jpg

Acro is starting to color up for me, you can see the green on the base. There's more on the stem but the camera doesn't pick it up very well.

EuQ3GWg.jpg

I also picked up a red (actually purple bluish right now) trumpet, but it looks like poop/ultra slime right now. As soon as it calms down I'll get a pic. It's actually a really nice piece and I haven't seen anything like it so far.

I've been slowly getting stuff off the sand bed and onto the rocks. I've been procrastinating... Star Wars: The Old Republic has consumed me lately.... :blush:

I hate that my camera (phone) doesn't do any of this justice. I'm tempting to flash back to an older rom just to have the better camera.

Here we go, pic of the new trumpet (I like candycane).

This is very close to how it looks IRL.

1tsVAf3.jpg

Photodump of some of my fav pieces so far.

89t3xth.jpg

ZfW5Y35.jpg

mAVUg63.jpg

SJNmN19.jpg

hZ9BEwx.jpg

bLljEvV.jpg

I picked up a couple new zoas today. Still floating right now, one has a bivalve attached to it that's as big as the frag plug. I'm not sure if I'll keep it yet, it has a lot of hair algae on it. :angry:

Water is fine, I have no algae in the tank except for a little diatom on the sand due to adding some new rock recently (and needing more flow, I'm still using my two 240's).

Bivalve.

n6S5Jvg.jpg

Opened up within minutes of going in the tank.

Boiling the new zoas in peroxide.

lIC2GXm.jpg

Acan with dottyback photobomb.

221vpcV.jpg

I'm going to be moving this to a higher flow area soon to try and get those polyps extended.

My blue xenia.

hODWndJ.jpg

I just love this stuff.

I'm due for a water change, in fact I was planning on doing one tomorrow. I go to work today and one of the guys had accidentally dumped bleach into the RO/DI. :huh::eek::rant::tears:

timothymarsh

Loving this tank! I tried taking the optics off my LEDTRiC bulbs once and I did not have the same results as you, although that may be due to height off of the water. The tank looks a lot bigger than 15 gallons, I think the minimal rock work really helps with that. I wish my base rock was smaller like yours. Keep up the good work!

Loving this tank! I tried taking the optics off my LEDTRiC bulbs once and I did not have the same results as you, although that may be due to height off of the water. The tank looks a lot bigger than 15 gallons, I think the minimal rock work really helps with that. I wish my base rock was smaller like yours. Keep up the good work!

I'm actually in a 30 long now. I moved and upgraded with the move.

I'm actually setting up the 15 as a figure 8 puffer tank in brackish water. Just added water today.

timothymarsh

So you just took this tank down a few days ago? Or was it up a long time ago and you just posted it now, because your last update is from 4 days ago

So you just took this tank down a few days ago? Or was it up a long time ago and you just posted it now, because your last update is from 4 days ago

The 15 gallon started a few months ago (December?, not going to look up the old thread in the beginners section). Then my girlfriend and I moved in together and I had to opportunity to move into a bigger tank, the 30 long. I just can't change the title of the thread since the forum upgrade.

Now for a tiny update.

This par38 from OCReef has been bugging the hell out of me with how purple it makes the tank. I had a moment of genius.

mUF2rPv.jpg

I tried putting the optics back on both bulbs and was unimpressed, so they're still running naked. Now that they match in spectrum (you can't tell any difference whatsoever that one bulb has 2 diodes covered) I raised them a couple inches and spread them out a few more inches. Now the tank looks much much better.

A new addition.

yLWYgrR.jpg

New rock flower. Just added to the tank, so it isn't comfortable yet. It looks to be platinum, we'll see if it colors up any under my lighting.

And just because this guy is a photowhore...

gWZ399a.jpg

Since I was already uploading pics...

Photodump!

I reeeeally wish I had a decent camera. I hate torturing you guys with these cellphone pics.

whrncuI.jpg

Ng4v4Mv.jpg

ntDZm4u.jpg

wehR6ny.jpg

R9aMuHP.jpg

yMgVnCX.jpg

4V8Wgpj.jpg

pt4mBvm.jpg

That yellowtail damsel was a freebie. It's been a little beaten up by the dottyback, so far that's the only aggression that's ever happened in this tank. So far. Eventually I know I'll have to get rid of a few of these guys or they'll tear each other apart.

So check this out. The new rock flower doesn't seem to like opening during the day. I thought maybe the led's were too much for it, so I put it in a shaded area, but it still doesn't like opening when they're on. This is what it looks like when the lights go out...

zg2qjt5.jpg

It swells close to 4x the size it is during the day. Kinda neat and worrying at the same time.

Not yet. I was going to wait a few days and let it get used to my tank first. I plan on feeding both today.

I think I might even pick up another one soon. We have a yellow one at work. :)

Great pics!

Think so? I hate having to use my phone for pics, they don't come out anywhere near as good as the tank actually looks.

Moar!

Gf4piM6.jpg

Little bugger promptly disappeared into the rock work.

JifNp53.jpg

Pincushion! About the size of a half dollar.

02H94Ig.jpg

My girlfriend was trying to get me a pom pom on valentine's day but she wasn't able to. I stopped by the other store yesterday and saw that hey had some, so I sent her a text all in caps and she got me one. :D;):wub:

I love pom pom crabs, they are insanly expensive in Australai though which is a shame. I havealways liked urchins, has it started moving things around yet?

Archived