Cultivated Reef

A (probably) silly, anthropomorphic question

Kelpie

I would like to eventually have a clownfish and an anemone ( a yellow clown goby and pistol shrimp would be nice too). However my tank is but 21 gallons and I have been advised here that it probably would not support the bioload imposed by two clown fish. Would it be cruel to keep one of this fish without a partner? It seems sad in some way.

Nope. Clownfish will be fine without anemone. Don't worry. It will eventually host anything... including your powerhead.

miller_time

i have a single percula in my 28 gal. and he is happy as he can be, just bopping around the tank. Also, he has taken to my frogspawn, he'll swim around my tank, but won't leave my frogspawn for very long.

2 (false) perculas would be fine in a 21 gallon aquarium. I have two of them in my 18 gallon tank, and they are doing fantastically. Buy them young and small and you'll be able to keep them for quite a while.

miller_time

be carefull if you get a maroon, i had one, but i finally got rid of it. Off all the clownfish species the maroons are the most aggressive and largest. I made the mistake of adding one to my tank and it bullied everything in there, so i sold him real quick. Just some advice for you to keep in mind.

Perculas are also beautiful, and they are very peaceful fish. Still, they have plenty of personality.

I have a maroon and so far so good. He lets my skunk cleaner clean him every night. Those two wont leave each others side. My LFS will let me trade him in if need be but for now he is great!

I've had a couple of maroon clowns in the past. I agree that they are good looking fish. The first I had in a 20 gallon FOWLR. Did great - and now lives in a friends 150. He's huge now. The second I had in a 10 gallon. He did great also for the two years I had the tank. He was the only fish in the tank so he had no one to beat up on. Unfortunatly, I gave the tank to someone else who ended up neglecting it and eventually killed everything in it. Anyway, I don't see why a maroon wouldn't do well in your tank depending on the other fish you have.

I think they'd be fine. Of course, if you want a pair, make sure they're already matched. Good luck! They're very fun to watch!

kraphtymac

I've got two true Percs hosting in a Sebae Anemone right now in my 7 gallon minibow. I have a 5.5 gallon refugium with a Lee's counter current skimmer. Eveyone else can read their little fishies' minds, I guess, because they know if they are happy or not. I do not have fish ESP, but my two percs have been cruising around the tank and mating for about 6 months now! I would say 21 is enough for them if you carefully monitor water parameters.

Archived