Cultivated Reef

Critter ID

rush07

Need help ID'ing the critter in the picture below. I have a bunch of them living in my sand bed. Caught one on the glass at night over the weekend. Its about 1.5-2 inches long. Any help appreciated.

post-24090-0-72529200-1358803507_thumb.jpg

Deleted User 3

I don't think so, their tentacles might irritate corals, but thats about all I think they would do. Usually are beneficial because hitch hikers.

Here is what Chucks Hitchhiker ID has to say

"Cirratulids are deposit feeders which gather food from the sea bottom by means of their palps. They are sluggish worms which bury themselves below the surface of sea bottoms leaving only their gills and palps visible. Some are free-living and inhabit tubes, while others are capable of burrowing through corals, shell or rock. Hence, they occur both in shallow water as well as deep sea. They inhabit mud flats or muddy areas between rocks. They are usually orange or bright red and are found among mussels and kelps. They are indirect deposit-feeders. They have no proboscis as their food is collected by their palps and carried to the prostomium."

IMO I'd get rid of it. I started with a couple in my 15 gallon and now there are dozens of them. There is barely a spot in my tank without their feelers there. They definitely irritate coral.

Thanks for the responses. I see some sites say they a good sand sifters and seem to be sought after for DSB tanks. I only have about an inch of substrate. Think I will pull them out. I bet I have at least 20 of them in my 29.

After a few minutes of research I just think i'm gonna keep them. Keeping the sandbed stirred is always a plus, and I've never actually seen any on my rocks, only a few times on the glass. Don't think they'll bother anything unless you have stuff on the sandbed.

After a few minutes of research I just think i'm gonna keep them. Keeping the sandbed stirred is always a plus, and I've never actually seen any on my rocks, only a few times on the glass. Don't think they'll bother anything unless you have stuff on the sandbed.

I have them all throughout my rocks, not just the sand. That's where I first noticed them, on the rocks. I have some with 4+" feelers. That's pretty long in a 15.

I'm going to hijack you a little here, but is there anything that eats these? I have too many to simply remove.

Archived