inTank Media Baskets

Yellow Stripe/Neon Goby Pair

doppelganger

Question for the fish experts out there. I have 20G that's been going almost 1.5 years now and I'm thinking about getting more fish to liven it up a bit. I'm not so worried about bioload because I haven't done a water change in like 3 weeks and I actually had to turn off my skimmer because there were 0 nitrates and my LPS weren't thrilled. I have a 6line (model citizen) and 2 clowns that like to only bicker with each other.

So my question is whether or not a pair of neon gobies would fair well? It would be 5 fish for a 20 which is a fair amount. Keep in mind that the clown's are not full grown yet either. I've never owned a neon goby before so I'm not sure how their personalities are vs fish that can be more agressive even tho mine don't seem to be.

Also, I'm curious how to pair them. Is it just like clowns? Throw them in together and hope for the best? I prefer pairing them myself if possible because I'd like 1 neon and 1 yellow stripe neon. Purely for aesthetics of course.

If anyone would shed some light on the pairing process and personalities that would be helpful. Thanks!

Your other fish might not dig them too well. My friend's clown wouldn't let him add neons specifically for some weird reason but the only way to know is to try.

Neons are soo tiny you probably won't see a parameter swing from adding them. Only gotcha is that sexing them after the fact's dicey at best... If you plan to add a pair, do so by adding an already-mated pair. After the fact is a guessing game with a 50/50 shot of adding the wrong sex, since they don't change it to suit.

Interesting... I've read quite a few times that they can change sex but I'm not sure if that's true or not. From what I've heard, most seem to pair fairly easily as well which also could mean that they change sex?

Obviously it's probably better to get a female and male initially tho.

But yeah I dunno... Anyone else have experiences pairing neon gobies themselves?

Some do, some don't. Elacatinus oceanops (i.e. blue neon goby) to my understanding doesn't.

Now, if someone knows better steps up and refutes this (edit: credibly), then I've got an answer to my own unasked "what-fish-do-I-get-next" question. ;)

Archived