SaltCritters.com

Shrimp Stocking in a 10g Softie Tank

Kornyam

Hey everyone,

My tank is just finishing cycling, so I won't be stocking any shrimp for a while yet, but I've been trying to decide what the best option is. This is my first salt water setup, a 10 gallon tank, going to be mainly zoas/palys/shrooms with a small fish or two.

Id like to have a shrimp or two in there as well, but I can't decide what would be best. I'm torn between:

-Skunk cleaner

-peppermint

-Sexies

All of these are usually available at my LFS (I'm in Canada and shipping can be a bit difficult)

I've heard skunk cleaners are really fun, but like to be in pairs. Would 2 be overloading my tank? I haven't been able to find much on peppermints aside from Aptasia control, are they a better or worse choice than skunk cleaners?

My other option would be 3 Sexies, which seem to be pretty different than the others in terms of personality.

Any opinions or suggestions would be greatly appreciated (including others I may not have thought of)

AFellowReefer

I would go with a scarlet skunk cleaner, they have a lot of personality and tend to be the stars of my tanks. I have one in a ten gallon and has not been paired, he is fine alone. As for peppermints, I really never see mine, they hang under a rock all day until it is night. And as for sexy shrimp, they tend not to do well without an anenome (which are not recomended for ten gallons)

Haveing one cleaner shrimp is not a problem. I have NEVER had more than one in a tank and have never had a problem.

There are some really neat anemone shrimp out there, like Pedersons anemone shrimp but they're very small.

From my experience, you can mix shrimp except coral bandeds.

You can easily do three sexy shirmp AND a skunk cleaner if you wanted.

Be aware that sexy and peppermint shrimp will eat coral if there is not enough scaps for them to munch on. In that size of a tank you'll be watching closely how much you feed. Just so you know.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions. I'm thinking I'll probably go for a skunk cleaner to start, and we'll see where it goes from there.

Archived