Pod Your Reef

Spencer's Sexy Small Polyped Sixty: From Frags to Riches (Retired)

Spencer7

Interesting case development. I had a co worker test my water after Squared mentioned the whole quality issue/possibility.

He just emailed me the results.

Undetectable Phosphates (Hanna Phos Checker) and nitrates (Elos Test)

I don't believe the results and will test again myself tomorrow, but I think my corals will be happy to get their Fauna and KZ additives

Your tank is still fairly new, so a reading of 0 phosphate and 0 nitrate doesn't sound strange. Even in my tank na/phos levels hover just above 0.

Maybe it isn't your water, but the fish actually does have a bacterial infection?

I bought a really nice Exquisite Wrasse today, we got a shipment of five really nice ones yesterday and three have already gone. Also we got a Diamond Tail Flasher Wrasse in the store, didn't buy it, beautiful fish. Also got a dark purple acro and some Blue Sympodiums.

The wrasse is super freaked out from the move, added him into the tank at 8 PM with the lights completely off.

Dosing Order

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/BRS%20and%20Dosing%20Stuff/file_zpsbc2d8836.jpg.html'>file_zpsbc2d8836.jpg

These are the 4 bulbs I got to sample, I will probably end up choosing two (to accompany the AquaBlue Special and Coral Blue Plus I have), however all four are running until I get the ecoxotic stuff. The lighting is pink/purple-ish as you'll see in the FTS.

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/BRS%20and%20Dosing%20Stuff/file_zps42208450.jpg.html'>file_zps42208450.jpg

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/BRS%20and%20Dosing%20Stuff/file_zps249bff2c.jpg.html'>file_zps249bff2c.jpg

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/BRS%20and%20Dosing%20Stuff/file_zpsbb24fbe3.jpg.html'>file_zpsbb24fbe3.jpg

I giving it some time, my boss bought two and the first one died very soon after arriving.

I think he is a little reluctant to sell/give this one to me at a very discounted price, if not wholesale, which is normally the deal because he wants to cover his losses and plus it's a very rare fish unlike the exquisite and tono which I got for roughly $30 each. A price to good to pass up, especially when both of these two fish came in such healthy/good looking bunches.

Remember this?

Nice!!!!

But don't get a garden eel, they need a dsb at least 8", lots of feeding, and peaceful tankmates.

Well...

file_zps5c81e817.jpg

plus... (Linespot Flasher)

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/Eel-July%20FTS-Wrasse/file_zps8692fadd.jpg.html'>file_zps8692fadd.jpg

I was able to position the eel over the 4.5" thick patch of sand, also that spot does not have too much flow.

It's up to him if he wants to stay there.

As for the wrasse, little nervous about jumping.

Last flasher I had jumped after 5 months during a power outage, they don't tend to live very long in captivity

(the more active flasher wrasses)

NEW FTS POSTED! 1st POST!

Here's the eel, in the last pic he is eating some mysis...

file_zps712154e7.jpg

file_zps3c27daaa.jpg

file_zps2c44ea9a.jpg

Acan has been doing amazing...
file_zps493f2261.jpg

Blue Sympodiums
file_zps88956b79.jpg

New Wrasse
file_zpsbaa49de5.jpg

Dominant Bartlett, female changing into a male, largest.
He has a trio of females/bitches, excluding an outcast female, the one with pop eye, who actually healed by herself :D

file_zpsfabfd7fe.jpg

file_zpsa1f88378.jpg

file_zps0795560d.jpg

Kick it off with my personal fav, the purple granny, it has funky colors and is a fast grower, already been fragged once.file_zpsf1675130.jpgfile_zpsda04d6f9.jpgfile_zps7c6b9133.jpgfile_zps875704fe.jpgfile_zps4f5e48d8.jpgfile_zpsccaff389.jpg
file_zpsc4f9a155.jpgfile_zps0824e14b.jpg
file_zps6cd7ba6c.jpg
file_zps48f1b774.jpg
file_zps8e89672b.jpgFTS
c3d0b4f1-97df-46ae-9852-104068f20d24_zps2nd...
file_zpsbacb659d.jpg

Hope those SPS perk up soon.

Glad the anthias recovered.

Have you started dosing yet?

I went through and cleared up that post, randomly the coding gets screwed up.

Check the first post, yes, I started 3 days ago.

Except for two pieces the SPS is growing and showing PE, the colors are just faded.

I am very confident that things will fall into place as the dosing is perfected and the lights are improved. Phosphates may be a little too low, but I doubt it, no worries. The tank still is very nice looking in my opinion, decent color variety (to come lol), good placement, good variety in fish and corals. Overall happy ( :

Patience

Out of the three most recent Full Tank Shots shown (bottom two pics above, and the most recent one shown in this threads first post) which do you (Squared and the bros) think is the best?

Imma bump dis, for those who haven't seen the new pics...

Exciting stuff, tomorrow I'm getting a good sized Pearlberry colony

Also probably returning my Tono as he has been harassing the Flasher (who looks much better at the moment)

Also I expected for the Tono to mature color and fin wise but I think the tank is too small and he would just remain a juvenile with a tantrum...

Only two wrasses, and I knew the risk I was taking, keep in mind that I get these fishes for very cheap and if any problems occur I am within biking distance of the LFs where I work. Much better situation than those poor reefers in Alaska.

Today and yesterday I fed one part Reef plankton, one part mysis, three times both days. As it should be with most anthias/garden eels.

With that said, I normally can feed them once (and maybe a 2nd time an hour later).

These two days I just turned the MP40 off (for the eel) and put a lot of food in, we'll shall see if I will have to do more, I probably will...

These are the corals I just ordered, will come some time later in the week...

Pink Tip Sarmentosa :P

Raspberry Nasuta :)

Hawkins Echinata
B)
Sky Blue Stag :lol:
Bubblegum Mille :D
:o

July 13th Test Results

Ca---380
KH---7
Mg---1400
PO4---0.05

NO3---0

Lots of frags and stuff coming Tuesday. I'll adjust dosing...

Good luck with the Eel, do you have a top?

The tank looks very nice, it'll be future TOTM material once it's matured.

The eel is still alive and eating. I tried catching the Tono with no luck a week ago and maybe it was for the good b/c the linespot wrasse has gotten more acclimated and the Tono doesn't really touch him anymore.

As far as TOTM, that's the plan! My honest guess is in 18 months. When I go to HomeDepot I will probably get some light netting for the tank top. In general since the wrasse is acclimated and the tank is functioning normally he has no reason to jump, normally it happens within the first two weeks or a disaster (like a power outage), it's only happened once to me before, with a carpenter that was pushing the avg. life span, he jumped during a PO from stress.

The color is slowly improving, the pink lemonade has grown somewhat, the sympodiums as well.

The most important/significant signs of improvement to me are the two most recently added corals (pearlberry and mystery dark purple acro) have kept all their colors, rather than pale and bleach. I took out three pieces that have not been doing well and trashed them, I dipped the, before doing so and some acro eating nudibranchs appeared, they look similar to berghia...

Dipping all the corals that aren't encrusted in my tank, also doing my routine WC and cleaning.

Next pic dump will probably be on Wednesday or late next week once the new lights are running and the new corals are in.

Two favorite corals at the moment are the Pink-Tip Sarmentosa and the Pearlberry

First one is the mother colony I got my frag from and the second is a pearlberry that has the same colors as mine.

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/Nice%20Corals/file_zps16b658b8.jpg.html'>file_zps16b658b8.jpg

http://s1116.photobucket.com/user/SpenceDaFence/media/Nice%20Corals/file_zpsa9052eae.jpg.html'>file_zpsa9052eae.jpg

• Like 1

Everyone is still alive, WC on Tuesday, slowly having to increase dosing.

Ordered cabinet doors, the ecoxotic modules still haven't come after two weeks, which pisses me off.

Tank is 90 days old, photoshoot on Wednesday.

My Linespot is eating but always in stress mode b/c of the Tono (who I have casually tried to catch a few times w/ out destroying acros.