Top Shelf Aquatics

Question about bumble bee snails

zemuss

I recently read a few post on other forums about Bumble Bee snails and how they eat vermetid snails. I was wondering if anyone have found this to be true? I have an ever growing population of vermetid snails and they are affecting my corals.

I also read an article on ReefBuilders that suggest the mucus webs that the vermetid snails uses to catch food will irritate and cause your SPS to die.

"Z"

I doubt it.

Bumblebee snails are known to eat macrofauna in the sandbed on rocks that is beneficial to your reef. They don't eat algae they are carnivorous that's why they will eat vermitid snails. I doubt one or two will do much harm.

• Like 1

Bumblebee snails are known to eat macrofauna in the sandbed on rocks that is beneficial to your reef. They don't eat algae they are carnivorous that's why they will eat vermitid snails. I doubt one or two will do much harm.

Yup. Bumblebee snails don't eat algae and are more decorative and are more of a predatory snail than anything else, makes sense since they have that conch-like shell. Idk about them eating the vermetid snails though, let us know!

Yup. Bumblebee snails don't eat algae and are more decorative and are more of a predatory snail than anything else, makes sense since they have that conch-like shell. Idk about them eating the vermetid snails though, let us know!

I have heard if you crush the vermetid snails tube the bumblebee will sometimes eat them. Honestly I find it more effective to just go around super glueing them to death.

I have heard if you crush the vermetid snails tube the bumblebee will sometimes eat them. Honestly I find it more effective to just go around super glueing them to death.

Sounds just like how I deal with aptasia, LOL.

• 1 month later...

I removed the rocks that had most of the vertmetid snails. However, the back of the tank had about 20 or so and those are gone.

I have seem the snails on top of a vertmetid snail and come back and said vertmetid snail is gone.

I think they do the job, but I wouldn't stock a huge supply of them.

Sorry everyone that I haven't updated this thread. Life has me busier than I wish to be.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
Matt Buffalo

I noticed when I bought my copper band and I had tons of Fantasia after they were eradicated I noticed a break out of vermited snails. Another local friend of mine on my local Facebook forum said that he noticed the same thing that when his raccoon butterfly ate all of his Fantasia he had a verminted outbreak. Mine don't throw the webs yet but I noticed if I put a coral plug with a piece of frag on it within a month or two I'll have a vermited snail growing on the bottom or side of the plug, which I don't understand cuz I don't think there's a way of it really penetrating deep into the plug because when I just pop it off it doesn't really have an inside to dig out.

Matt Buffalo

I have about 10.   These vermatids have never shown the white webbing and have one right in the middle of a 3 headed octospawn and a few on plugs that encrusted acros too.   Bubble bee smalls I initially bought for A HUGE BWORM other which is still bad but mostly small ones in the sand now .  Never thought have they let go of that stuff when after broadcasting reef roids our and type of liquid food.. wondering if they a different type but for one to appear on a brand new plug within a month I don't know what to think.. I've dig them out before but this one isn't buried inside the plug it's plastic I just used a razor blade it was gone be buried snail like I've seen before..   I have BB smalls though I see them usually sitting in one spot for a while where there's a tiny hole doing whatever they do

• Like 1