Pod Your Reef

Innovative Marine Nuvo 8

specvjeff

I've been a member of this forum for some time but never posted. I haven't been around much lately since I left being a nano reefer. I recently purchased a Innovative Marine Nuvo 8g. I unpackaged the tank and set it up on my kitchen counter. I like the build quality but there are a couple things I'll be changing. I am adding an in-tank media basket, and will be upgrading the return pump to a Cobalt MJ. I purchased the spin stream nozzle with it. I like that it's rotating the flow around. I'm going to have to keep it clean as coraline starts to build up. I set it up with about 10 pounds of Fiji Pink live sand, and roughly 6 pounds of cured live rock. I'm going to wait for the water to clear up, and I'll add a couple tester frags of zoas and a few snails to see how they do. Eventually the primary focus of this tank will be higher end zoas and palys. I currently have a decent collection in my 63g rimless tank but I'd like to move them over to the Pico. I haven't decided yet on fish. I obviously have to be very selective as this tank is very small. At this time, I'm leaning towards a Yasa Hase Goby and a Candy Stripe Pistol Shrimp. Other ideas range from a small group of Green Banded Gobies, Clown Gobies, maybe a Two Spot Blenny. I'm not set on anything yet. Below are a couple pictures of the tank set up with the aquascaping done.

2013-01-09_23-45-14_427_zps07dbbae4.jpg

2013-01-09_23-45-26_662_zps726a441f.jpg

Oh and here's a picture of my newest pic up for my 63. Sorry I'm too excited not to share!

2013-01-06_21-26-36_5_zps476d0037.jpg

Builder Anthony

I seen a goby simular to that not long ago.It was darker though.U know the name of them.I think there bumbulbee gobys or something.

The Goby is Priolepis noctura. Common names include; White Tiger Goby, Gecko Goby, and Circus Goby. They are found throughout the Hawaiin Islands. They aren't very common in the trade. The Bumble Bee Goby (Brachygobius doriae) is black and yellow. It is a common freshwater/brackish water Goby.

Question ! Are you getting water dripping off those clips for the lid? Everytime I come home I have dried salt streaks on the side of my tank. I really don't want to lower the water level.

Question ! Are you getting water dripping off those clips for the lid? Everytime I come home I have dried salt streaks on the side of my tank. I really don't want to lower the water level.

Unfortunately the only way to stop the dripping is lowering the water level. I had put some floss over the grate on mine to keep my YCG out of the back portion, which raised the water level and caused the clips to leak water over the side. Since I took that out it's been fine. Perhaps run your tank without the lid? You'll have to top off more, but if you don't have fish that jump then you can keep your water level where you like it.

I am not having that problem at all. I did when I had my solana set up and I have an issue with my powerhead pushing water onto the clip in my 63g rimless. My water level is much lower than the clips in my Nuvo 8.

I also ditched the Spin Stream Nozzle for now. Even with the variable speed pump provided with the tank turned all the way up, it was no where near enough flow. I put a single head of Green Torch in there and, it was barely moving. I put the flared nozzle back on and the flow is much better. I still like the concept of the Spin Stream Nozzle. I am going to upgrade the return pump to a Cobalt MJ and see if it works out better. If not, oh well. Has anyone used the AuqaGadget protein skimmer from Innovative Marine? I'm looking at that skimmer, the eshopps nano skimmer, and possibly even the Tunze Nano 9002. Yes it will fit! Might be a little overkill though :lol: I picked up a used Reef Keeper Lite yesterday and got that running as well.

Here is an updated shot from today with just the blues on.

2013-01-13_12-24-11_996.jpg

I also ditched the Spin Stream Nozzle for now. Even with the variable speed pump provided with the tank turned all the way up, it was no where near enough flow. I put a single head of Green Torch in there and, it was barely moving. I put the flared nozzle back on and the flow is much better. I still like the concept of the Spin Stream Nozzle. I am going to upgrade the return pump to a Cobalt MJ and see if it works out better. If not, oh well. Has anyone used the AuqaGadget protein skimmer from Innovative Marine? I'm looking at that skimmer, the eshopps nano skimmer, and possibly even the Tunze Nano 9002. Yes it will fit! Might be a little overkill though :lol: I picked up a used Reef Keeper Lite yesterday and got that running as well.

Here is an updated shot from today with just the blues on.

2013-01-13_12-24-11_996.jpg

Im running a CA MJ900 and a koralia nano, i was water testing yesterday, and knocked the nozzle the other way by accident, boy is that mj9 powerful, i had sand everywhere lol

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Looks like there haven't been any updates lately, but interested in the 9002 & Nuvo 8 combo. Anyone using this combo?

Archived