Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Spec V - Tres Islas Pequeñas (RETIRED: 10-30-13)

Boneshaker

Well... I may take this tank down as well. I've been debating on this for a couple weeks now. One of the main factors is, the fact that I never really gave this tank "great" lighting. It's had the stock Fluval LEDs along with a couple Ecoxotic Stunners.

I've been wrestling with the decissions as to which inverts will go where... either to my Nuvo 16, or to my Oceanic 30 Gallon Cube. I currently have my Hawaiian Strawberry Crab in the Nuvo, which I will catch and move to the Oceanic, so I can move the Pom Pom crab, Porcelain crab & Emerald crab to the Nuvo, along with both Sexy Shrimp and the Blue Tuxedo Urchin. Both hermits will go into the Oceanic & My little Yellow Clown Goby most likely go to the Nuvo. I want to try to somehow influence the bigger brittle sea star in the Spec V to leave his rock and become a resident in the Nuvo also.

I'll play around with the live rock to see where I want that to go between the two tanks as well. And then the live sand will be split somewhere 50/50 or 60/40 between the two tanks.

Not sure when this will happen... but I'm mostly sure it will happen. I've enjoyed the Spec V, but right now I'm really liking my bigger tanks.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am planning on taking this tank down, but now I'm thinking after I move all the residents to my two other tanks, I could then possibly use this Spec V for raising pods for a possible Mandarin for my 30 gallon.

In time, I'd like to build a sump/fuge for my 30 gallon cube to do it that way. But for now, I'm thinking this might be a good use for the Spec V, instead iof it sitting on a shelf empty..

Thoughts...???

Ordered a 2nd Mini-Jet 606 for the Spec V tank. This will get my "Max flow" up to 306 GPH with two Mini-Jet 606s in the 5 gallon tank.

(Currently have stock the Fluval Spec V 83 GPH, Mini-Jet 606 153 GPH & a Fluval Spec pump at about 40 GPH, for a total of 276 GPH)

Once I get the second Mini-Jet, I will install my new Loc-Line fittings to give one of the Mini-Jets a dual flow with a Y fitting. This will give the tank 3 directions of flow with the two Mini-Jet 606 pumps

Zoas & Palys really seem to like the flow.

what size loc-line did you get to fit the fluval spec V tank. i thought it was 1/2...since i never had loc-line before and had to buy them online...so i got these huge 1/2 loc-line now lol.

With the 2 mini jet 606 how are you keeping it from overflowing in the main display. i have mini jet 606(not at full) and the stock pump running and there is only like 1/8" left before my tank overflows!

what size loc-line did you get to fit the fluval spec V tank. i thought it was 1/2...since i never had loc-line before and had to buy them online...so i got these huge 1/2 loc-line now lol.

With the 2 mini jet 606 how are you keeping it from overflowing in the main display. i have mini jet 606(not at full) and the stock pump running and there is only like 1/8" left before my tank overflows!

I had a whoops buying loc-line, I too bought 1/2" first not knowing the size was massive compared to the stock fittings. Then I bought 1/4", which also didn't fit onto the stock Fluval stuff (the 1/4" is slightly big as well). I ended up just staying with two of the stock Fluval nozzles.

As for the flow of two Mini-Jet 606s, I never had the tank come close to overflowing. My overflow was never modified with any acrylic or similar to make the opening smaller. That may be why my Spec V ran ok with the dual 606s. The problem I ended up with is, I believe the flow was just too high for my zoas to handle, so I ended up going back to the stock Fluval (83GPH) and an Eheim Compact 300 (80GPH).

Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Well... I have to announce that this Spec V reef has been retired. I emptied most of it yesterday, and put most of the residents into my Nuvo 16 reef. The remaining few snails went into my Oceanic 30 gallon cube, and so will most of the rocks.

It was a good run. No major problems, good learning experience. If it is started back up in the future, I will focus on getting better lighting on it.

The only real reason to retire my Spec V, is because I started up the Nuvo 16 & the Oceanic 30, and I do enjoy the slightly larger amount of real estate. That and I'm running 10 small freshwater tanks as well.

• 6 months later...
Boneshaker

OK... The same as my "Pile Of Rocks" Spec... I tried to place these pics back into the correct order in posts in my retired thread. (There may be some photos that are in the incorect posts)

Archived