Cultivated Reef

Fluval Spec V - Tres Islas Pequeñas (RETIRED: 10-30-13)

Boneshaker

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought maybe I was having a slight ammonia spike... trying to save my Cleaner Shrimp who doesn't look like it's taking the spike too well.

Turns out the water sample checked out fine.

Well... I did a one gallon water change, and my cleaner shrimp seems to be slipping away. I just put it in an isolation box in my tank to keep my crabs from tearing it apart too soon. Time will tell...

Also took a water sample down to my LFS... it actually showed almost 0 ammonia. Now we're wondering if it's just an older cleaner shrimp and maybe age caught up with it.

Looks like the great tank. I am planning on starting a pico at the end of this month. Right now the Fluval V is my plan pending what Pico Aquariums has when the site gets back up. Is the stock pump not enough for this tank? I see that you (and a few others) have added an extra powerhead. Whats your conclusion on the stock lighting? I am hoping to get a AIO tank that has the best stock parts to keep down on initial start up cost.

Looks like the great tank. I am planning on starting a pico at the end of this month. Right now the Fluval V is my plan pending what Pico Aquariums has when the site gets back up. Is the stock pump not enough for this tank? I see that you (and a few others) have added an extra powerhead. Whats your conclusion on the stock lighting? I am hoping to get a AIO tank that has the best stock parts to keep down on initial start up cost.

The stock pump in mine was labeled for up to 83/GPH. I added a second pump, an Eheim Compact 300 rated for 80/GPH. So between the two I have about 1863/GPH flow in my 5 gallon Spec V.

The stock lighting only has white LEDs. It's enough light to light the tank, just not enough for corals, IMO. I will be replacing that also in the future.

you should look into sexy shrimp

I have one Sexy Shrimp in my 2 gallon Spec reef, they're neat.

• 2 weeks later...

Added these little guys yesterday. Two little Ocellaris Clowns. They're both just a little over one inch long.

10308204_10202846250652326_5932870364647

I also rubberbanded 3 cuttings of Green Star Polyps onto 3 pieces of rubble rock.

Good thing I did some reading on the subject of Maxi-Minis. I was going to buy one today and split it, to have two in my Spec V, and after reading up, it doesn't seem to be a very good idea with my fish in such a small tank. Really don't want to lose any of my Clowns or my (future) Goby.

Soooo... looks like no Maxi Minis for me in this tank.

Update: I am still using the stock Fluval Spec V LED light. I just ordered an Ecoxotic Blue/Magenta Stunner & reflector to go along with an 8000K white Stunner and power supply I bought a couple months ago. I have been using the 8000K stunner on a fresh water tank for a while. Hopefully this will be enough light for my Spec V until I get around to building an arm for mounting an Ecoxotic Panorama Pro on it.

Velcro'd on a 8,000K Stunner to the stock Fluval light. Have a Blue/Magenta Stunner on the way.

FTS: 2-28-13

10298886_10202846250412320_5350181566599

Hawaiian Zebra Hermit playing King of The Mountain today.

10363392_10202846247732253_7533690359504

Added a nice rock covered with pink Zoas today.

10313988_10202846275172939_9797594212442

Trying to open, but my large Blue Leg Hermit decided to check out the new addition.

10390258_10202846251252341_3501034525444

IMO both the clownfish and urchin will outgrow this tank. Otherwise it looks great!

Thanks. Hopefully if everything goes to plan, by the time these guys outgrow this Spec V, I will have changed my 30 gallon Oceanic Cube from a Cichlid tank to a 30 gallon reef. Hopefully...

Soooo... I have this habit of looking at my two Spec reefs through a magnifying glass. I really like seeing stuff up close. I was doing this tonight after adding my new Zoanthid colony. As I'm checking it out, I see something moving amongst the closed polyps...

Grreeeeeaaaat.... a Nudibranch.

Grreeeattttt... Spotted a Nudibranch - on the right side of the closed polyp just to the right of the eye shaped hole in the rock.

10390258_10202846251252341_3501034525444

I couldn't take it anymore. I pulled my new Zoa rock out to pick the Nudi off of it. It was causing too much damage to the colony. I got my Salifert Flatworm eXit today and will be dosing my Spec V at some point in the next couple days.

your nudi is exactly why I dipped my little bunch of zoas. a couple came off and some weird little slug/worm/alien thing, too. glad I did before putting that into my tank. everything is looking great, though! I love your rock pillar structure!

your nudi is exactly why I dipped my little bunch of zoas. a couple came off and some weird little slug/worm/alien thing, too. glad I did before putting that into my tank. everything is looking great, though! I love your rock pillar structure!

Thanks.

I dosed with Salifert Flatworm eXit earlier today. Saw two more Nudis wither up and die. Everything else seems OK for the time being. Hopefully I'm on the right track. I really didn't see any flatworms come out of the rocks, so I'm not sure how many may or may not be in my Spec V.

Archived