Top Shelf Aquatics

Fluval Spec V - Tres Islas Pequeñas (RETIRED: 10-30-13)

Boneshaker

Ugh... was chipping away at my live rock to make a nice archway swim thru... and I broke my rock in two.

How are you guys using the Purigen...??? In a media bag in place of carbon...??? Building your own media racks...???

I'm kind of bummin'. After breaking that rock, all I have right now is a basic three rock island look. It's kind of neat... but it's no swim thru.

• Like 1
  • Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the same tank and its been running for about a month now. I really like the double nozzle, but think I would just screw it up if i tried to drill the tank.

I used a step drill bit with two cutting edges, and slowly spun the drill until I had a hole big enough for the nozzle fitting. Wasn't that hard to do, but I was also concerned about breaking the glass. I tried to get my hole as close to the glass as I could.

Purigen I think will take the place of your carbon, they serve the same functions although I'm not sure if Purigen removes inoragnic compounds.

• Like 1

What my scape looks like so far. Plain and simplistic... yet pleasing to the eye at the same time.

10264758_10202846248812280_7309596729036

The water is still cloudy.

I have a rock similar in size to the rock on the right that has lot of coralline on it. It doesn't match like these 3 rocks do. I'm thinking about breaking it into smaller rubble pieces and placing the smaller rubble here and there around my 3 islands, for some instant purple.

Wall side... except I've already moved the small rock that is sitting between the main left one and the center rock.

10338254_10202846244692177_3868324800232

This was kind of hiding inside the rock I smashed up.

10325770_10202846249732303_7727523225682

I keep looking at it, picturing how crabs, shrimp, snails, fish, etc will be manuvering over & throughout the scape... and I tried to position everything where I will be able to hit almost all the glass with the mini mag-float.

In the planted tanks I place my purigen in the last basket of my container filter..I never kept carbon in the baskets after I started using the purigen..I think I'm going to bag the purigen for the Fluval V and place it in bottom of the overflow and then my bio media and then floss on top

Your scape looks really good! I haven't ordered my live rock or sand yet..how many pounds of each did you use please?? Thank you

Your scape looks really good! I haven't ordered my live rock or sand yet..how many pounds of each did you use please?? Thank you

Thanks. I put in about 6 pounds of live sand. I bought 8.5 pounds of live rock, but after cutting and hammering, I have a little over 6-7 pounds in the tank.

All I have is a portion of the original coarse sponge shoved into the chamber slightly below the grates and then a bonded filter pad on top.

Don't have anything else in the back chambers other than my two pumps and a heater.

Got my Purigen yesterday. Now to find some sort of media bag to put it in. I'd like to get a few bags, and try it in some of my fresh water tanks also. The stuff is so fine tho... Any suggestions for media bags for Purigen...??? Thanks

Seachem bag is only ones I've found to work..everything else was too porous..the 100ml packages come already sealed in their own bag..more expensive in long ring but not by much and well worth the headache of trying to put the loose in another bag not made for the purigen

Starting to see some hitchhikers after running for a week. On one of my pieces of rubble, I see a brittle sea star hanging out. I also spotted two lovely bristle worms today. I also believe I have a small aiptasia on the same rubble that the brittle sea star is hanging out in.

Wondering... How many crabs can I pack into this 5 gallon Spec...??? I have 6 hermits in there now, 3 being medium sized & the other 3 being a little bigger than a pea.

I found a Hawaiian Strawberry Crab that's been at one LFS for a couple weeks, It's pretty cool to me. And looking into 1 or 2 Halloween leg hermits. Possibly a Pom Pom or two...

Sometimes think I might not put any fish into this tank. Might also do very limited corals.

Also thinking about throwing a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp in.

Thoughts...???

Archived