Coral Vue Hydros

Fluval Spec V - My First Nano/Pico

icedearth15324

icedearth15324

I picked up a Fluval Spec V on black friday looking to build a small nano freshwater or brackish tank for my room. After doing some research, and seeing some other tanks, I decided to go the route of a nano reef with it.

Edit: Adding in a current list of my livestock

Fish:

-1 Semi-Picasso Percula Clown

-1 Percula Clown

Invertebrates:

-1 Emerald Crab

-1 Pompom Crab

-1 Maxi/mini Anemone

-1 Blue-Legged Hermit Crab

-1 Electric Blue Hermit Crab

-3 Astrea Snails

-3 Nassarius Snails

Corals:

-Xenia

-Joker Zoa

-Red Mushroom

-Ricordia Mushroom

-Torch Coral

Day 1 - Added 10 pounds of live sand, and 5 gallons of pre-mixed saltwater from my LFS.

post-78101-0-19679300-1357145543_thumb.jpg

Day 2 - Added 3 pounds of premium live rock from my LFS, as well as added a heater in the spill-off compartment. Keeps my temperature steady at around 77F.

post-78101-0-52431500-1357145556_thumb.jpg

Day 4 - Added 3 more pounds of live rock from a different LFS. Also upgraded the lighting to a higher-powered LED setup. 50/50 lights of white and blue. (pic looks bad).

post-78101-0-50746600-1357145557_thumb.jpg

Day 5 - Rearranged live rock. Basic algae beginning to form on original live rock. Added a Koralia Hydor 240 powerhead to increase water movement.

post-78101-0-97606600-1357145557_thumb.jpg

Full view of tank

post-78101-0-49550400-1357145558_thumb.jpg

Day 7 - Seeing pods running around the tank at night, seeing legs of a possible starfish.

Day 12 - Algae beginning to spread, bought basic cleanup crew consisting of 2 Astrea Snails, 2 Dwarf Blue-Legged Hermit Crabs, and 1 Electric Blue Hermit Crab.

Dwarf Blue-Legged Hermit Crab

post-78101-0-99398100-1357145558_thumb.jpg

Electric Blue Hermit Crab

post-78101-0-28176900-1357145877_thumb.jpg

Day 14 - Was able to snap a picture of a hitchhiker Mini Brittle Starfish.

Mini-Brittle Starfish

post-78101-0-74606400-1357145876_thumb.jpg

icedearth15324

Part 2

Day 16 - Algae beginning to spread even more. More diverse styles appearing. Bought an emerald crab to help.

Emerald Crab

post-78101-0-40711900-1357146373_thumb.jpg

Day 20 - Was at the LFS and found a semi-Picasso Percula Clownfish on sale. Only 1 left, so I picked him up. He's a little over an inch long.

Semi-Picasso Percula Clownfish

post-78101-0-45920500-1357146374_thumb.jpg

Day 25 - Picked up a Red Scooter Blenny for my tank. I new it would be a more difficult fish to keep, and it can get large. I intend on eventually moving him into a larger tank. I discovered he enjoys burying himself in the sand every night.

Red Scooter Blenny

post-78101-0-22193600-1357146377_thumb.jpg

Red Scooter Blenny Sleeping

post-78101-0-93541800-1357146377_thumb.jpg

Day 30 - Picked up a maxi-mini anemone for my tank. Initially placed it near the bottom, but decided to move it to the top near the water flow. It has not yet fully opened up, but I am seeing it respond to stimuli and feeding.

Maxi-Mini Anemone

post-78101-0-40211200-1357146511_thumb.jpg

Maxi-Mini Anemone with mouth open eating mysis shrimp

post-78101-0-93320000-1357146511_thumb.jpg

I'm letting the tank settle now, and will begin getting some corals within the next couple weeks.

You're going to have to "dose" live pods for that scooter. Either that or get him frozen trained asap. He's gonna starve in a heartbeat in that tank.

For increased water movement I would just upgrade the original pump to the mini jet 606 and remove the hydor 240. Keeps a sleek look in the display.

For increased water movement I would just upgrade the original pump to the mini jet 606 and remove the hydor 240. Keeps a sleek look in the display.

just remove the top and bottom pieces of the pump. the return isnt strong enough to keep sps, but if you remove the nozzle you'll get the full blast and its pretty strong.

icedearth15324

Thanks for the responses. I'll look into the pump options.

My dad works at a steel mill and is going to be making me a custom hanger for my lighting, so it won't be so close to the water, as well as will be a solid piece of aluminum instead of me screwing my lights into the original hanger.

Any updates?? Mine is here on monday..havnt ordered everything for it yet!! Reading reading and more reading on what everyone is doing with their spec v..thanks so far looking great

icedearth15324

I ended up giving my scooter blenny to my brother, I figured it'd be a little happier in his 30 gallon reef. I also ended up picking up another clownfish, and the two are actually getting along well.

I removed my hydor nano for the time being. I also ordered a Hydor Pico Evolution mini-pump 100gph, gonna see how well I can get it fitted into the tank.

Also in the process of making a custom media basket.I have some seagel and purigen on order. Gonna also put some small pieces of live rock in the basket.

Hopefully by this time next week I will have my first corals in the tank.

icedearth15324

just remove the top and bottom pieces of the pump. the return isnt strong enough to keep sps, but if you remove the nozzle you'll get the full blast and its pretty strong.

I actually don't have many plans for SPS in this tank. However, what kind of flow do you think I would need to keep like a frogspawn, hammer or torch coral? Or would you not recommend any of those in such a small tank? Otherwise I just intend on getting soft corals and maybe a RBTA or GBTA.

icedearth15324

My new pump came in, it just barely fits where the other one goes. So for future references, the Hydor Pico Evolution 100gph is an acceptable replacement for the stock pump. However it can be a little loud since it is so close to fitting, it tens to vibrate against the glass a little bit.

Since I found the idea to make dual pumps after I already filled my tank, I'm going to buy some pieces that will allow the return to go over the wall and into the tank.

http://www.aquacave.com/U-Tube-outflow-device-for-canister-filters-reactors-and-SCWD-wave-device-P437C593.aspx

I'm gonna order one of these and have it go over. It won't look as nice as drilling, but it'll work.

Unless someone can think of a good way to drill a hole even with water and livestock in the tank.

icedearth15324

Here's an update:

While I was at work today, my maxi-mini anemone decided it wanted to be lower in my tank, so it dragged the piece of live rock it was on to the bottom.

I picked up a pom pom crab yesterday, and he had both of his poms. I also picked up a pulsating Zenia and red mushroom frag. My dad also finished making me the new hanger for my lighting, and it looks awesome. It is 2 inches taller than the stock lighting, and is a piece of solid aluminum instead of plastic and aluminum. Pics to follow:

My Pom Pom Crab (bad photo)

post-78101-0-25648500-1357695172_thumb.jpg

My Semi-Picasso Percula saying hello

post-78101-0-77768600-1357695176_thumb.jpg

Pulsating Xenia, my first coral, not fully opened because I changed my lighting

post-78101-0-67484600-1357695181_thumb.jpg

My maxi-mini Anemone in its new location

post-78101-0-49362400-1357695187_thumb.jpg

My red mushroom frag

post-78101-0-85068000-1357695193_thumb.jpg

And my current FTS - you can notice the higher lighting

post-78101-0-27029600-1357695190_thumb.jpg

And just to show the difference between the stock and new hanger

post-78101-0-63732400-1357695261_thumb.jpg

I drilled my back wall for the second pump with my livestock in it since I had to wait for a new nozzle/tube. Drained the tank halfway and just drill with a step/uni-bit.

I'm really wanting to build/bend a new arm for my light too but I don't think a straight piece would be thick enough for me to mount my LEDs straight to it.

icedearth15324

I drilled my back wall for the second pump with my livestock in it since I had to wait for a new nozzle/tube. Drained the tank halfway and just drill with a step/uni-bit.

I'm really wanting to build/bend a new arm for my light too but I don't think a straight piece would be thick enough for me to mount my LEDs straight to it.

Did you do anything else to collect the plastic dust or any other precautions? I'm just afraid of the dust getting in the water.

Also, where did you order the other nozzle/tube from?

Did you do anything else to collect the plastic dust or any other precautions? I'm just afraid of the dust getting in the water.

Also, where did you order the other nozzle/tube from?

I started to float a napkin under where I was drilling but it didn't make a difference, the back chamber just push the sponge down below where you are drilling and that can be easily pulled up to catch out all the shavings, inside the tank I just siphoned it out. It wasn't much since most of it came out as one long spiral.

The nozzle I ordered from Fluval

icedearth15324

I started to float a napkin under where I was drilling but it didn't make a difference, the back chamber just push the sponge down below where you are drilling and that can be easily pulled up to catch out all the shavings, inside the tank I just siphoned it out. It wasn't much since most of it came out as one long spiral.

Awesome, thanks so much for the information.

icedearth15324

I have my nozzle on order from Fluval, should be here by monday. Once it arrives I will drill the hole, and install my second pump. Gonna check out a new LFS this saturday too, might get some good stuff.

I want to drill my tank like yours, but the only place if confuse at is what does your filter chamber look like now? do you still have the stock sponge, carbon and bio bag? how do the pump and tube not get in the way of the filter sponge?

icedearth15324

I want to drill my tank like yours, but the only place if confuse at is what does your filter chamber look like now? do you still have the stock sponge, carbon and bio bag? how do the pump and tube not get in the way of the filter sponge?

I believe they are using a custom media tray. I have one as well, so I can easily fit a pump under my media tray.

I built my media tray using eggcrates from Home Depot. I just got my shipment of purigen and seagel yesterday, so I'll be putting them in soon, and replace the stock carbon.

icedearth15324

post-78101-0-84615800-1357956816_thumb.jpg

Just installed my second pump.

And because it looked awesome before I started draining the tank:

My Maxi-Mini in full display

post-78101-0-83336500-1357956838_thumb.jpg

Archived