Pod Your Reef

the procrastination tank. engaged!

amored

Yeah I know what you mean, I had two croceas, one kinda similar to yours. It took over a week to get them set foot onto the glass underneath the sand bed...otherwise, they'd keep falling to the side and sand fluffs everywhere. How deep is the sand bed?

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I know what you mean, I had two croceas, one kinda similar to yours. It took over a week to get them set foot onto the glass underneath the sand bed...otherwise, they'd keep falling to the side and sand fluffs everywhere. How deep is the sand bed?

2", just decorative.

I don't normally like the look of the black/white cardinals but it's very suitable in your tank. Looks great :D

thanks! i wanted something that could stand up to the dottyback but wouldn't harass the other residents. i've always liked the minimalist look of the banggais. i think a ricordea-only nano with a school of banggais would be so awesome. maybe a project tank for the BF.

so i'm curious about my dosing schedule. right now i am dosing alkalinity once per week, and magnesium and calcium every day as my levels of both were low (1200 and 350, respectively). i do both calcium and mag one after the other in the mid-morning and alkalinity after i test (to see if it's needed) so the time of day varies. once calc and mag levels are up to par i will reduce dosing for maintenance. thoughts?

also, my clam has stopped moving about, but still hasn't attached. i tried putting it on a rock, beside a rock, above a rock buried in the sand, and on the sand. nothing. is this normal? i've only had it since tuesday.

• 3 weeks later...
SquishyFishy

Your tank is lovely Amored. Thanks for the help with fish suggestions. I love your ricordia and the neon goby is spectacular...thinking about that one already.

I got the Nuvo 16, my DH was good to me and hated the acrylic tank when it got here...so told me "Go get the Nuvo"

I can only aspire to have a tank as nice as yours.

Your tank is lovely Amored. Thanks for the help with fish suggestions. I love your ricordia and the neon goby is spectacular...thinking about that one already.

I got the Nuvo 16, my DH was good to me and hated the acrylic tank when it got here...so told me "Go get the Nuvo"

I can only aspire to have a tank as nice as yours.

thanks! it's a work in progress. currently dealing with some bleaching from my stylophora piece due to light overexposure. feel free to ask if you have any questions.

so, my tiny hawkins blue frag disappeared the other day. i think my turbo snail knocked it down and it got buried in the sand somehow… haven't been able to find it, poor thing. other than that, everything is doing well. a few patches of cyano here and there but much better than it was before i changed out the sandbed. my poor stylophora that i nearly cooked to death is coming back, it's been on the sandbed for a while now. about 4 days ago i put it back up top, but it promptly started bleaching again. i think i'll have to make a space elsewhere for it. i might move the duncans (see my sig pic) to where the stylo was and vice versa, the duncans have never been bothered by the light.

also, MY CLAM ATTACHED, YOU GUYS!

it LIKES me! :happydance:

but srsly. it's so happy it's growing algae on it's shell… i think that's okay, right?

unfortunately when i returned from a short vacation earlier this week i found my clam to be sick and not responsive. this morning he wouldn't open up at all and there was no muscle response so i went ahead and pulled him. huge bummer. according to zeph and others on NR the croceas need tons of light and unbeknownst to me the clam apparently wasn't getting enough. an unfortunate lesson learned. i think i'll be staying away from a clam in this tank.

reefernanoman

so i'm curious about my dosing schedule. right now i am dosing alkalinity once per week, and magnesium and calcium every day as my levels of both were low (1200 and 350, respectively). i do both calcium and mag one after the other in the mid-morning and alkalinity after i test (to see if it's needed) so the time of day varies. once calc and mag levels are up to par i will reduce dosing for maintenance. thoughts?

also, my clam has stopped moving about, but still hasn't attached. i tried putting it on a rock, beside a rock, above a rock buried in the sand, and on the sand. nothing. is this normal? i've only had it since tuesday.

I have a 28g nanocube and SW tanks since 2005 and I never dose anything or use skimmers, reactors or other stuff like that (I do have a good light and MP10). My fish and corals do great with just weekly religious 3 gallon water changes. Chemipure and purigen are my friends together with filter floss to keep things simple.

…. according to zeph and others on NR the croceas need tons of light and unbeknownst to me the clam apparently wasn't getting enough….

The Maxspect Razor was insufficient for the clam? I have one ready for a new build and that bums me out as eventually I would have liked to add a clam…. :(

Sorry for the loss of the clam :( Maybe try and easier kind?

The Maxspect Razor was insufficient for the clam? I have one ready for a new build and that bums me out as eventually I would have liked to add a clam…. :(

Some clams don't need as much light as others so it would really depend on the type of clam. Crocea's are light greedy I guess.

i don't think it was insufficient at all. some backstory: i had bought a magenta stylophora and monti cap from DD and placed them in the top 1/3 of the tank directly under the lights (set at 85% or so for 3 hours a day) and (in hindsight, somewhat obviously) they began bleaching. they're doing better now recovering on the sandbed. ANYWAY because of this i shortened my photoperiod and reduced the light intensity down to 65% for only 2 hours a day, and i think this is what did it. honestly the clam looked perfectly healthy until it wasn't and as such i had no idea it was receiving insufficient lighting.

lesson learned but i'm still pretty bummed.

I'm sorry about the clam, amored. Thank you for the more detailed explanation. I'm getting my equipment together to start a Nuvo 16 build soon and I'm inspired by your tank.

I'm sorry about the clam, amored. Thank you for the more detailed explanation. I'm getting my equipment together to start a Nuvo 16 build soon and I'm inspired by your tank.

thanks! i love this tank and would highly recommend it. and the razor is a great light. my only complaint is that the rear chamber is a bit small to hold a really powerful pump, so i have the vortech to compensate. great setup overall.

• 1 month later...

so a small update:

after several rounds of equipment failure (first the heater causing the temp to drop to 70* from 79*, then the return pump blew up) and a nasty nitrate spike, i am pleased to say that only one casualty was suffered: my banggai. there was fairly significant damage done to my red montipora digitata and my green/purple cap, but they are both coming back fabulously. the cap has excellent polyp extension and is regaining its green skin color slowly but surely, and the digitata has regrown about 25% of what it lost. my stylophora has been fragged down to cut the losses but is still a largish colony and only has a few small problem spots left.

i have since added 5 red mangrove propagules, beefed up my CUC, and added a trio of copper cardinals (who were shipped from LA/DD with some sort of ich or other illness.... :rant:). the fish are so far doing fine, i am dosing with garlic extreme and vitamins once weekly. my cleaner shrimp keep trying to clean them but they're belligerent little f*ckers. i also got a rainbow goniopora and a blue goniopora, and a 2" frag of borealis acropora. all are doing very well.

my water params are once again very good, though i am upping my magnesium dosing due to a small bryopsis outbreak.

i'll have some more pictures soon!

• 4 weeks later...

Archived