Top Shelf Aquatics

the procrastination tank. engaged!

amored

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So nice! Love the scape and the gorgs...they kinda make it look full. And the white background is pretty cool too. Makes everything look brighter.

thanks!

PS- nano-reefers from australia make me so jealous! whereabouts are you from?

I'm from Adelaide, South Australia. I can't see why you would be jealous though, you have so much more variety in the US, not to mention cheaper prices :). We do have awesome weather and great marine parks though :D.

I'm from Adelaide, South Australia. I can't see why you would be jealous though, you have so much more variety in the US, not to mention cheaper prices :). We do have awesome weather and great marine parks though :D.

maybe so, but you can reasonably hope to go to the GBR at some point in your life! not me :(

maybe so, but you can reasonably hope to go to the GBR at some point in your life! not me :(

Yep the GBR was definitely an experience, went up with teh family when i was 12 or 13, spent all day snorkeling with the fishies. I'd love to go back one day but would definitely be getting my scuba license first. I'm sure you'll make it there someday.

just ordered my last fish for this tank and 4 sexy shrimp from blue zoo. i picked a tailspot blenny instead of the goby/pistol combo, mostly because i've had both before and TSB's are usually very active and have great personalities. they get here on thursday and i'm mad excited!

so, the tailspot blenny is getting a bit more courageous every day, but he's a little guy and still scares easily. the boyfriend has named him albert, though i've taken to calling him alby since he's so small.

oh, and he may be terrified because his first experience in the tank was watching my sixline pick off each and every one of the sexy shrimp systematically over the course of three hours. poor thing spent two days in a box with those guys, only to witness a horrible sexy shrimp genocide.

needless to say i am happy i ordered the $8.50 sexies and not the $30 pederson's, since that's entirely too much money to spend on fish food.

i'll go with some skunk cleaners that are of an intimidating size to valentine, the sixline dictator.

:mellow:

so, the tailspot blenny is getting a bit more courageous every day, but he's a little guy and still scares easily. the boyfriend has named him albert, though i've taken to calling him alby since he's so small.

oh, and he may be terrified because his first experience in the tank was watching my sixline pick off each and every one of the sexy shrimp systematically over the course of three hours. poor thing spent two days in a box with those guys, only to witness a horrible sexy shrimp genocide.

needless to say i am happy i ordered the $8.50 sexies and not the $30 pederson's, since that's entirely too much money to spend on fish food.

i'll go with some skunk cleaners that are of an intimidating size to valentine, the sixline dictator.

:mellow:

Sorry to hear about the sexy shrimp :(. I wanted to get some so badly but have never seen them for sale here in Australia.

Sorry to hear about the sexy shrimp :(. I wanted to get some so badly but have never seen them for sale here in Australia.

Check your barbie ;-)

anddddd the TSB was dead when i woke up. what the hell?! everything from that order died. i have no idea what happened. he seemed fine...

I went to the Great Barrier Reef. I was 2, scared of the water, and didn't appreciate the experience :(

Also, sorry about the tailspot blenny. They're fun colors and blennies are great anyway. Sucks. I've never ordered fish before, I usually just buy them at my LFS or have them do a special order for me. Then I let it sit for a week in their tanks and see what happens.

ordered a large linear blenny and a mated pair of scarlet cleaner shrimp from LA/DD. they get in tomorrow, hopefully the larger sizes mean more robust specimens, because that last order was a sh!tshow.

also, i went to claim credit on the TSB that died mysteriously, and of course he died the day after blue zoo's crappy conditional 7 day guarantee. it figures. i've always had great experiences with LA so i'm confident i will have three happy and healthy new tankmates by tomorrow afternoon.

:)

If you're still looking for a Pedersons shrimp sealifeinc.net has them right now for $14.00. They also have the spotted anemone cleaner shrimp. Goooo!

• 3 weeks later...

bah. well someone name me a good active swimmer that's not aggressive, not ugly, and will fit in a 16.

6 line wrasse very active

• 4 weeks later...

alright everyone, a post finals week update, with some bad news.

so, long story short, all 3 of my fish have died from parasitic infections in the last 3 weeks. as soon as i saw signs, i QT'd and treated, and all showed significant improvement, but when i reintroduced them back into the tank, they all died in a week. this was really a bummer for me as i feel i'm far from a novice hobbyist and have kept many difficult animals successfully, but i suppose everyone has their first experience with parasites at some point. (as a note, all fish were QT'd prior to introduction and were fine. this means the parasites were in my tank already, and i suspect the LFS where i purchased my rock as i have since gone back and seen over 75% of their fish sick with parasites or fungal infections)

AAAAANYWAY, i have taken this opportunity as a blessing in disguise, as i leave for tokyo in a month and will be gone for the following two. my boyfriend is knowledgable and will be taking care of the tank, but with a bioload of basically zero and no fish to worry about, it will be easier for him.

i took the liberty of finding a new LFS, about 40 minutes away in warwick, RI. the tanks are clean and all livestock healthy, so to try them out i picked up a great colony of really unique looking duncans (at least to me, i know some of you have seen everything) and a 2x2" frag of green monti cap. i do believe there is enough lighting for both and they are in the top 1/2 of the tank, directly under a fixture. the monti is fully opened and looks happy after less than an hour in the tank, and the duncans are beginning to open. i will post updated pictures when everyone is happy.

lastly, i bought a lot more snails, as i have a bit of GHA appearing. so far they only seem to nom on diatoms though. considering a tuxedo urchin.

• 2 weeks later...

Your tank looks really promising, I think.

Sad about your fish though :( I hope you get back on track when you return.

quick update. my pair of scarlet cleaner shrimp are spawning! it's pretty neat to watch. all livestock are healthy, though i had a bad experience with a damsel last week (he died, but by my own hand. bought him to see if the parasites were gone, and realized he was eating my dun cans. took the whole tank apart to get the bastard). also redid my scape a bit. water quality is very good- i ordered a phosphate test kit (salifert) and a TDS meter from marinedepot and both are 0! well my TDS is 3, but i think that's okay. however, my green monti cap is still bleaching, no idea why.

• 4 months later...

so, hey, i'm back from the dead! here's some updates:

1. i was in tokyo all summer for my preliminary dissertation research. turns out i'm no longer doing my research in tokyo, however, it was a lovely time, and they have some amazing aquariums there! i will post pictures soon.

2. this tank was in rough shape when i returned, but for 2 months i've been nursing it back to health, and i'm pleased to say it's currently the best it's been! very good water params and a bunch of great new corals.

3. i upgraded my light as a birthday present to myself. maxspect razor 16K. at first i didn't like it but now i love the damn thing. best $423 i ever spent.

4. new stock list:

CORALS:

ricordea garden c/o colin @ aquascapers

assorted vice zoas

GSP

xenia

hawkins blue enchinata

NPS yellow sea fan (eating rotifers nightly)

PS tan gorg

candy apple torch

vice zoas

pot of gold favia

9+heads duncans

LIVESTOCK:

starry blenny (wilfred)

blue neon goby (bert)

mated pair skunk/scarlet cleaner shrimp (OC and dee)

tuxedo urchin (bowser)

assorted CUC (including a porcelain crab, somewhere)

PARAMS:

SG: 1.025

ph: 8.1 steady

dkh: 8.4 (a bit high, cutting back on my dosing)

mag: 1300

nitrate: 0.2 ppm

phosphate: undetectable

FEEDING:

fish/critters fed vegetarian pellets/sea greens 3x weekly

NPS gorg fed rotifers nightly

MAINTENANCE:

daily top-offs with RO/DI (manual, my JBJ never worked right...)

testing once weekly

dose aquavitro reef fuel 2x weekly

w/c every week(ish), 4G (25%) with aquavitro salinity

pictures coming soon!

• 1 month later...

so this tank is about to be a year old! quite a lot has changed over the year, but i have added some things and some things have died/been removed.

i added a 3.5" crocea clam from DD about a week ago. it seems to be doing great although it hasn't attached its foot yet. my starry blenny was nipping at the mantle so he went back to the LFS (you are missed, wilfred!) and i got a peaceful banggai cardinal to replace him, who is also doing very well. yesterday i got in a big shipment of corals from DD as an early christmas present to myself. got a great big hunk of magenta stylophora, a big green with pink polyp montipora cap, a purple with red polyp branching montipora, and a big piece of prism favia. my boyfriend has the photography skills so he took some pictures for me.

enjoy!

current FTS 12/12/13

wholetank4.jpg

top-down

toptank.jpg

duncans, ricordea garden, gorgonian, and hawkins blue enchinata

duncanricordia.jpg

DD prism favia

lps.jpg

ricordea garden (and pot of gold favia)

ricordia2.jpg

banggai cardinal and prism favia

cardinallps.jpg

banggai cardinal

cardinal.jpg

crocea clam

Clam.jpg

neat-o corner shot

corner.jpg

crocea clam and hard-to-photograph neon dottyback

dottieclam.jpg

Nice looking crocea. :)

thanks! it's doing pretty well but the gosh darned thing won't put it's foot down, haha. i gave it a rock, it didn't like the rock, i moved it to the sand, it fell over… i figure it will find itself a good spot. the vortech was kicking up some sand though so i moved it (the mp10) up a bit and that seemed to help. don't want to clog up the gills.

Archived