Pod Your Reef

the procrastination tank. engaged!

amored

Those clowns are probably expensive as well........

Have you gotten the rocks yet?

nope, picking them up this weekend. going with the realreef from the LFS, seems nice and it's only $8, not bad. it's not from a system with a whole lot of pests either, and it's already cured so i don't expect much of a cycle. i'm thinking of doing a 1" sugar-sand bed.

• Like 1
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Still pretty expensive....lolol.

Regular black clowns are half or less of that price.

Yea, they're $110 on aquacon.com (from ORA). Pretty expensive if you ask me, but so cool looking.

Maybe a green clown gobbie? I've always been a fan, but they pick at SPS so they've been a no-no in my tanks.

i've always heard weird things about clown gobies. it seems i'm constantly coming along a story about one terrorizing something-or-other in somebody's tank. i do know people who have them and have really liked them though. aren't they perchers? i plan on having a large ric garden and i don't want them getting irritated.

i've always heard weird things about clown gobies. it seems i'm constantly coming along a story about one terrorizing something-or-other in somebody's tank. i do know people who have them and have really liked them though. aren't they perchers? i plan on having a large ric garden and i don't want them getting irritated.

I have a green clown gobie in my 30G cube nad have never had an issue with him. He is quite sociable, particularly at feeding time and he has never harrased anything in my tank, he is quite placid. He was really shy when I first introduced him to my tank, would always hide when my firefish came out but now I see him all the time sitting between my mushies or between my acans. They are perchers but I have very rarely seen mine actually sitting on my corals, mostly near them. He has actually become much more active since I introduced more corals, I guess he likes the colours haha. He even sleeps with my two clown fish on the front glass at night.

I have a green clown gobie in my 30G cube nad have never had an issue with him. He is quite sociable, particularly at feeding time and he has never harrased anything in my tank, he is quite placid. He was really shy when I first introduced him to my tank, would always hide when my firefish came out but now I see him all the time sitting between my mushies or between my acans. They are perchers but I have very rarely seen mine actually sitting on my corals, mostly near them. He has actually become much more active since I introduced more corals, I guess he likes the colours haha. He even sleeps with my two clown fish on the front glass at night.

hmm, i'll have to look into them then. i do like the coloring of them.

in other news...

THAR SHE FLOWS! leak test was successful! picking up LR on monday!

:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

post-47862-0-80535800-1359833182_thumb.jpg

THE CYCLE HAS BEGUN!

BUT not without a few problems. i ordered a mighty mite RO/DI from iball1804 a few weeks ago and got totally shafted. i left the unit in the box during the move so when i finally opened it to set it up a few days ago, i realize there's only an RO system, and no DI unit, which was NOT what was advertised. i sent him 2 PM's and have yet to hear anything. i'm opening a paypal dispute tomorrow if i don't get a reply.

that being said, i bought LR before i realized the problem, so i had to use distilled water for the cycle. not that big a deal but it still peeves me right off. anyway, everything looks great, i used realreef rock from the LFS, very happy with it so far, not much life on it though. some bryozoans, a few strands of macros, and some tube worms. haven't even seen any bristle worms. i used caribsea oolite sand, a 20lb bag and it looks really nice.

pictur!

post-47862-0-85152500-1360352787_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

added a sixline and a firefish today, both from petco (no LFS around here). the SG was 1.011 in the bags and my tank was at 1.025, a bit of a shock to them- BUTTTT my ATO malfunctioned and dropped my SG down to 1.023, so hopefully they do okay. my CUC from Florida Pets is set to arrive any minute- got some nassarius snails, nerites, 'pods, and micro brittle stars.

the sixline seems fine, he's cruising around eating stuff off the rock. the firefish has picked a den but i can see his head and he looks alright, if not a bit spooked.

I'm following this setup. I see you got the MP10!

The salinity in the petco bag was 1.011?

i did! i love it, always wanted one. i can't run it very high though because i got oolite sand. it gets a bit dusty.

and it was! the fish are fine though, both out and about and both ate well today.

• 3 weeks later...

i've been ordering softies from colin at aquascapers. everything looks great and i always recommend colin for quality livestock and great freebies!

here's a few pictures.

post-47862-0-43716100-1363495495_thumb.jpg

post-47862-0-09487800-1363495511_thumb.jpg

damn cyanobacteria :scarry::scarry::scarry::scarry:

currently waiting to order an oxydator to increase dissolved O2 levels and siphoning the sandbed during weekly 10% WCs. i also need a TDS meter for my RO/DI, not sure i've gotten the waste/clean ratio right yet. i went to home depot and they don't have them? bizarre.

i'd like to get some pederson's shrimp soon, but i'm having a hard time locating a vendor for them. if anyone knows of anywhere, please pass on the link. i am sort of worried that valentine (my 6line) will harangue them, but i have lots of rics for them to hide in.

damn cyanobacteria :scarry::scarry::scarry::scarry:

currently waiting to order an oxydator to increase dissolved O2 levels and siphoning the sandbed during weekly 10% WCs. i also need a TDS meter for my RO/DI, not sure i've gotten the waste/clean ratio right yet. i went to home depot and they don't have them? bizarre.

i'd like to get some pederson's shrimp soon, but i'm having a hard time locating a vendor for them. if anyone knows of anywhere, please pass on the link. i am sort of worried that valentine (my 6line) will harangue them, but i have lots of rics for them to hide in.

You can buy the TDS meter on Amazon. I bought this one. It works well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T6L5M/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Did anything come out of your paypal dispute with iball?

By the way, I really like your aquascape. I considered the Nuvo 16 a strong contender for my tank before I bought my current tank. I always liked those tanks.

You can buy the TDS meter on Amazon. I bought this one. It works well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002T6L5M/ref=ox_ya_os_product

Did anything come out of your paypal dispute with iball?

By the way, I really like your aquascape. I considered the Nuvo 16 a strong contender for my tank before I bought my current tank. I always liked those tanks.

thanks for the link to the TDS meter, looks good and i have a prime account :)

and yes, we got it worked out. he sent me the $47 it cost to add the DI canister which he advertised as originally being with the unit. i believe he just mistakenly attached the wrong link to the posting, but i did purchase it with the belief that it was a full RO/DI unit and felt it fair to get what i ordered as advertised. i added the DI unit and it is working well (i think, awaiting the TDS reading obviously).

and thanks! there are a lot of places where flow doesn't reach though, hence part of my cyano problem. i want rics down the whole left side, where the rest of them are. i'll probably just order a 20 pack and finish it out that way.

thanks for the link to the TDS meter, looks good and i have a prime account :)

and yes, we got it worked out. he sent me the $47 it cost to add the DI canister which he advertised as originally being with the unit. i believe he just mistakenly attached the wrong link to the posting, but i did purchase it with the belief that it was a full RO/DI unit and felt it fair to get what i ordered as advertised. i added the DI unit and it is working well (i think, awaiting the TDS reading obviously).

and thanks! there are a lot of places where flow doesn't reach though, hence part of my cyano problem. i want rics down the whole left side, where the rest of them are. i'll probably just order a 20 pack and finish it out that way.

What setting and intensity do you keep your MP10?

What setting and intensity do you keep your MP10?

it's on reefcrest mode maxing out at 5/10. if i turn it up any higher it makes a sandstorm.

it's on reefcrest mode maxing out at 5/10. if i turn it up any higher it makes a sandstorm.

Reef crest rules! I can put mine on 10/10, but then some of the corals don't open. I usually keep it on 7-8/10. My sand must be larger than yours. It moves around a little, but it doesn't get pulled up into the water column. I only had a very brief experience with Cyano early on in the life of my tank. It seemed to resolve without any real intervention. Sorry I can't be more assistance with the cyano. Hopefully it goes away soon.

For the Pederson's shrimp check out sealifeinc.net periodically for them. They don't have them up right now, but I think they get them in the summer. They sell for $14 iirc. Also, LOVE the rics and the gorg. Looks fantastic so far. :)

I may have to get some aquascapers rics soon. They are always gorgeous. Especially the chartreuse one you have, and the teal one.

I may have to get some aquascapers rics soon. They are always gorgeous. Especially the chartreuse one you have, and the teal one.

and colin always sends great freebies! my last order for 3 rics and a gorg got me a free 4"+ black candelabra gorgonian.

Archived