Coral Vue Hydros

Its So Blue... Help!

victor52

Hey, everyone. With the New Year madness I backed right into my tank slightly moving my lights. All went black. I quickly unplugged it and found out that my warm white LED broke at the solder (I have 3, 2 royal blues and one warm white). I rigged it to work and all my coral now glow fantastically under the 2 RB. I was going to fix it first thing tomorrow morning but now I'm kinda enjoying my aquarium this color.

Will my coral actually grow with just the royal blues? I have different zoas,red mushrooms, hairy mushrooms, some leather, an acan, and GPS.

I have the Cree XT-E if that makes a difference.

Min. radiant flux 500mW @ 350mA

1500mA max. drive current

450-465nm wavelength

Forward voltage 2.85V (typical)-3.5V (maximum) @350mA

CREE part number XTEARY-00-0000-000000L01

I wouldn't. I mean you could, but I wouldn't expect much growth. There's an old MH expression "10K for growth 20K for color" for a reason.

Very true thats why a 14k was for color and growth.

Understood, oh well. What a great look it would have been. Off to sleep so I have the strength to solder an LED back tommorow.

One great thing about this forum. Work days, weekends and holidays... Not to mention at all hours, someone has got my back, answering the random questions on my mind. To bad the bonsai forums aren't as dedicated to my accumulation of knowledge. It's been 20 mins and no one has yet to answer my question... Bunch of slackers.

I wouldn't. I mean you could, but I wouldn't expect much growth. There's an old MH expression "10K for growth 20K for color" for a reason.

I've heard and read the same. I'm trying to track down some studies I've stumbled across whenI was debating which kessil blend to get. Basically the corals can use the shorter blue wavelenghts, but growth will be slowed. The trade off though is that color is improved. The best growth is usually seen with either a mix of all spectrums or higher kelvin ratings, but they usually result in loss of color and browning.

More blue= Better color and less growth

One resource if you like deep reading:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/aafeature

this one had a good section on photosynthesis and the use of separate wavelengths:

http://orphek.com/about/about-corals/

Understood, oh well. What a great look it would have been. Off to sleep so I have the strength to solder an LED back tommorow.

One great thing about this forum. Work days, weekends and holiday... Not to mention at all hours, someone has got my back, answering the random question on my mind. To bad the bonsai forums aren't as dedicated to my accumulation of knowledge. It's been 20 mins and no one has yet to answer my question... Bunch of slackers.

You into bonsai?

I know what you mean... I can't walk near old bushes without imagining what their potential could be. Sometime, after I look around to assure myself that no one is looking, I lift up the bottom branches and see if it has good nebari and wether or not it has taper. How many do you have? I have a good little herd! I love trident maples!!!

Thelizardkin

I'm not 100% sure if they will but all those corals are bulletproof I've seen them grow in tanks without a light that just use the rooms lighting and my lfs keeps those under a single t-8 bulb if anything slowed growth is good with those corals

jedimasterben

You'd have to be getting a lot of incident light from the room to grow anything. Royal blue LEDs alone will not grow coral.

Recent update: I fixed the problem... And I burned my finger. We are now in the coral growing buisness again. Not really.... Remember it's only a 1/2g

Archived