ReefCleaners.org

Bob's 7.5G Long, the re-boot

coachfraley

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To answer the lighting questions, yes I was using the 10,000k and actinic version.

So....my tank slowly started to get more and more mucked up with nuisance algae. I was getting cyano and I just couldnt get it to go away no matter how often I changed my water. I started losing zoas again, and the dying zoas fouled the water even more, so the water quality started to spiral down.

I decided to do a full reset on the tank. I moved my current rock and critters into an old 10g tank and I completely cleaned out the 7.5g. I bought new live rock and I have it in the tank, with sand (you were right eclipse) and I am letting it cycle. I'm thinking of running it very simple, with just a few SPS pieces (which seem to do better than zoas with my lighting).

I will post some pics when I get it all back up.

Ok, here is the re-boot. Not very pretty, but it is basically a new tank. I think I am going with SPS only, due to the intensity of my lighting in this shallow tank. Pics...

7gnewfts01.jpg

fish.jpg

unknownsps.jpg

Still better than my tank, lol. I've been dealing with hair algae, but I realized I've been putting off replacement of parts for my RODI unit for too long. Can't wait to see this tank grow.

Sps only ? Oh this is going to be amazing. If it's anything like the last time it'll be nothing short of awesome !!!

What kind of sps are you thinking about ?

Thanks folks! I'm probably going to go with low light sps, montipora confusa, maybe a couple of digitatas. I'm going to get small cuttings to help prevent hitchhikers. I wound up with some bubble algae last time from zoa frags.

Ok, picked up a confusa frag and two orange digitata frags. All 3 were tiny, so there is lots of room to grow.

I also picked up chaeto and started up my fuge in my ac70 again.

• 2 weeks later...

Bad news for my fish. I introduced a tiny clownfish to pair with my single clown, and the new clown introduced brooklynia (sp?) to the tank. Both clowns and my tailspot died within three days, it must have been a very strong strain.

The corals and my inverts are doing great. I now have two digitatas, the stylo, and montipora confusa.

I think I am going to keep the tank fish free until the disease clears my system. If I remember right, I think it is for 30 days. Then I have to decide how to stock it again. Overall very sad though. I had those fish for a long time.

Man,that's unfortunate !! Sorry to hear about your loss. Well,on the upside those sps will do great without the bio load !!

Any coral pics ?

• 4 weeks later...
coachfraley

Well, the bad luck continued...I got dyno's in the tank. I got frustrated and gutted the whole setup. Going to back to fresh for a while. I am using the ray2 light, an AC20, florite base substrate with a black sand cap, same heater. Stocking with cories, rummynose tetras, and a bolivian ram. Thanks to all that followed along. Here is a parting shot of the new setup. Peace out!

planted01.jpg

Archived