inTank Media Baskets

Bob's 7.5G Long, the re-boot

coachfraley

Like the tank. I am thinking of adding the same beamworks light to my evolve 8. Can you show a new FTS with the PAR 38?

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
coachfraley

So I think I finally found the perfect light for my tank. I originally had the beamworks light, which worked pretty well, but I think it was a better fit for my 3g pico. I switched to a par38 from ledtric, and it really just didn't light the tank very well. It was too dark on the sides, and I didn't like the coloration of the tank. The coloration of the corals was better than the beamworks, but I just didn't like the way the tank looked as a whole. They had the 18" finnex ray 2 light at my LFS, so I picked one up...and it seems to be the absolutely perfect light for this tank, IMO. The whole tank is lit up brilliantly now. The light is very crisp, but that is how I like it. The lighting looks much more like what you would expect from a T5 setup (which I have always liked).

My tanks has recovered from the small crash, and the corals are looking pretty good...with a few exceptions.

Here are some pics...with comparison shots of the different lights:

Beamworks Light (when all my corals were healthy):

7gfts09.jpg

Here is the best shot I could get with the par38 bulb:

7gfts11.jpg

And here is the tank under the finnex ray2 fixture:

7gfts12.jpg

The tank with the fixture on top:

finnexlight.jpg

Some zoa shots:

eagles.jpg

ringoffires.jpg

coachfraley

cool light can you select day and night mode separately or are they tied together? Tank is looking great btw :)

No, they are tied together with one switch. I am considering purchasing some kind if single or double moonlight to mount on the fixture, but I haven't found anything yet. I would want something that doesn't look cheesy. The fixture looks pretty slick right now.

Thanks Lalani!

coachfraley

The cyano in my tank started to come back a little, and I am starting to think that the ray 2 light is actually really bright for my tank (I was worried that it wouldnt be enough).

I put a screen around the light to cut the output a little and I dropped my photo period by an hour. Hopefully that will make a little bit of an impact on the cyano issue. I'll take some pics later in the week.

Paandemonium

I had a Ray over my frag tank it was a pretty decent light. How are the white/blue LEDs working for you? Your growth doing well?

coachfraley

I had a Ray over my frag tank it was a pretty decent light. How are the white/blue LEDs working for you? Your growth doing well?

I haven't had it long enough to comment on the growth yet, but it looks great, lol.

Paandemonium

I haven't had it long enough to comment on the growth yet, but it looks great, lol.

I always loved how thin it was lol I got good growth out of it hope you do too!

coachfraley

So I had a couple of spots of bubble algae starting to pop up in my tank. Luckily the emerald that I picked up likes the stuff, he mowed down almost all of it in a matter of days.

Here he is:

emeraldcrab.jpg

Male Clown. This guy go sucked into my AC70 impeller at one point, but he has really grown and colored up well.

maleclown.jpg

Tailspot. Observed him eating cyano today. This guy is an algae eating machine, never touched any food.

mrpeepers.jpg

coachfraley

Of course, right after I mention that my tailspot has never eaten any food...he starts eating flake. I guess it is a good sign, I think the amount of algae he has to munch on is starting to dwindle. Tank is looking much better.

Of course, right after I mention that my tailspot has never eaten any food...he starts eating flake. I guess it is a good sign, I think the amount of algae he has to munch on is starting to dwindle. Tank is looking much better.

Mine eats pretty much anything I feed. That's definitely a good thing because he still grazes on the algae, but I know that he'll stay alive even if there's not enough algae alone to sustain him. :D

Coachfraley, I am sure you have been asked this before but what camera and lenses are you using for you pics? All have them look great!

coachfraley

Coachfraley, I am sure you have been asked this before but what camera and lenses are you using for you pics? All have them look great!

Thanks for the compliment....I'm using a nikon d40x with the stock lense. I really should get a macro lense at some point.

coachfraley

I have been running my light with a mesh screen on it for a while. I pulled it off today, lets how the corals react. Everything has been doing really well. Tank is looking as good as it did before my little crash. Also started mixing my own salt, so hopefully that will help out as well. I'm using Red Sea coral pro at 1.024.

I picked up two more zoa varieties, so now I'm almost full again. I'll post some pics tonight.

coachfraley

How do your clowns treat your blenny? Thinking of adding one...

They get along great. They don't even fight at dinner time.

New FTS:

7gfts13.jpg

Some new zoas, haven't looked for a name yet:

newtealzoas.jpg

More new zoas, with a clownfish photobomb:

newgreenzoas1.jpg

Huge paly I picked up...one of the largest orange palys I have ever seen:

bigasspaly.jpg

Like this pic:

coolpic.jpg

Envy oranges have rebounded finally:

envyoranges1.jpg

Red Hornets also came back:

redhornets.jpg

coachfraley

Damn those are nice. I've been thinking of getting this tank as an upgrade for my edge.

I love the dimensions. In person, it looks like more than 7.5g.

Great looking little tank. I'm glad I found this thread, looking forward to following it along!

Thanks Mark!

Those dimensions are what I like, I think it's perfect for my living room. I also like that it's a bowfront, I think I'll like for that extra swimming room in case I get a fish or some piece that would stick out towards the front to add more depth etc.

coachfraley

Nice collection of zoa's! Where do you buy online? I'm diggin the progress.

Thanks, I do almost all of my livestock purchases at my LFS, believe it or not. I picked up 3 varieties from local reefers.

RideTheLightning

Thanks for the compliment....I'm using a nikon d40x with the stock lense. I really should get a macro lense at some point.

Glad to hear - I have the same camera and I was hoping it would be suitable for shooting my tank once I get a new lens. (I got sand in the stock lens on a climbing trip and it's cooked.) I'm going to look into a moderately priced macro lens for it.

You have some really nice pics in the thread.

Archived