Innovative Marine Aquariums

Reeferman's Evo 8

reeferman81

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree I'm actually returning the skimmer I bought for this build. I will be exporting more dissolved solids and waste through weekly water changes. By doing these water changes I personally don't think the skimmer would be a big,benefit.

I typically change a little more than 1/2g a week (the container I use is 3qts.) I mix 3g at a time so I have some on had for emergencies.

• Like 1

I agree I'm actually returning the skimmer I bought for this build. I will be exporting more dissolved solids and waste through weekly water changes. By doing these water changes I personally don't think the skimmer would be a big,benefit.

Ok finally getting around to drilling the holes in chamber one, also got a small cleanup crew today still waiting for my fuge light to get here.

Got a Jason Fox Meteor Shower frag and a Sunset Monti frag. Still waiting for my fuge light and for my tank to finish cycling sorry no new pics yet. Here is a crappy pic of my meteor shower frag.

post-77662-0-75776800-1357018488_thumb.jpg

I actually put in a PenPlax glass heater. Worked fine.

Can you give some details (build) on the Media Basket you built? Heading to petco tonight to get the MJ400 THANKS for this thread.

OR could you make one and I buy it?

• Like 1

Come on Reefer..Need some UPDATES.

Maybe you or FlypenFly can explain the flow of the chamber to me. I know there is a small hole and I am assuming this is the inlet, currently I am still using the cartridge that came with the tank until I get more info on the media basket build. Will the notch be enough or will I also need to drill a few holes?

Come on Reefer..Need some UPDATES.

Maybe you or FlypenFly can explain the flow of the chamber to me. I know there is a small hole and I am assuming this is the inlet, currently I am still using the cartridge that came with the tank until I get more info on the media basket build. Will the notch be enough or will I also need to drill a few holes?

Sorry for the delay I've been out of town on business trip. As far ass the media rack goes I used egg crate from Home Depot and super glued it together I'll put the exact measurements up tomorrow, I also cut a notch out so the the basket fits in the chamber. As for flow I do suggest drilling 1/4 inch holes in the bottom of the first chamber and sandwich a piece of filter floss in between some egg crate and place it on the bottom of the first chamber. I am going to post a schematic tomorrow of the mods that I've done so far so everyone can see and copy or criticize. Sorry again for taking so long to reply hope everyone had great New Year.

I actually put in a PenPlax glass heater. Worked fine.

Can you give some details (build) on the Media Basket you built? Heading to petco tonight to get the MJ400 THANKS for this thread.

OR could you make one and I buy it?

If you want one I'll make you one I think I actually have some plexi glass laying around I could make you one out of that it would be a little more sleeker plus I have access to a CNC at work. It's up to you.

• Like 1
I'm using the mini Hydor one. Doesn't take up much room which means more room for my mesh bags of mixed media.

Thats the one I ended up getting. I seen the Cobalt heater with LCD display but the fish store I stopped by in Vancuvor on my trip wanted 50 bucks US for it crazy I did find some frags that I shipped home for cheap.

If you want one I'll make you one I think I actually have some plexi glass laying around I could make you one out of that it would be a little more sleeker plus I have access to a CNC at work. It's up to you.

Just tell me how much and shipping, because I simply don't have time. If I am not running to scouts (scout leader) or to soccer (vp of EASC soccer club) I'm working.

Also since I've upgraded the filter it rattles a lot and it annoys the crap out of me. Maybe u have a better solution

How are you liking the ai nano light? I'm in the process of an 8g build and I am leaning twords the ai nano. Tank looks nice.

I had this exact tank, sweet little thing. Par 38 is plenty for this tank as well, much cheaper than an ai nano. Both are kickass lights!

• Like 1

My friend is using par bulbs and I do not like them.. No dimming or adjustability. Not very impressed with them.. Ai nano looks like a very nice clean light. Dimmable and controllable for sunrise sunset.. Seems like a much better option.

Bright aquatics makes a dimmable full spectrum par38. Sunrise/sunset isn't important but it is nice to be able to acclimate new additions by turning down the lights.

How are you liking the ai nano light? I'm in the process of an 8g build and I am leaning twords the ai nano. Tank looks nice.

I love the AI Nano it is pricey but you get what you pay for. Also the new wireless controller is awesome it has 30 timers, coral acclimation mode,and weather effects such as thunderstorm mode and cloud sweeping, I just ordered AI Vegas for my 300 gal mixed reef can't wait til they get here I'm also using my other AI nano on a ADA shallow reef/volcano tank 15 gal. AI makes awesome stuff and their warranty department rocks.

Just tell me how much and shipping, because I simply don't have time. If I am not running to scouts (scout leader) or to soccer (vp of EASC soccer club) I'm working.

Also since I've upgraded the filter it rattles a lot and it annoys the crap out of me. Maybe u have a better solution

Yeah I'll work on it tomorrow at work and should have it ready for you by Wednesday message me your address. I'll figure out shipping and have a total for you. Did you want it made out of plexi glass? Also what type of filter upgrade did you do. Sorry no pics today still working on the Schematic I'm a bit OCD lol...

This is a great aquarium but I think I've decided to transition to a drilled overeflowed ADA 60-F with a sump. There's just too much crap getting into Chamber 1 and I think it's too cubic to have sufficient swimming room for Clownfish.

WIth just gobies or maybe even a Dartfish, it's a lot more practical but my stocking is just impractical for this setup.

BY the way, the AI Nano is a perfect fit on this thing with the stock AI mount. You just need to drill 3 small holes from chamber 1 to chamber 2 to help with the flow, very easy to do with a cheap drill. I also just used playing cards in a small plastic bag to act as a backstop for the mount.

• Like 1

Yeah I'll work on it tomorrow at work and should have it ready for you by Wednesday message me your address. I'll figure out shipping and have a total for you. Did you want it made out of plexi glass? Also what type of filter upgrade did you do. Sorry no pics today still working on the Schematic I'm a bit OCD lol...

Plexi or egg crate which ever is better.

I upgraded to the MJ400

• Like 1

Did a water test stirred up the substrate then took samples and the parameters look awesome. Also did water change afterwards.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrates: 0

Nitrites: 0

Phosphate:.01

PH: 8.0

Calcium: 412

Alkalinity: 8 a little low for my taste usually like it around 10.

Temp: is 76.7 °f

SG: 1.26

This means time for live stock.

I did add to things beside my cleanup crew. I added a Yasha Hayes shrimp goby and a Randalls Pistol shrimp their already paired up this will be the only fish in the tank to keep the nutrient low for SPS. Coral shopping this weekend plus I'll be fragging some of my mother colonies in my DT plus I have some frags in my frag tank. Definitely pics coming soon plus I added some LR rubble to the first chamber.

Archived